Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling up, whats the deal?

Options
  • 18-01-2006 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

say you bought a house 5 years ago, and your mortgage is for 300k.

now, you sell your house for 400k.

when you go to the bank to clear your mortgage, are you charged penaltys for clearing it early? and if so how much?

ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Depends if your mortgage is fixed (penalty) or variable (no penalty).

stp wrote:
    when you go to the bank to clear your mortgage, are you charged penaltys for clearing it early? and if so how much?

Afaik you only pay a break fee (on top of the redemption figure) if you're on a fixed rate mortgage, and in that case you pay the balance interest due to the end of the fixed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Most banks will normally waive an early redemption fee if you're getting your next mortgage from them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm with the Irish Nationwide and when i sold my last house i was still within the 3 year fixed rate period. I had to pay 6 months interest, but got half back as my new mortgage was with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

not fixed, it's a tracker variable.

so, you are charged some sort of break fee......?

• Advertisement

stp wrote:
    not fixed, it's a tracker variable.

so, you are charged some sort of break fee......?

Pretty sure you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your bank.

In any case you are €100,000 up (stamp duty & fees aside), although I here properties in your range are up €100,000 also. :v:

Advertisement