Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning drums

Options
  • 18-01-2006 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

ive just started drums ah i was wondering if it is better to get lessons or just to buy a book or dvd and learn from that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭froggie_1

depends on you really, if you need the disipline and routine of lessons then thats the way to go, but if you fell that you will practice and do the book/dvd (there are lots of good ones about) then this may be the option for you. you could always try out both - maybe get like 7 proper lessons and see how you go. i found the only really good way of learning drums is sitting in with a band, and just trying out rhythyms and stuff and talking to other drummers. if your in college then its the perfect place.. if not its a bit tougher! best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MetalHead

I think without a few proper lessons to get you set then you might develop some bad habbits. If not properly treated these could take years to 'undo'. These dont have to be formal lessons but are just building blocks to get you started eg. holding the sticks, getting some rudiments correct, and some questions you may have. Then you could get a book/DVD to help you from there.

Lessons are the way to go because without proper techinique you could do some damage. Especially if you are looking to play fast and heavy stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Eazzzy

No way man. You have to get lessons for as long as possible. That way you do grades which are the basis for playing along to something. also when you hopfully hit the big time and then crash out to drugs or somethin you can fall back on teaching drums you nugget. You will then be known as 'Mr.Peabody' for the rest of your life.I cannot wait. By the way I have issues which need to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd say that you should get a few lessons first. From my experience, you have to be quite dedicated to get it all done at home by yourself.
    I started off with lessons, kept them for a year. Then a small break before I moved to another place. Second place I really, really didn't like so I took a longer break and found that I was doing absolutely bog all at home.
    Got a few more lessons (I'd just gotten a double bass pedal at this stage and wanted to learn how to use it properly) and then decided that I'd like to try and teach myself again.
    All the material you need is out there, you just have to be really disciplined with yourself. As Metalhead said though, some of the basics - especially stick grip - are just better taught face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What good books is there? I know of Drums for Dummies but im mainly interested in rock drumming. dont have the money for lessons either. Oh, and i have also just started playin drums and am new to the forums

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Mushy and Munkey Boy,
    ....the lads are dead on about lessons etc...but to add spice to your appetite look at great drummers...give yourselves a target as to how yu'd like to play and the ability youd like to learn..is veryyy important to do this as lesssons alone can be dulll ...Im a firm believer in drummers who DO the business on record and live not just on a live solo,,for that reason : Neil Peart of Rush... is the man to listen to and watch as he does the stuff alll thru their music that many drummers never doo and hes a truly musical drummer - an iconic figure around the globe for drumming...so my advise lessons if possible watch and listen to peart and get excited about drumming ..its simply the best :)

ciao' amigos...Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

See if you can dig up anything by this man....the Grand-daddy of them all. :D

http://www.carmineappice.net/00_intro.html

The perfect compliment to any rock drumming lessons. :)
    Don't miss the jukebox in the media section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

Lessons, definitely. I thought myself the basics for the first year of having my drums, then got lessons for a couple of months. They were great for the basics, but then he got into sheet music in a good way, and it wasn't something that i was particularly interested in learning to read so i dropped out of them. I then joined a band, and that's excellent practice. Playing with other musicians is the key to getting a solid rhythm, I'm not into any of that metronome stuff. I find listening to other drummers especially beneficial. Listen to fills and stuff, and just basic beats. With drums, you have to be persistant. If you're trying to learn a beat, and the mind knows what to play but the hands just won't, you just have to keep trying, and it eventually comes.

I think Rod de'Ath from Rory Gallagher's band was an excellent drummer, I always listen to his stuff, and it's very inspirational. Granted, that chap was ambidextrous! Anyone ambidextrous out there? Lucky bastids!!!

