Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop a hot tip!

Options
  • 18-01-2006 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

My hot tip for 2006 is going to be Tullow Oil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭clopd

Ya one to watch - although it pains me to say that I remember them well when I used to tracked them at less than 10p -

I'd advise a punt on Kingspan over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

CRH
    Elan
    AIB
    Smart Telecom - If your fealing like a gamble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

vedanta (UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

and would ye's like to supply reasons for yer tips rather than just throwing names out there?

Scruff wrote:
    and would ye's like to supply reasons for yer tips rather than just throwing names out there?

Less fun this way,but here goes.

Vedanta has strong fundamentals,good management and strong expected growth.Its a mid cap miner providing raw materials for the expanding Indian market.Price has jumped over the last two weeks,but expected forward 1 year P/E is a low 11.71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

My hot tips for 2006:

No oil exploration (bubble-ish)
    No property (bubble)
    No commodities/minerals/generic goods (over-excitment about China/India)

I do like CRH - it looks like their US business is due for a valuation upgrade, according to a report from some broker (Goodbody's, i think) a few days ago. It has excellent management as well.

also, note this from the charter:

*"Pumping and Dumping"
    This includes and is not limited to, falsely advertising a stock in order to boost it's share price or to offload said shares to the public. Any post that I suspect of doing this will be deleted and the user banned. If you are bullish on a stock back it up with why you are bullish, and be warned that there are professional stock analysists on this board who will be able to tell if you are lying.

- any 'tip' should be validated imho

Scruff wrote:

Scruff

Re - KingSpan

rahter than give you the answer check out the change in building regulations in UK, especially around insolation, then check Kingspans marketshare in the UK. You'll need to work out the value yourself then
    :p

clopd wrote:
    Re - KingSpan

rahter than give you the answer check out the change in building regulations in UK, especially around insolation, then check Kingspans marketshare in the UK. You'll need to work out the value yourself then
    :p

if you want to make a proper share tip, you should also say whether you think such value has already been incorporated in current share prices. This story has already been well publicised. I'd say Goodbody's etc have already told their investors about this. This is stale information, unless you can say why share prices don't already incorporate this news. What new information do you have that hasn't already been published in the Irish Times etc?

[QUOTE=Roundtower2What new information do you have that hasn't already been published in the Irish Times etc?[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint on this one - but I don't have a major insight, that is not already kown by the major brokers.

I do accept that this has been well publicised - but its still interesting info for people to be aware of when the read this thread - not everyone reads the Times - and I would also hope that people who read this thread are not silly enough to go and invest based only on this thread and will do the required research themselves..

• Advertisement

ianmc38 wrote:
    Vodafone. Buy first thing Monday morning.
    Why do you say that? They are looking market share in Ireland, i am guessing this is the same elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ian, you should be very careful about what you post on a public forum such as this. If you have insider knowledge and are trading on this knowledge, you could be doing so illegally. Sharing such knowledge on a public forum isn't a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

to be honest id stay away from oil companies. i bought dragaon bout 18 months ago at bout 75 cent and they are currently 3.20

i cant see them going much higher and think oil prices will stagnate this coming year. i could be totally wrong and loose out on loads of money

blocparty wrote:
    to be honest id stay away from oil companies. i bought dragaon bout 18 months ago at bout 75 cent and they are currently 3.20

i cant see them going much higher and think oil prices will stagnate this coming year. i could be totally wrong and loose out on loads of money
    Probably but in the longer term oil prices are going to keep going up as we are going to hit peak oil a few years time and America will invade another country driving prices up again

ya true but i think the 2006 price for oil companies is at its peak. unless the issue with the cartoons escaltes further resulting in higher oil prices.

my tip would be tottenham hotspur plc.

its a vey well run club one of the few to generate a profit and it is going places. the club are progressing year on year. 14th 2 seasons ago 9 th last and currently 4th.

if the club do get champions league football it will push the club onto newer hights. the club will not only receive money from UEFA but increased publicity, increased revenue due to more games being played.

they have some of the richest men involved in running the club- alan sugar and joe lewis. together they are worth close to £3 bn and joe lewis (worth over 2 bn) has ear marked spurs as the way to increase his vast fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

providence resources- exploration company. No real exposure to the oil price (as they have never found any oil). Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

IAWS Group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've just picked up a load of Tullow Oil last week. Consistently rising for the last two years, I believe this will continue as oil supplies dwindle and demand accelerates - the price of oil can only go up.

blocparty wrote:
    my tip would be tottenham hotspur plc.

its a vey well run club one of the few to generate a profit and it is going places. the club are progressing year on year. 14th 2 seasons ago 9 th last and currently 4th.

if the club do get champions league football it will push the club onto newer hights. the club will not only receive money from UEFA but increased publicity, increased revenue due to more games being played.

they have some of the richest men involved in running the club- alan sugar and joe lewis. together they are worth close to £3 bn and joe lewis (worth over 2 bn) has ear marked spurs as the way to increase his vast fortune.

I am not so sure about Spurs.The shares are very illiquid.The bid ask spread is over 20% so you will have to make over 20% just to break even.There isnt much info on Yahoo about the club,so I cant see any of the earnings figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

eircom
    because it can't possibly get any worse, surely due a meteoric rise

• Advertisement

well buying in a football club is always going to ahve more risks than a normal company because the football world can change overnight. but tottenham hotspur is def the best football club to buy shares in. they are currently in the middle of their trading range so it might be worth a go. if they do secure a european football i would expect their share price to exceed any previous share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Tazz T wrote:
    I've just picked up a load of Tullow Oil last week. Consistently rising for the last two years, I believe this will continue as oil supplies dwindle and demand accelerates - the price of oil can only go up.

My dad got a tip for Tullow oil about 7 years ago (not sure on the exact timeframe) when they were 12 Irish pence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

democrates wrote:
    eircom
    because it can't possibly get any worse, surely due a meteoric rise
    Please don't ever invest on the 'can't get any worse' basis. Please don't ever invest based on a tip on a bulletin board.

RainyDay wrote:
    Please don't ever invest on the 'can't get any worse' basis. Please don't ever invest based on a tip on a bulletin board.
    Dear god on a fairly rickety sick, I have to work on my sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭x.x.x

avanir (avn) , amex, just completed 4 to 1 reverse split - research it then buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Topcat101

Is avn a swing play ?

What about sun, new line of servers are expected to boost market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭x.x.x

Topcat - The reverse split was in order to shake off day tickers and move onwards and upwards from the Amex and subsequently open themselves up to alot more institutional buyers, i'm sure you know what i mean.
    Have a look at who the recently recruited then have a look at what pharm company is giving them landmark payments, they are not f***ing around.

x.x.x wrote:
    Topcat - The reverse split was in order to shake off day tickers and move onwards and upwards from the Amex and subsequently open themselves up to alot more institutional buyers, i'm sure you know what i mean.
    Does this mean where there's real money to be made it's reservedd for fat cats? As opposed to eircom for the masses which bombed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

So did anyone buy Vodafone shares? Started this week at £1.24 finished at £1.75. Happy days.

Advertisement