Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa ripping....

Options
  • 18-01-2006 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi all, after a bit of advice. Bought a new corner suite in October last year and I have now noticed that the Seating cushions are frayed and ripping open!! There is only 2 of us using it so no abuse of it etc... Problem is that I paid cash for it and now can't find the reciept - typical. If I go back and complain what can I expect? Do I have any grounds here? The company delivered it to me so surely they will have a record? I paid well over a grand for this and am not a happy bunny:mad: Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

don't think the normal warranty covers the wear of the material, only the structure of it itself.

they would have a record of the receipt, no problems there, but I guess if they do do something about it, it would be out of goodwill.
    you can't prove that it wasn't abused.

probably won't help you but for exactly that reason I got myself a 5 year product insurance when buying my sofa suite at home, which even covers deliberate damage to the sofa, think it cost 10% of the purchase price, so in my case it was 300 Euros, but the cover is defo worth the extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Your ass could be a bit too big for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

MrSinn wrote:
    Your ass could be a bit too big for it?

Very helpful indeed - your talents are wasted:D

So Gilgamesh I'm pretty much screwed? Surely a sofa of this price shouldn't be in this condition after a few months? And the vendor should be repairing or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

skye wrote:
    Hi all, after a bit of advice. Bought a new corner suite in October last year and I have now noticed that the Seating cushions are frayed and ripping open!! There is only 2 of us using it so no abuse of it etc... Problem is that I paid cash for it and now can't find the reciept - typical. If I go back and complain what can I expect? Do I have any grounds here? The company delivered it to me so surely they will have a record? I paid well over a grand for this and am not a happy bunny:mad: Any advice appreciated.
    Without a receipt or some proof of purchase you are a bit on the back foot. First thing I'd do is call the shop and ask them to send you a copy of the Invoice - you don't need to say why you want it but if they press you can say for a tax return. White lie!

Legally you're entitled to repair/refund. http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_rights_and_protection/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html?search=consumer+rights
    Consumer law also aims to ensure that goods are safe and are manufactured to an acceptable standard.
    For 1000 I don't think the material should be going after a few months.

You could also give these guys a call and get some free professional advice (as opposed to the half assed advice you'll get here)
    http://www.eccdublin.ie/

• Advertisement

Thanks PaschalNee!! Will follow these up and let you know how I get on...

Advertisement