Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car speakers

Options
  • 18-01-2006 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

Just wondering what do you mainly look for in car speakers, when assessing the quality of them? Is it just the watt???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Usually RMS output - Root Mean Squared level and not the Max. output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cannyf

Cheers,

But the RMS is expressed in watts, so say speaker RMS is 50 watts with a maximum of 150, would that be considered a pretty good speaker.

I have a radio that is 45/50 watt for the speakers.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

As Ciars said you judge by the RMS not Max powers.Manufacturers like to slap huge max power ratings on speakers to catch attention but if you check for the rms it'l generally be very low.

You speakers would be lucky to ever seen the max power being delivered to them for a second or two and no more without them distorting or going up in smoke!

Your head units power is rated in max too,normally headunits are about 13rms per channel,in short you'l never get the best sound out of any speaker in a car unless its amped.Youl find by using a high rms speaker onb a headunit that it distorts fairly quick due to the Hu's internal amp clipping trying to power it.

In saying that if you not that fussy about your sound quality you can run any speaker from the Hu at a grand volume,you'l just be suprised by the clarity from the same speaker run from an amp.

Is there any specific speakers your looking at/for?Contrary to believe sony's car audio stuff other than headunits is actually fairly crap,likewise are jvc and kenwood.Pioneers higher end stuff is good but again being run off the standard radio you'l never get the best from the speaker

Cheers eireal,

I have a blaupunkt valencia mp3/cd radio which has (4 x 25W RMS) - similiar spec to: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/barcelona.asp and was just thinking about up grading the speakers. I was looking at blaupunkt THX 693 on http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/spkr1_7.asp

Cheers anyway, very helpful info from both posters !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the p80 mp unit i got got a freakin-hell 27watts per channel output........

pity the radio is usa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

legs11 wrote:
    the p80 mp unit i got got a freakin-hell 27watts per channel output........

pity the radio is usa...
    Does this post make no sense to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

fletch wrote:
    Does this post make no sense to anyone else?

TBH. I can't be bothered to read it. :)

Hello,

Just further on from the previous post, my headunit is 4 * 25 (rms) and the speakers are 70(rms each 2 rear) and 50(rms each 2 front). Is this ok for the headunit in that it wont blow it??

Any other opinions would be welcomed!!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

You wont blow the HU unless you constantly play it as loud and overheat the amp even then youd probably blow a speaker first from distortion.

You'l be able to run them fine but as i said before you wont get the best sound from them just run off the Hu but if your not super fussy on sound quality you'l be grand!

Advertisement