Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agp graphics upgrade???

Options
  • 18-01-2006 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I have a Radeon 9800 pro 128 AGP graphics card in a custom built Amd 2800xp, with one gig of ram. The power supply is a stable 350w that has never given me any trouble for as long as I have had the system, about one year. I am thinking of buying a new graphics card for about 150 euro on komplett, but I don’t know which card I should consider, which card will give me the best price/performance for my system. I’m not sure if the performance improvements will be good enough to warrant the new card as I think my card is great, but showing its age a little. Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

Id say definately go with the 6600GT for €157 on komplett. Or get one off ebay. They are the best for their price and are very good cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

J2DaC wrote:
    Id say definately go with the 6600GT for €157 on komplett. Or get one off ebay. They are the best for their price and are very good cards.

For a few quid extra, 163 I think, Komplett also have a 256mb X800 somewhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Hi lads, thanks for the help, I like the look of the 6600GT, but I wonder if my PSU is up to the job, what do you think? What kind of performance increase can I expect, I can play Battlefield 2 at 1024 by 768 on medium settings with temporal AA set to x6, and AF set to x4… the new ATI drivers seem to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I personally think you should jump further. The 6600 is a grand card but not so wholly better then the 9800 to justify an upgrade as such....

You should go for something more current edge, like a 6800, would last alot longer in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

the difference between the 6600gt and 9800 pro is pretty marginal, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

the difference between the 6600gt and 9800 pro is pretty marginal, to be honest.
    Didn't the 6600GT have higher mem bandwidth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I think I’m going to stick with my 9800 pro, at least till I feel it can no longer deliver the excellent performance it has demonstrated so far. The industry seems to be completely out of sink with the software that is currently available. The card appears to deliver similar performance to more powerful ones on many new titles, such as X3, Quake 4 demo and Battlefield 2, with some options turned off. I went to http://www.tweakguides.com/index.html and found some tips that significantly improved my FPS, even with AA and AF on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I loved my ATI9800 card when i had it. And after a year and a half i ended up selling it and buying a 6800GT. And now 4months down the line i find my self selling my GT. Don't know what to do next i guess im a guy who wants to run everything at full.

After a few weeks after i had sold my ATI9800 i wished i had not. It was a great card.

Advertisement