Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on Mazda MPV

Options
  • 18-01-2006 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

My plans to get a Toyota Previa have just gone up in smoke as I need something with 4 passenger doors and the 97 Jap Previa only has 3.

So now I'm thinking about a Jap Mazda MPV, 2.5 Diesel, Auto as seen here:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=232156

Anyone know anything about them? What mpg could I expect from it? anyone got one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Or, what kind of mpg will any 2.5D auto do?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my guess would be 28-32 mpg. probably 4 speed auto

I was hoping for better than 30ish, don't know what to do now as I have to ring a guy tomorrow morning and let him know either way.
    Thanks for the input ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was hoping for better than 30ish, don't know what to do now as I have to ring a guy tomorrow morning and let him know either way.
    Thanks for the input ;)

As an alternative did you consider a Honda Stream?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=217176
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=223581

I know it is a petrol but it is a 7 seater and has 4 doors.

Another one to consider is the Picnic although it is smaller than the Previa:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=295973

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I am running a jap previa and get tops 32 mpg.The engine in the mpv is the same as the mazda Bongo ,ford freda,and the ford ranger.They have a overheating thing going on and can crack heads easily .Saying that the previas do as well .I blew the gasket on mine got it fixed but apparently have a small crack somewhere else it 'uses' about a litre of coolant every couple of months.Look for UK user group for mazda Bongo thats were i got the above info.Even with the above problems the previa is a brilliant car and i would get another, the space and comfort ars amazing ,go for a G spec car.And the lack of a secound rear door is something you get used to having a sliding door for loading kids and stuff makes up for this,imho.If you have the time import your own, the dealers tend to buy grade 3 or 3.5's and look to make a good 3 or 4ks profit on a 10k car.Look on google for 'japanese cars catalog' there is a russian site ,in english with loads of pics and auction prices.
    I bought of a guy on the docks found out later the car was a grade 3 and he landed it for about 6 and i paid 10 and the cyclinder head went within 4 weeks .He paid for the repair but i would do it differently when i replace my current one.

• Advertisement

bazz26, I did consider the picnic, as it has a 2.2 Diesel engine.
    For the mileage I do (about 30k per year) I definitely feel the need to get a Diesel.

The MPV in question comes with 50k, is 1996, full service, new timing belt, NCT and 4 new tyres for €7600 - no warranty though!!

andyeire, unfortunately my job dictates that I must have 4 passenger doors, am gutted that the Previa won't do, really had my heart set on one.

Presently, I have a manual, 2Ltr. petrol Rover that in my opion is a tad thirsty, could I hope to do better than this do ye think?

Cheers Bazz, thanks for going to that trouble, appreciated.
    Had a look at one today and thought it just looked a bit........ugly.:D

I think I'd be very happy with the Mazda if I could get 30+ per gallon from it.
    Didn't think I'd like the 4x4 jeep look and feel to it, but it was quite nice to see all around me, felt solid too.

I know I'm gonna lose mpg with an automatic anyway, but as my lower back can't take the clutch anymore...............!

Ok, apologies for throwing in yet more fuel comsumption questions.
    Would a 2 wheel drive be more economical than a 4x4 version of the same MPV?

Does anyone have a 2.5 Diesel jeep, mpv etc? what mpg are you getting around town?

Thanks.

Ok, apologies for throwing in yet more fuel comsumption questions.
    Would a 2 wheel drive be more economical than a 4x4 version of the same MPV?

Does anyone have a 2.5 Diesel jeep, mpv etc? what mpg are you getting around town?

Thanks.

I would say yes as the 4WD uses a different drive train which is heavier than the 2WD version hence making the vehicle less economical.

• Advertisement

Well, for better or for worse I put a holding deposit on one today.
    So I'll be able to answer all my unanswered questions in a few days time.

Ended up buying one privately that was NCT'd just 10 days ago and saving myself over €3000 on the same car from a dealer (who was not giving a warranty anyway)

Tis a bit grubby inside and I'll want to do the timing belt soon enough, but hey, I'll have a lot of change out of €3000, happy days (I hope)

Thanks to Bazz, Andy and Colm for all the input, cheers lads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like a bargain

Advertisement