Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should the speed limit go back up?

Options
  • 18-01-2006 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Well nearly a year now since the speed limit changed to 80KPH. Do you think it should go up to 100KPH, roughly what it used to be? I think bringing it down to 80KPH has only frustrated drivers as they get fed up going so slow. Although I don't know the statistics I'd be pretty sure if anything road deaths have gone up since the new speed limits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Nope. I think the 80 km/hr limit is a good one, in fact I would like to see a 30 km/hr in more places.

HOWEVER often the problem with speed limits is that they are set in some ridiculous places. What I would like to see is more sensible placment of speed limits. i.e. when it's a 80 km/hr zone it should be warranted, not just because we think we should.

So as for bringing the 80 to 100, as a general speed limit, no I would not like to see this, however I would like to see a review and better deployment of speed limits around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There are plenty of good R roads that should be 100 while there are also lots of rotten N roads that should be 80. Unfortunately that sort of thinking is too complex for the authorities here.

Apparently the local authorities have the discretion to raise limits where warranted as well as imposing lower limits. Anyone know of a section of non N-road that has a limit higher than 80?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The national speed limit was never lowered. In fact it was raised. Whether those roads which had their limit reduced, needed to have it reduced, I couldn't say.

Yeah it pretty dumb in places.

The Naas to Kilcullen road is one example of 80 that should have stayed at 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

seamus wrote:
    The national speed limit was never lowered. In fact it was raised. Whether those roads which had their limit reduced, needed to have it reduced, I couldn't say.

Not quite. The national limit was done away with. All N-roads were increased slightly to a limit of 100kph while all other roads were reduced to 80kph with the option for local authorities to arbitrarily alter limits locally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement