Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Australia thing

Options
  • 18-01-2006 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey was considering doing the Australia thing just wondering if anyone has done it or knows anyone who has and could recommend where to go. Really wanna do it, hoping to eventually move there but just too much choice. Have friends in adelaide, sydney and the gold coast but just looking for any thoughts on where might be nice for a visit. .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Yeah well you know there's that whole obvious ucd-oz link, its a tradition we're proud of:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Marx

Yup, I travelled round there for a year in 03-04, took a year outta college to do it.

Sydney is where everyone goes,especially bondi beach if you're Irish.Also known as county bondi.But to be honest having spent 4 months living and working in sydney I wouldn't recommend it.Sure you've got fantastic beaches, great weather etc, but the people there aren't the friendliest, and it's very much 'super fashion' land...

In summary, it's like a mini-london with good weather and beaches.While that might be someones heaven it wasn't for me.

Melbourne is fvckin cool, great city and my favourite part of Australia. Very european feel to the city, really friendly people (As they dont get half as many backpackers as Sydney).Cool clubs, really original independent clothes shops and cafes, and a great diverse music scene.Gets nippy in the Winter (Our summer), but overall, way better than sydney.

Theres so much more to explain, but I really cant be arsed typing anymore.

Hope this helps somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hey Elle,

I went to Australia for a year before college and it was amazing. I totally agree with everything Marx said. Melbourne is most definitely way better than Sydney. Most people head staright for Sydney and as a result getting work is quite difficult. In Melbourne it's a lot easier. Theres just a really nice feel about the place, very laid back and the people are great.

Sydney is nice for a visit. I stayed there for about 2 and a half months and its very easy to spend money. (Bank machines in 24 hour bars is a bad bad bad idea)

Adelaide is nice too.....a bit quiet but still beautiful. The weather during the summer is fantastic. If you plan to head for Adelaide you should definitely do the Great Ocean Road. Beautiful.

When I was there I met up with my sister in Sydney (she had been in S. E. Asia for 5 months) and we headed to Melbourne to meet up with some friends of mine from New Zealand. We decided to buy a van and do a roadtrip before I had to go home and before my sister headed on to N.Z. We went from Melbourne, Great Ocean Road, Adelaide, right up the middle to Ayres Rock (amazing!) Alice Springs, over to Townsville and down the Gold Coast back to Sydney. It was an amazing trip. (Be sure to check out Dreamworld on the Gold Coast too)

It was an amazing year and I fully intend to go back for a few months before I head to NZ for a year....which will hopefully be within the next 2 years.

I had heard that the working holiday visas have changed from a year to two years (not sure if this is true) and this means that you can now stay with the one employer for six months as opposed to the previous three months. Should make a lot more people willing to take on backpackers.

Hope you do go and I hope you have a ball. :p

Steph

(PS: If you do go, be sure to head to the Melbourne market at the top of Elizabeth St. Head to Tribel Cafe for the best cappucino you will ever have in your life....I worked there for 3 months and the owner Sophie is a total legend)

Advertisement