Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber advice please

Options
  • 18-01-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

In our original Building Spec, we had internal solid pine doors with white deal door frames, architraves and skirting. We now want to change the internal doors to solid white oak. At this stage our W.D. door frames are fitted, skirting is fitted - but left loose for the timber flooring - and our architraves are delivered and stacked in the sitting-room.

I'm trying to decide whether at this stage we should replace all with matching white oak frames, architraves and skirting, before we go any further. I've sought advice from carpenters and painters but can't seem to arrive at any harmonious conclusion. So I guess our options are:

1. Fit all the White Deal, hang the oak doors, and hope that with varnish/stain, they'll look ok together.

2. Replace just the architraves and at least have matching doors and architraves. Leave the rest a la 1 above.

3. Pull out existing frames and skirting and fit all matching white oak.

We just want it to look ok. We came across a couple of rules of thumb along the way such as:
    "You'll never stain a soft wood to match a hardwood";
    "Match you architraves to your doors and your skirting to your floors" (We're putting down oak floors).

All advice welcome, as tradesmen so far are reluctant to be telling us what to do, but it's advice we're looking for!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

White skirting boards look very nice with wooden floors and if you look in many of the ideal homes types magazines you will see just this as it sets off the colour of the floor quite well.
    We are at the same stage as yourself and have a red oak stairs being fitted and now are trying to decide on what type of doors etc.
    There is a big price difference between the deal and the oak.
    If price is not a consideration I would go with the oak architrave and doors and leave the skirting boards white.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks Soledad,
    Do you mean paint the skirting white? Interesting, that's what our painter suggested. I was just talking to a friend who said that even if I fit oak architraves, that the white deal door frames will look odd beside them, and she suggested painting the frames white before fitting oak architrave.

I would use trial and error if I had the time .... I just find it hard to picture the outcome of the various options ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Yes paint the skirting boards white....this looks lovely next to wooden flooring.
    You often see white painted door frames with oak doors also.....
    I think we will go with oak frames and architrave and doors and white painted skirting boards.

Advertisement