Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those awkward college moments

Options
  • 18-01-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Your friendly neighbourhood nice guy has some slightly shocking news to report - I'm not the best when it comes to social situations. I also think it's fair to say from my experience at UCD...D that these awkward college social situations are quite difficult and for me they tend to happen alot.

Situations like the following...

Girl you kind of know sitting near you talking to a male friend of hers

This happened to me on Monday. I know the girl's name and have chatted to her on about two occasions but with the long Christmas break having occurred and the fact that she was chatting to some nincompoop (excuse my language) I decided that it would be best to not say anything at all.

Result: Awkward moment

Walking down hallway when you spot someone you know but while they see you, you see them too late so it appears to them that you have simply ignored them.

Don't you just hate this? You're in your own little world daydreaming about who would win in a fight between Superman and Pat Paterson, when you spot someone you know. However, you see them too late to do a stop and chat so to they get the impression that you have simply ignored them.

You see someone you know fairly well sitting across from you in a lecture hall but neither of you is willing to move towards the other.

You're on one side, they're on the other and while you end up recognising each other...nothing happens. Maybe just a wave or nod of acknowledgement before you spend the rest of the lecture trying not to lock eye contact with the other person.

You're not quite sure if you see someone you know sitting across from you in a lecture hall so you stare for a while trying to figure it out. You then realise that you were right after all...

Anyone with dodgy eyesight can relate to this one. You strain your eyes trying to figure out if the person across from you is really someone you know and when you realise it is, so much time has passed that they get the distinct impression you have simply seen them but chosen to ignore them.

Result: Awkward moment and perhaps a visit to the opticians.

I don't know about you guys but I tend to find myself in these kinds of situations all the time!

Have any of you got any more awkward moments you can relate to? Let's hear 'em!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Mmmm none of those are awkward moments to me tbh. I think you just lack confidence when it comes to interacting with people.

For example, if you see someone u know across the hall, catch their eye and give them a wave. they're certain to wave back (unless you're a complete freak). Once they do, just go over and sit near them and have a quick chat. If things get awkward don't panic, the lecture will start soon and u can use that as ur cue to end converstation.

You can't win if you're not in as they say!

Walking in to an undergrad lab to demonstrate and seeing the girl you scored the previous night at the sci ball...... now that's an awkward moment!

Edit: correcting a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

irlrobins wrote:
    Walking in to an undergrad lab to demonstrate and seeing the girl you scored the previous night at the sci ball...... now that's an awkward moment!

Cringe!!! I agree with irlrobins tho! I think if you're in any of those situations mentioned by Mr. NG you gota just push through and make contact even if you think the moment has passed and you're too late. Chances are, the other person is in that moment too so will welcome any form of communication made by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I farted beside a real hottie in one of my lectures today. Now some would find that akward, to me that's just funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I farted beside a real hottie in one of my lectures today. Now some would find that akward, to me that's just funny.

You'll end up with a minger sonny, how could you not wait ffs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I’m ridiculously bad at recognising people and to add to the problem I’m short sighted even with my glasses, yea stereotypical science nerd:p , so I often don’t recognise people until I’ve passed them or at least am not sure and put my head down, it’s a bad habit but it’s worse waving at some one only to realise you don’t know them at all and look like a complete tool (worse when they’re a pretty girl!:o ) Don’t lose any sleep over it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

MNG - none of those are awkward moments, your life is quite magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Those awkward moments are sooooo right. One of the things on that list happens to me every single day at some point. All you have to do to resolve any of these problems is to nod your head at the person in question.... it's easier said than done though when things are speeding along.

One of the things I frequently find is: i'm walking beside someone and chatting to them.... but I want to go somewhere else... but i'm trapped in a conversation with them. Still not too sure how to get out of this one as it usually requires the conversation to be abruptly ended. Also if you let it go on too long you can find yourself over the other side of the campus when you don't want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

humbert wrote:
    I’m ridiculously bad at recognising people and to add to the problem I’m short sighted even with my glasses, yea stereotypical science nerd:p , so I often don’t recognise people until I’ve passed them or at least am not sure and put my head down, it’s a bad habit but it’s worse waving at some one only to realise you don’t know them at all and look like a complete tool (worse when they’re a pretty girl!:o ) Don’t lose any sleep over it though.
    This is spot on, the bits I've put in bold completely apply to me as well.

