Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guild Wars ,how good?

• 18-01-2006 7:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys thought of Guild wars.
    I have it installed but all my clan buddies are playing wow so wow was first choice.
    I havent really tried GW much but what i did i liked.
    Recently ive been having major issues with wow and am very tempted to get stuck into GW,the only thing with these type of games is it would be tough to get into both,or would it?
    Since i havent really played GW i cant judge so just how good is GW guys?
    For a start it looks much better than wow and almost photo realistic in parts,cant really comment on gameplay yet.
    Dare i drop wow for it?
    Not looking for a versus battle ,just someone who has much experience with both to comment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I got into GW for 2 beta weekends and I must admit I loved it.
    I'm a longtime WoW player but there is still that itch at the back of my mind that is telling me to buy GW. Now that I have money I may just scratch that itch soon but my point is, YES, Guild wars is quite good.

Alot of people have described it as a watered down version of WoW. I consider this to be simultaneously an insult to WoW and GW.

GW has alot of elements from the mainstream MMORPG but it focuses more on the PvP aspect while still trying to appease the hardcore xp/eq grinders.

Let me just say I never found an RPG so easy to pick up, you get very straight forward powers and abilities that interact with such complexity, imho its a beautifully designed game.

...damn, I think I just talked myself into buying it :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Since this post ive been playing and loving it.
    Its both similar and different to wow.
    I cant think of any real negatives compared to wow but it has many positives.
    Gfx are light years ahead of wow as is the combat imo.
    Its great spending your precious gaming time actually enjoying the game,ie 100% of time questing and fighting or PvP ing,wow seemed to be 50-50 questing/fighting and looking after your profession and finances[this to me takes up far too much time and effort].
    I really enjoy both games but GW is much more enjoyable for me at the moment,really great game that can be played for an hour or 8 hours.

This video review pretty much sums it up and what convinced me to give the game a real go.
    Damn its almost 2 am been playing GW since 10 pm.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/review.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I played GW for about 6 months and only stopped playing cause i nolonger had a net connection that was firewall free.

The game however does get a bit boaring after a while.

Missions seems the same.

But i definately loved it for the time i was playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Guild Wars is good but very repetitive.. I don't like the way you can't really interact with the world and some small nitty gritty things. I prefer WoW much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I liked the PvP but like the others said the world is quite repetitive. I wish the maps allowed you to step down over small cliffs etc (even if you had to take falling damage). Having the physics of the maps so restricted got me annoyed heh.

• Advertisement

Its wow im finding incredibly repetitive tbh,its become a right pain having to spend half your time looking after your income.
    Then again i havent played GW as much as wow yet but for now im loving it plus all these new updates to the game seem really good.
    Ive seen some guys comment on how much has changed since early GW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

It seems that alot of people get the wrong idea about GW. Unlike mmorpgs, this isn't a "life sim". Typical mmorpgs focus on creating diverting time-sinks to maintain interest in the game, in guild wars the RPG element is the storyline and little else. Your focus is on the pressing issue of the task at hand rather than sniffing every flower you pass. In life you have the good sense not to jump off a cliff, consider those restrictions to be your characters good sense not to break every bone in his/her body. The hook is the PvP game which is central. Either you like the PvP or you don't. If it isn't to your taste, the RPG game is well made, but may not be enough for you if you want the kind of freedom and variety you get in a mmorpg.

Couldnt have said it better myself OSiriS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I can't see how anyone couldn't like the PvP, this is definately the draw. Though at this stage when alot of players have equipment from instances, I'm not sure how easy it would be for a new player ...

It's one thing to say you can't jump off cliffs, it's another to say you can't step down the 1 foot drop.

No double negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

Once all the weapon upgrades have been unlocked, the weapons in PvP are usually better than the ones you find in PvE.

Armour gives the same protection in both PvP and PvE. (although you wont get Fissure armour in PvP anytime soon :D)

Unlocking all the skills would be the main problem for a new player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

anyone want to organise a new guild for boards players?????

Im thinking of forming a guild purely for the craic of it,nothing special .
    Most of my GFF mates play wow but we have a guild wars forum and TS channel for when i get a few on to play GW.

Sounds good, keep me updated, we'd be very interested... How's BF goin?

Yeah BF is going great ,server full every night,have to kick to allow members on.
    Tis a great game.

Good good, as I say if you get a guild going and are looking for members, myself and my mate will happily join. Well you could always join our guild but we are complete n00bs so don't even know how to run one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

LordBlonde wrote:
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg gw561.JPG (83.1 KB, 19 views)

Any excuse! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

LMAO! Blonde pimping the Fissure armour! ya feckin showoff. :v:

Come on guys surely we have enough people here to get a guild going!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭LordBlonde

Any excuse! :rolleyes:

What!? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

...actually that's a pretty good one! :D

Vegeta we had loads of boards.ie people in the Irish guild, but people just don't play as much anymore, most haven't logged in for weeks. We had about 60 Irish players at our peak and I reckon about half of them were from boards, so there's plenty of players around. Your best bet is to either join the Irish guild and try get things going again, or to start a new guild now but have to make do with waiting until the Factions expansion gets released, when the players will probably come back to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

OSiriS wrote:
    It seems that alot of people get the wrong idea about GW. Unlike mmorpgs, this isn't a "life sim". Typical mmorpgs focus on creating diverting time-sinks to maintain interest in the game, in guild wars the RPG element is the storyline and little else. Your focus is on the pressing issue of the task at hand rather than sniffing every flower you pass. In life you have the good sense not to jump off a cliff, consider those restrictions to be your characters good sense not to break every bone in his/her body. The hook is the PvP game which is central. Either you like the PvP or you don't. If it isn't to your taste, the RPG game is well made, but may not be enough for you if you want the kind of freedom and variety you get in a mmorpg.

Hold up! Osi is alive, but isn't playing WoW with me? WTF?! YOU GOD-DAMNED SPLITTER! :D

Teeth.

Howdi:P You never invited me. I gave the free trial a go and got bored with the grind typical to mmorpgs after a few hours. I play GW and still play DAOC for the pvp when I have time.

Bah, you should have given me a PM when you started. WoW isn't grindy at all I've found, you can quest from 1-60 no bother. Surely you must have to grind like a lunatic to stay competitive in DAoC PVP these days?

Anyway, since you liked your DAoC Ranger so much I'm surprised you never got into the WoW Hunter - it's an awesome class. :)

The problem is there is no point to wow. There is no gripping story, and the pvp is muck. Those are the only reasons I play games, and WoW offers neither.

The grind in daoc is pretty much gone these days if you have the resources. You can have a new character completely rvr ready within 24 hours of play + some casual time on ML raids which are alot quicker these days. Other than that, there is no grind to stay competitive.

The only thing WoW is missing is good large-scale RvR - the battlegrounds are just a distraction (people only go there to farm rep for better items anyway) and there's no point to small scale PVP other than the enjoyment of ganking someone.

However, apart from that the game itself is far superior in terms of story, quests, world design, class design, balance.. even the technology of the servers/client are streets ahead of anything else out there. I'm trying to recall a 'gripping story' from DAoC and I'm coming up empty!

Anyway, have fun. If you change your mind about giving WoW a go PM me. :P

Teeth.

I never said it did, but DAOC has probably the best pvp around.

Advertisement