Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those awkward college moments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

The thing about awkward moments is: it can always get worse, never think 'well that's the worst of it over at least', coz that's just when the bowl movements kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Scraggs wrote:
    haha yeah i figured that! I was sitting bout three rows in front on the opposite aisle [blonde wearing pink..] i had the really squeaky chair so when i was turnin around to try catch ur eye i was really loud! dont think ya saw me.. ha thinkin back now it prob would have been real weird to have this crazy stranger trying to wave at ya quietly! oh well c ya at beers so...

I can't really remember much about that lecture as I was drifting in and out of sleep. If you were trying to catch my eye then you probably saw me dozing a few times :D
    I probably would've copped on if I'd seen you gimme a wave, but then again there's the chance I would've thought you were some mad randomer :v:
    The beers it is! Or perhaps around the arts block (I tend not be actually falling asleep there)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Blush_01 wrote:
    I find talking to people for 20 minutes while struggling to remember their name before someone comes along who you know and are expected to introduce to person x kind of mortifying. The really obvious waiting for them to introduce eachother thing inevitably blows up in your face.
    Simple just tell the person who's name you don't know that you forgot the others name hence no introduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm really awkward and i always forget peoples names.
    I'm just not good with peoples. =/

On a side note, today i seen someone with a newcastle jersey, the only person i have EVER seen with one, i wanted to say something, should i have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Snickerpuss I'm really awkward and i always forget peoples names.
    I'm just not good with peoples. =/

That's probably just cos you smell so we all avoid you dear :P. And oh god the introducing thing... There's a girl who was in my english tutorial last semester who i see all the time and know quite well except that i have NO idea what her name is -_-. It's so difficult...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm useless at remembering names as well. Most people I know are called 'Alright' or 'How's it going?' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    So sitting at the seats that look onto that Arts courtyard. Stand up with some friends and start to make a move. I finish my drink and crush the can with a manly flex. I throw it towards the bin only to watch it sail over the rim and hit a guy sitting down getting his photo taken at the TravelCard stand.
    I spluttered out an apology and walked away breaking my shíts laughing.

haha-thats so funny!would love to see that guys picture-him posing with this can sailing towards his head!

the best thing to do in the situation where you forget someones name is just to act like your in a rush and then say 'oh i meant to get your number actually' and give them your phone so they have to write in their name and number!I've used that loadsa times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

There's a girl I chat to outside sometimes whne I'm having a smoke. Really nice girl, does English too. I knew that she had no clue what my name was, always said "Hey you!" or "Hey missus".......so one day we were all out at the Dept of Lung Cancer and I said "Hey Soirse.....whats my name?" The poor girl, her face just dropped. I felt kinda bad then but she saw the funny side to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm terrible for faces but ridiculously good for remembering names for some unknown reason.

Oh just remembered that day in library when I accidentaly tried to go up wrong side of the escalators and I nearly fell on my snot and I had some girls giggle at me.... :o
    On a side note, today i seen someone with a newcastle jersey, the only person i have EVER seen with one, i wanted to say something, should i have?

Yes, because you wouldn't have been the only person having stones been thrown at them! :p *

*Disclaimer: I do not condone the hurling of stones at Newcastle fans... only Liverpool and Arsenal fans.

On another side note I've noticed loads of people wearing Shelbourne jerseys or Shels tracksuits for some strange reason.... there's even Shels graffiti in the toilets!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

i'm the same as you zane.... really good for remebering names and random bits of information but crap at remebering faces.
    [i've also done the escalator thing...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've never gone up the wrong escalator but I have walked up to the wrong card swipe area by mistake and as I was trying to get in, Librocop gave me a scowl and pointed to the proper entrance.

I won't be making that mistake again.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

right this isnt really an awkward moment, a bit stupid tho.

im in 1st year arts, and last semester i was going to my first politics tutorial. the room was j102 b, i found j102 and assumed that was where da tutorial was on. i went in, was da second or third one their, and got a seat.

after around 5 mins, their was about ten or eleven in the tutorial and i noticed that they wer all fellas. putting aside my disapointment that no hot girls wer in my tutorial, i sat back and started to get out my notebook.

the tutor walked into the room and turned on the projecter which showed everyones name inda tutorial, "hands up if your names not on the list". so i put up my hand (the only one). she looks abit confused, but then proceeds to put a few more lists up, none of which my name are on. then she says "have you registered for this in the office?", "no", i replied, beleiving this was the reason i wasnt onda list. so, after wasting the first 5 mins of class searching for my name, she begins.