EDIT: I think maybe get some lessons for a week or two, just get the stick grip right etc, and then work on you own for a while. My drum teacher said there's nothing worse than a student coming in, and not being able to differenciate (sp?) between the bass drum and the toms!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

listen to the MUSIC. Drumming is all about feel. Play and play and play. don't make it into work. you'll enjoy it more and hence be far better, and have a much stronger sense of style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jono96

hey, do what you feel like,
    my friend started to play the drums when he was 11,
    and got no lessons. just thought himself.you should see him now, he is
    amazing. best drummer i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

jtsuited wrote:
    listen to the MUSIC. Drumming is all about feel. Play and play and play. don't make it into work. you'll enjoy it more and hence be far better, and have a much stronger sense of style.

Feel is definitely important, but more than anyone else in the band (including the bassist!) you have to be ROCK SOLID. A drummer needs to be more tuned in to tempo and more exacting in the 'notes' played.

One of the best drummers I've ever played with was a 9-million-year-old jazzman who played with a 3-piece kit.....bass, snare, and hats. Simply amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

get lessons, this applies to ALL instruments... I taught myself guitar, didn't get lessons until i had been playing for 4 years.. Lessons helped, but i can't even begin to explain how much i would love to turn the clock back and get lessons from the start.

I'm now learning the drums myself, and i have absolutely no doubt in my mind that i should get lessons, in fact i started last night. I want to start right, and make better improvements using better technique etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Rustar wrote:
    Feel is definitely important, but more than anyone else in the band (including the bassist!) you have to be ROCK SOLID. A drummer needs to be more tuned in to tempo and more exacting in the 'notes' played.

True!
    I've been playing drums for over 17 years now and I can see why lessons might be a good idea to get the basics but once you have them down, it's probably best to find your own style and develop that, rather than practicing tedious excercises and beats that you'll prob never use. Playing along with your favourite tracks can be helpful. Go to gigs and look at what the drummer is doing, sooner or later you'll develop a feeling for what is going on and will be able to "see" the rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I'd definitely reccommend getting lessons if you can. I've been playing about 15 years and got lessons for the first 4. Stopped when they were going in a more jazzy direction than I was into at the time. Now I wish I'd kept them on even further, I'd love to be able to play jazz better than I can now.

All the ideas mentioned above work well. For me it was lessons, playing along to tapes (!!) and then playing in bands. As soon as you start playing with other musicians it all really falls into place and you'll really notice a rapid improvement but I still reckon it's invaluable to get a good grounding from lessons first.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Metronome. Always practice with one, timing is key. Also make sure you get taught proper grip and technique. Once you have the basics down from a few lessons that prevents early bad habits, then you can teach yourself from then on, the internet has hundreds of resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

Take the rock jazz drum kit in waltons, I did that for 2 terms and it helped so much, that and take a look at www.drummerworld.com or www.drummingireland.com and they have some handy tips on there

But also one of the best ways to improve is to join a band and practice every week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Giant_Killer

If your interested in lessons check out
    theirishdrumcentre.com

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gabriel

lessons always helps!!!! even Pro drummers an musician take lessons!!!!
    A teacher will see you from the outside and will have a different perspective of what you play and give you some hint to improve your playing!!!

Is good to teach yourself but lessons are of an advantage aswell!!!
    Play ALWAYS with metronome!!!! Thats the First lessons for contemporary drummers!!!!;)

lessons always helps!!!! even Pro drummers an musicians take lessons!!!!
    A teacher will see you from the outside and will have a different perspective of what you are playing and give you some hint to improve your playing!!!

Is good to teach yourself but lessons are of an advantage aswell for sure!!!!

Play ALWAYS with metronome!!!! Thats the First lessons for contemporary drummers!!!!;)

Lessons always helps!!!! even Pro drummers an musicians take lessons!!!!
    A teacher will see you from the outside and will have a different perspective of what you are playing and give you some hint to improve your playing!!!

Is good to teach yourself but lessons are of an advantage aswell for sure!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

If you want the number of a really good teacher PM me... He thought me and is very very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Get Lessons and learn to read music.

Drummers who can read dots are few and far between and there's so much work out there for them. Not sure how old you are and you may have visions of playing original material in a band but you never know where you'll end up down the road.

Being able to read is such a great asset and can set you so far ahead of others if you're looking for session work etc.

Advertisement