Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning incorrect item to online shop?

Options
  • 18-01-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I ordered 2 items from an online shop. I received 1 of the correct items, and 1 incorrect item (Which, is actually of greater value than the item ordered (Value = approx 40e)).

I did the honest thing and notified the company. They replied to my email stating that I should return the item at my expense; for which, they will compensate me by offering free shipping the next time that I order from them. I don't think I will order from them again. They have also corrected their mistake and posted the other ordered item.

Is this correct that I should have to foot the bill for their mistake?

Thanks in advance.

(The company from which the items were ordered do not stipulate a set procedure for this type of incident on their website, in case anyone is going to suggest checking their policies.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Karoma wrote:
    They have also corrected their mistake and posted the other ordered item.

Is this correct that I should have to foot the bill for their mistake?

I don't quite follow you? They posted the item when you told them they'd made a mistake yes? So you have your order?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

But he's paying the shipping to send the incorrect item back to them.

I don't think that that is fair and they should compensate you for the fact that THEY were wrong. I guess they did offer free shipping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dont't know the specifics in Ireland but I would notify the retailer that they sent the wrong item and ask them to arrange collection of the item. Not sure if Irish consumer law covers you for doing this (it does in the UK). I don't believe that any customer should be out of pocket for a mistake from the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

To clarify: They have, to their credit, corrected the order.
    The issue is that they want me to pay for p&p of the incorrectly sent item.
    In return, they "kindly" offered me free shipping the next time I order.

My issue with this is that I don't know when or if I will order from them again; and it'll unlikely cost me more for p&p than a company.. So either way I'm bound to be out of pocket for their mistake.

Thank you for your prompt responses.

(Also, for completeness: It's a registered Irish business)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I sympathise with you. But it's all part of the mail order deal.

The advantage of a shop, is u walk in, see what u want, and get it.
    When u want backup, u walk in,aand swop the goods for another, or to get it fixed.

The mail order is often 5-10% cheaper, backup is farther away, tel calls, postages, more inconvenient. But u got the 5-10% cheaper price that goes with it.

We all go through this phase, then we learn how it works, then we buy some online, but buy the rest face to face. It is really a tradeoff between average price-convenience and lowest price-inconvenience.

IMHO if they (eventually) sent u your stuff, u are honour bound to return them their stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

coolwings wrote:

IMHO if they (eventually) sent u your stuff, u are honour bound to return them their stuff.

Yes but not at the customers cost. You seem to think it is OK for shops to send the wrong items and expect the customer to return it at no cost to the shop. The online shop is duty bound to arrange collection or provide free postage sticker or refund the return postage cost. I would generally push for the 1st two as I had to chase around when I used 3rd option before. I would certainly not entertain the idea of returning something at my cost with no refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Tell them that you dont plan to use them again and say that they can either collect the item or refund the cost of you posting it back to them. Any time ive had problems ive contacted the company and they organised the collection straight away no problem at their expense and these have been big items one weighing 30kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They did fulfill the order eventually; and I am considerably honest (Evident from my immediate notification, when I could have made a profit selling on the other item, I thought..) - so for those reasons I would send the item back. I just don't see why it should be at my expense. I've had a similar instance happen before with eBay..
    I'm just wondering what are my 'rights' or at least what others would consider acceptable in such circumstances as I no feel like this sort of thing is going to continually happen :o
    Agreed; I think the next step will to be to tell them to arrange collection at their expense or send me money via PayPal to compensate cost of p&p (I'll email a copy of An Posts paperwork if necessary).
    Thanks for the input.

Advertisement