up goes '3rd year i.t. systems tutorial' onda screen. I look around, nobody seems to have noticed it should read '1st year politics'.

so i put up my hand, knowing damn well what the answer is gona be.............."eh.............is this politics................................?"

the laughter followed me down the corridor to the REAL j102 b.

nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Aww chook!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

rofl vic mackey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Last semester i came in 10 minutes late for a lecture in theater L. he only seats left were right down the front. So I took my seat and got my pen and paper out to realise that I was in the wrong lecture. I was an hour and ten minutes late for mine. As soon as i looked up i looked back down put everything away and walked back up the stairs. ... the looks i got.

Nothing else really. Other then getting lost on the top floor of a library looking for L552 or somthing. Was there for about 40 mins or somthing.

but I have walked up to the wrong card swipe area:

Ah you know the SLC section. The inwards/outwards doors. I walked out the in one and the force pushed it around and i heard the sound of plastic breaking. I also nearly fell to the ground. Luckily the Library was quiet so nobody noticed ..really

haha... the library is just one big awkward moment imo

Scraggs wrote:
    haha... the library is just one big awkward moment imo

did you walk past me about an hour ago?

Grimes wrote:
    did you walk past me about an hour ago?
    ahh it was you!!!!
    i knew it! i tried a hi but it just didnt come out...

Nothing else really. Other then getting lost on the top floor of a library looking for L552 or somthing
    Ok i got a tutorial in there on thursday and havent for the life of me been able to find it. Any one willing to help me out? :)

EDIT: o wait its L532 i need but same problem :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Grimes wrote:
    Nothing else really. Other then getting lost on the top floor of a library looking for L552 or somthing. Was there for about 40 mins or somthing.

That top floor is a deathtrap! I wandered around the library for ages before I asked someone where to go and they directed me towards the sekrit elevator. Luckily I'm only in L504, which is pretty near the entrance to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

If you come out of the tube from Arts to the library, turn left.
    Go through the door in the corner.
    Now go through the red door to take the stairs, or turn right to take one of the two lifts.
    Go to the 5th floor.
    This floor is basically a ring.
    Go through the blue door and straight ahead.
    Keep walking around the ring (you're going counter-clockwise) checking room numbers as you go.
    You should hit it eventualy.:)

cool ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

It will be on your right as you go round.
    A page on the door says Global Justice Tutorial, if that's you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm terrible for faces but ridiculously good for remembering names for some unknown reason.
    QUOTE]

That makes no sense. I'm taking an elective in psycology. There is a particular part of the brain devoted to faces, but names are just so much noise. Thats why most people forget them. Odd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I can relate to Zane though I'm not great at remembering names, if I make an effort I can but I'm simply incapable of remembering faces!

aye slippers thats me :D

The other day I'm leaving the students centre (around 1pm) and see some magazine in a stack and so, decide to take one to read with my roll. (I neglected to check what it was). I then headed towards those seats near the lake. (I always eat there). Just a few meters out of the centre I meet a schoolfriend. We talk and he asks me what I'm reading.
    I glance at the cover and the smalls words under the title suddenly jump out at me. "Ireland's largest queer magazine". I nearly shat myself. I managed to divert the conversation and as we walked and talked, I skillfully smashed the magazine into a handy bin without him ever suspecting.
    That could have been embarerssing

One good way of remembering names, is to say them out loud. That reinforces them in your mind. Or get them to spell them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The other day I'm leaving the students centre (around 1pm) and see some magazine in a stack and so, decide to take one to read with my roll. (I neglected to check what it was). I then headed towards those seats near the lake. (I always eat there). Just a few meters out of the centre I meet a schoolfriend. We talk and he asks me what I'm reading.
    I glance at the cover and the smalls words under the title suddenly jump out at me. "Ireland's largest queer magazine". I nearly shat myself. I managed to divert the conversation and as we walked and talked, I skillfully smashed the magazine into a handy bin without him ever suspecting.
    That could have been embarerssing

ah sure at least you did your bit for lgbt week next week!has anyone read that 'bash' magazine thats been around campus recently.Highly hillarious comparing the photos of coppers to the bondi photos!

Advertisement