Nice one Mr. - er - NiceGuy for posting this thread, deadly idea.:v:

I'll post a more in-depth analysis of my awkward moments, but at the moment so many are springing salmon-like to mind that it'll take ages to sift through the legions of them and find the most horrifically cringe-worthy ones!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I wouldn't consider any of those akward.
    I have a definite winner that I can't repeat here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

What always happens to me is that people say hi to me when I don't see them and I'm surprised and my "hi" is always high-pitched and its rather embarrassing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well this happened to a lovely but rather unfortunate young lady I know....personally I'd never go to college ever again, but at least she's good humoured about it.

Akward, is walking from the water tower to the student bar, having just gotten out of a car on a windy day, in a skirt, and put your bag on (wait for it), having lots of people staring at you as you walk past, and whistling when they're behind you, including the guy you went out with last semester who was a syphilis riddled arrogant crack whore with gross delusions of grandeur (i hate him too)....

then a stranger comes up to you to tell you that you've pretty much walked the lenght of the campus at lunch time with the end of your skirt tooked in to your knickers with your ass on display for the whole of the campus to see

(putting bag on, flowy skirt got caught)...

and by stranger I mean that guy who was in your tutorial last year, who's name you can't remember....and who just as it so happens, happens to be in the same class the following day for a same module you'll be doing till the summer

I've had a few other akward moments, these however are usually solved with alcohol. And by solved I mean, permanently removed from memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Surprised she didnt feel the wind on her bare ass. Poor thing.Hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i've found the best way to avoid awkward college moments - dont interact with anyone in your class. it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ive a problem witht the not recognising ppl thing as well when I dont wear my glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

JustCoz wrote:
    What always happens to me is that people say hi to me when I don't see them and I'm surprised and my "hi" is always high-pitched and its rather embarrassing!

Ah that always happens to me-its worse when your in a room or lecture hall and you wierd squeaky 'hi' just echoes around the room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Girl you kind of know sitting near you talking to a male friend of hers

This happened to me on Monday. I know the girl's name and have chatted to her on about two occasions but with the long Christmas break having occurred and the fact that she was chatting to some nincompoop (excuse my language) I decided that it would be best to not say anything at all.

Result: Awkward

Yeah awkward-ish moment but TBH I would have done the same because I don't like to interrupt people having a conversation esp. since i wouldn't know one of the people.
    Walking down hallway when you spot someone you know but while they see you, you see them too late so it appears to them that you have simply ignored them.

Don't you just hate this? You're in your own little world daydreaming about who would win in a fight between Superman and Pat Paterson, when you spot someone you know. However, you see them too late to do a stop and chat so to they get the impression that you have simply ignored them.

Happens all the time to me too. For example our messiah Pat Paterson could walk straight into the room I'm in, sit right next to me and I would not recognise him. I'm a pr!ck for not recognising people. I don't do it intentionally but esp. around campus it's so easy to do this. If any of you ever see me around campus and I'm not recognising you, you have permission to slap me.
    You see someone you know fairly well sitting across from you in a lecture hall but neither of you is willing to move towards the other.

You're on one side, they're on the other and while you end up recognising each other...nothing happens. Maybe just a wave or nod of acknowledgement before you spend the rest of the lecture trying not to lock eye contact with the other person.

Just go over to them. Maybe the reason you're not going over is because you're either uncomfortable around them (hence want to avoid them) or you're just a bit shy (which we can all be at times). If someone I know (I mean well enough to have a convo with) is by themselves I'd go over unless they are with other people then I'd probably leave it.
    You're not quite sure if you see someone you know sitting across from you in a lecture hall so you stare for a while trying to figure it out. You then realise that you were right after all...

Anyone with dodgy eyesight can relate to this one. You strain your eyes trying to figure out if the person across from you is really someone you know and when you realise it is, so much time has passed that they get the distinct impression you have simply seen them but chosen to ignore them.

