Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a midi keyboard

• 18-01-2006 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Can anyone give me any ideas? Ideally I just want to spend 100-150 as I am just starting out.

I'm not too sure of where in Ireland sells them either. Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

www.thomann.de and www.dolphinmusic.co.uk

Just get whatever suits your needs i.e. ammount of keys, some of them come with a few knobs/sliders etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the m-audio oxygen8 seems to be an alright bit of kit to start off on. (i haven't had much first hand experience with it though)
    got one for my dad off thomann, and have nothing but praise for their service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oxegen 8 is too small for anyone intending on actually PLAYING stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ADLI have a large bontempi keyboard every so often with MIDI output.

thats all youd need tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Anima wrote:
    www.thomann.de and www.dolphinmusic.co.uk

Just get whatever suits your needs i.e. ammount of keys, some of them come with a few knobs/sliders etc.

not Dolphinmusic! im still ****ing waiting for mine and i ordered it 22dec!!!!

And dont go for whatever looks fancy. Or the best bargin that you can find. What you need is a good solid instrument with a solid feel and nice playing action/

......If stupid bloody dolphin music sent my midiman oxygen 8 to me sooner I could properly recommend it to you! but based in teh fact that DJ's like Derrick carter (and too many others to mention) use it, it should be worth a look.

Alternatively, whatever chris liebing is using these days as his midi keys should do the trick. try google searching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The oxygen 8 is a good midi trigger but bear in mind that it doesn't actually have any sounds built in itself. It merely plays whatever sounds are generated through your chosen software. However it does come with a version of Reason :D and the assignable knobs are a nice touch (not that I've bothered trying to assign them in FL. Seems less hassle just to use the automation editor :rolleyes: )

ps Use Thomann. They send you a text when they post your order. Isn't that nice

DIRTY69 wrote:
    not Dolphinmusic! im still ****ing waiting for mine and i ordered it 22dec!!!!

ive been ordering from dolphin for over a year and NEVER had a problem

ring them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Might be worth looking for a second hand keyboard. That way you can get a daecent size one without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I've an oxygen 8 - fine for basslines and great midi implementation for reason/ableton live, but you'd want a minimum of 4 octaves for anything resembling "real" playing - could be a little limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ezdmanx

I'm on the verge of orgering a "Evolution MK 449C" from Dolphin. Just gonna try out the music making tbh, prob get reason too, moneys not an issue, Ye guys recon its a good buy? Anyone any experiance with it

evolution controller looks fine

i use reason, its alrite yeh

tho its nothing without cubase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Id definatly get 49 keys minimum, and one with as many knobs and sliders as possible.

M-Audio keyboards are notorius for breaking. The USB on my radium 61, which I bought in Waltons, is knackered, Appearantly this is a common complaint. If you do take a chance on an M-Audio [midiman] keyboard, get a reciept/warrenty and keep it.

If youre loaded, think Korg or Novation.

What have you got for soundcard and monitoring?

I got a Creative Audigy 4 soundcard. Think its got all the right drivers and stuff.
    Not sure what you mean by monitoring?, got a 19" monitor and an old 14" somewhere, and my graphics can do dual monitors if i needed a lot of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

he's talking about speakers dude:p

Oh right!, ya... err basic 5.1 computer speakers (Logitech x-530, 70w).

get a decent soundcard and decent speakers

Ya, might do. Thanks for the advise:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Logitech x-530, 70w!? heh! wtf! anyone ever heard of monitors!:p

Advertisement