Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachtaí Nua

Options
  • 18-01-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I have a topic of conversation for you all that has been in my head for quite a while now: the idea of bringing Irish speakers together and effectively creating new Gaeltacht areas. Surely this would inject some energy into the language. It's very interesting but I only found out recently that this has been effectively carried out in Belfast in the 60's on Shaws Road (does anyone have information on how this area is doing as regards the language?).

I think it would make sense to group Irish speakers together outside the official Gaeltachtaí to intensify language use. I wouldn't say it would be a particularily difficult project to carry out either. It could start small, with some houses being built for Irish speakers with a naíonra, gaelscoil and gaelcoláiste provided also. I mean this was carried out in the 30s also when Rath Cairn came into being as a Gaeltacht.

(There would seem to be a lot of families who are raising their families through Irish outside of the Gaeltacht (www.comhluadar.ie) but does anyone know the statistics?)

It would be great if you could respond to these ideas, negatively or positively!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sudsy

Hey!
    Personally i think it is a great idea, i love the Irish language and ever since we have had access to a gaeilscoile, my 2 younger brothers are attending, 1 has completed his 6 years and is now in secondary. His Irish is by far much much better than that of his peers, and it is going to stand with him as he thinks about career courses / colleges etc.

However, i think that undertaking a project this large would be a little too difficult, it would take a lot of planning and financial support only afforded by the government etc, and i cant personally see them parting with the kind of cash to support such a project.

I am fully for it though, and if there were a way of doing it i would definitely give my backing for it!

My 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

See here:

www.gael.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

O' Cuinn wrote:
    the idea of bringing Irish speakers together and effectively creating new Gaeltacht areas.

How do you mean? In the countryside or in the middle of some suburb or what?

Personally I think that integration into existing communities would be a better option. But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 O' Cuinn

Yeah,

I think incorporation would be a lot better. Imagine a street in Dublin with Irish speakers, this would give Irish great prominence I think also it would be a great cultural attraction for the capital.

Thanks Gael. I never new about that. Does anyone have info on Shaws Road?

I don't think schemes like these would require a lot of finance just the will to do it. Housing estates go up all the time all that is needed is for a group to set it aside for Irish speakers. With a naíonra, gaelscoil and gaelcoláiste you are well on your way to creating a vibrant little Irish-speaking comunity.

Taking Galway as an example. Its a pity something like this hasn't been carried out because the language has a greater significance there than other cities I think. They were trying to bring a scheme called Gallaimh le Gaeilge or something where shops and services would display that you could be served in Irish if you wished which I think would be effective but much more relevant with more Irish speakers living in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

That would be a great idea, an area in Dublin, irish speaking.. like a sort of China town for Gaels in Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

GaryOR wrote:
    That would be a great idea, an area in Dublin, irish speaking.. like a sort of China town for Gaels in Ireland...
    Is it just me or is that hilarious?

besty wrote:
    Is it just me or is that hilarious?

I don't see how it is, it could be a great way of gathering together people with Irish to create a community that would help in the development of Irish as a daily language in areas where it is not...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Má tá sibh chomh dáiríre sin fé athbheochaint na Gaeilge ná bheadh sé níos ciallmhaire tosnú anseo sa bhaile agus iarracht a dhéanamh an teanga a úsáid sara chuirfidh sibh iarratas ar chead pleanála isteach le bhur reservations a thógáil.

Mísh&#225 wrote: »
    Má tá sibh chomh dáiríre sin fé athbheochaint na Gaeilge ná bheadh sé níos ciallmhaire tosnú anseo sa bhaile agus iarracht a dhéanamh an teanga a úsáid sara chuirfidh sibh iarratas ar chead pleanála isteach le bhur reservations a thógáil.

sea, aontaím leat, ach, níl sé sin ach céim amháin (Gaeilge a úsáid sa bhaile).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ní docha go mbeidh daoine ag iarriadh bogadh go dtí áit eile sa tír chun bheith ag caint as Gaeilge i mo thuarim féin

• Advertisement
Advertisement