Result: Awkward moment and perhaps a visit to the opticians.

Thankfully I've decent eyesight once I'm not half asleep but TBH if they havent gone over to you then there in the same position as you either a bit tense or they just hate you!
    I don't know about you guys but I tend to find myself in these kinds of situations all the time!

Have any of you got any more awkward moments you can relate to? Let's hear 'em!

The reason why this happens so often is simply because of the large scale campus nature! If you're in Arts as you are the whole building, the make up of the course is so informal that these situations will arise far more often than if you were in a small course in small college where you know and interact with people far better. Simply with myself I know too many faces and not enough of the people where I can stop and have a chat with people.

For example: other day walking out of campus and straight ahead of me is a girl who i kinda knew from a tutorial last year walking towards me. Only ever had about 2 chats with her and i hadn't spoken to her in probably 9 months so as we walk past each other we both carry on walking as normally. Very awkward. Would that have happened in smaller college where you have a chance to know people better? Less likely tbh.

Bottom line is you'll have those awkward moments like that until your very final day out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

moving over to sit beside somone you think you know .........falling flat on your arse..everybody seeing.... then realising that the person is not who ya think it is... now thats awkward and mortifying

[happened today in linguistics... waltons would have been a witness if he had turned up!!]

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For example: other day walking out of campus and straight ahead of me is a girl who i kinda knew from a tutorial last year walking towards me. Only ever had about 2 chats with her and i hadn't spoken to her in probably 9 months so as we walk past each other we both carry on walking as normally. Very awkward. Would that have happened in smaller college where you have a chance to know people better? Less likely tbh.

Bottom line is you'll have those awkward moments like that until your very final day out here.

Yeah you're right about that. Arts is a pain with it being so huge and the longer you go without seeing anyone the more awkward it is when you see that person again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Scraggs wrote:
    moving over to sit beside somone you think you know .........falling flat on your arse..everybody seeing.... then realising that the person is not who ya think it is... now thats awkward and mortifying

[happened today in linguistics... waltons would have been a witness if he had turned up!!]

I turned up for the first lecture and then dropped it :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Waltons: I turned up for the first lecture and then dropped it
    Ditto!

And I can relate to some of these... It's nice to know other people feel as weird around UCD! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Had one today.

Saw this guy I knew from doing BelfieldFM back in November, and our paths were about to cross. We made eye contact, I gave him a thumbs-up and said (loudly enuff) "Hey!"...

...And he blanked me. But tbh that's cos I've grown a beard and tied my hair back since the last time I saw him, so I'm almost convinced he didn't recognise me.

Almost. Grrr.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

So sitting at the seats that look onto that Arts courtyard. Stand up with some friends and start to make a move. I finish my drink and crush the can with a manly flex. I throw it towards the bin only to watch it sail over the rim and hit a guy sitting down getting his photo taken at the TravelCard stand.
    I spluttered out an apology and walked away breaking my shíts laughing.

Sangre, I love you, will you marry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I find talking to people for 20 minutes while struggling to remember their name before someone comes along who you know and are expected to introduce to person x kind of mortifying. The really obvious waiting for them to introduce eachother thing inevitably blows up in your face.

I was at a birthday last week and had to catch a sly look at the cards to see what the Bday girls name was!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ouch!

Waltons wrote:
    I turned up for the first lecture and then dropped it :v:
    yeah was so bloody boring wasnt it!!
    I noticed ya legged it out before i got a chance to say hi...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Legging it is my speciality, it seems ;)
    Awful lecture, it was. Sorry about legging it though! I had no idea you were there though since I don't know what you look like :(

haha yeah i figured that! I was sitting bout three rows in front on the opposite aisle [blonde wearing pink..] i had the really squeaky chair so when i was turnin around to try catch ur eye i was really loud! dont think ya saw me.. ha thinkin back now it prob would have been real weird to have this crazy stranger trying to wave at ya quietly! oh well c ya at beers so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Roxy*

i am a walking awkward person. i hate awkwardness,....who ever invented it DIE!!!!! its so mean!!! i hate it
    so lets just try be comfortable, DO NOT
    its WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse

Advertisement