Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best gig/performance you've been to in your life???

Options
  • 18-01-2006 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

What concert will you never forget? Could be for whatever reason, best performance by the musician/musicians on stage,maybe you met your boyfriend/girlfriend at it? Id love to hear from everybody, doesnt matter what kind of music you like. My personal favourite concert ever was Metallica at the Point in July '99. I was 18 and at the peak of my Metallica worship phase! Being the middle of summer and hearing my fave songs at the time really did it for me. Ive also enjoyed concerts from Cannibal Corpse to No Doubt, Christina Aguilera to Cradle Of Filth, All Saints to Planxty...Please dont turn this thread into a musical taste slagging match. I'd love to hear peoples stories. Thanks lads and lassies! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Einstuerzende Neubauten in Berlin. They played two nights in the Palast der Republik (the former government building of East Germany). The building has been gutted and there's only concrete and steel left in it. The first night was fan club only and 100 of us formed a choir (we rehearsed with the group for the three days prior to the gigs). The band played possibly the best performance they've ever done (mostly new and once-off material). It ended with the entire audience battering away a beat on 50 tables made from various bits of scrap. 500 people + lots of sheet metal = very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Interesting question actually.. easy one for myself..

I know i might get an heavy flaming from Boardsies who tend to heavily dislike them but:

Band: U2
    Tour: Elevation
    Venue: Slane Castle
    Date: August 25th 2001 (the first and generally thought of superior of the 2 Slane gigs that year)
    Setlist:

Elevation
    Beautiful Day
    Until The End Of The World
    New Year's Day
    Bono's Speech
    Kite
    A Sort of Homecoming
    I Will Follow
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Wake Up Dead Man
    Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Of
    Bono's Speech
    In A Little While
    Bono's Speech
    Dancing In The Moonlight
    Desire
    Staring At The Sun
    Bad
    Where The Streets Have No Name
    Mysterious Ways
    Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    Bullet The Blue Sky (with Intro)
    With Or Without You
    Bono's Speech
    One
    When Will I See You Again
    Walk On

I know many people hate what they've become but the sheer atmosphere and electricity in the air that night, they seemed to be on top form. A day or two after Bono buried his father.. there were moments where he genuinely looked choked up but also proud to be staging the "Homecoming". Also supported by the (meh) Coldplay and a fantastic performance by the Chili's didn't hurt either!

Seen them in Croker during the Summer on the Vertigo Tour - still excellent - but nothing will top the atmosphere that warm Summer's night in Co. Meath.

Phenomenal - will NEVER EVER forget it!

Yeah, those Slane shows were great too. I remember when I saw Coldplay that day thinking: "They'll never last." Regrettably I was so very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

John2 wrote:
    .. I remember when I saw Coldplay that day thinking: "They'll never last." Regrettably I was so very wrong.
    :D

Not to go too far off-topic though but i was somewhat a fan of Coldplay at the time, on the basis of 'Parachutes' alone (though i think 'X&Y' is much stronger than previous albums).

But on the day, i thought they were absolutely dire!

Everyone who asks me know what they were like and hears my negative comments about their performance are amazed as they're apparently became a "fantastic" live band but they were far from even adequate in Slane that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Seen Focus a few months back in Vicar Street. Amazing band. My experiance was helped on by a few mushroom friends though :)

Looking forward to riders on the storm soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Pearl Jam, Residence Platz, Salzburg June 18th 2000. Lovely place for a concert in the middle of an excellent summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Radiohead, The Point

December 2003

The second of two gigs, and the last night of their European tour.

Managed to worm my way to the barrier, right in front of Johnny Greenwood :D

The Point is one of the worst venues I've ever been in, but that didnt matter. A mind-blowingly great concert, like an aural BJ

Edit:

****, I cant decide between Radiohead, and British Sea Power in Edinburgh's Liquid Rooms, in April last year.

*quiver*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Brian Wilson - The Point Feb '02 .. I got to see a legend in action.. worth every penny (and compared to the recent gig very cheap).
    Roger Waters - Glastonbury '02 .. again the first time I'd seen him play, and was right up the front in awe... extremely memorable, was the last performance in his world tour as well.
    Spiritualized - Glastonbury '02 .. I can't remember it but I'm pretty sure I felt every minute of it.

Small gigs:
    Explosions In The Sky, The Hub Feb '04 .. unbelivably epic, jaw-droppingly good, every gig has been measured in comparison to this since.
    M83 - Sugar Club, Oct '03 .. the best electronic to live gig I've ever seen, they quite simply rocked.
    and British Sea Power in Edinburgh's Liquid Rooms, in April last year.

I've seen them three times.. and by far and away the best was in Whelans three years ago after the release of The Decline Of.. every other gig since has been larger and lacking the ferocious energy of the first imo.. still a great live band though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slipknot in the summer, maybe slayer in the summer either. Wow!
    Plan to top them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Rockee wrote:
    My personal favourite concert ever was Metallica at the Point in July '99. I was 18 and at the peak of my Metallica worship phase! Being the middle of summer and hearing my fave songs at the time really did it for me.

Exactly the same here. Was a brillant gig and why I won't go and see them live again. I'll just be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

David Bowie - The Point - 2003 (I think?)

He played for two hours solid and there was none of this 'I am not playing my old material' attitude, that alot of legends seem to adopt.

He is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I know what you mean Larianne...I seen them at the RDS in 2003 from about 2 acres away! Plus in the Point it was nice and dark and the sound didnt escape anywhere. Outdoors and sunny wasnt the best for me and Metallica that day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Rockee wrote:
    I know what you mean Larianne...I seen them at the RDS in 2003 from about 2 acres away! Plus in the Point it was nice and dark and the sound didnt escape anywhere. Outdoors and sunny wasnt the best for me and Metallica that day! :)

The fact that Linkin Park (I think) were supporting them, there was gonna be a load of teeny boppers, and the RDS is huge all stopped me from seeing them again.

Nope the gig in '99 did it for me. 1st time seeing Metallica, in the pit, Kirk Hammett waving at me (he soo do I tell you!) and scoring a cute northern guy after made it the best gig I've been to! :D

Heehee, sounded like a good night back in '99! Im convinced Hetfield nodded at me during Nothing Else Matters...I was pretty much right in front of Kirk Hammett the whole night. Unfortunately I didnt score with any girl that night...just toddled off to Burger King on O'Connell Street with my smelly friend!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Michael Jackson from backstage in Nice or from the crowd in Bonne were both unbelievable. His stage show was phenomenal and completely flawless, an amazing gig to watch. I'm still undecided as to whether it was better to see it from the crowd and be completely sucked into the illusion or to see from backstage and know exactly what was going on.

Its a little off the thread subject but I was on holidays in tropical Cork in 1988 when Wacko Jacko played Pairc Ui Chaoimh. I couldnt go cos I was 7 years old but I got a concert t-shirt off some man on the street. I mustve worn it everyday for a year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Ha, yeah. I used to have millions of surplus XXL ones, wore them as dresses about the house when I was little.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

muse at dublin castle or muse in the olympia...

i like muse live...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Heather Nova - October 9th 2001 - Whelans.

Wasn't to confident of a good gig because I never really though Whelans was a great venue - but it was acoustic, a bit personal and a lot spiritual in a sense. Truely wonderful. Unfortunately her return to the Ambassador the following March wasn't near as good IMO.

D.

Rockiemalt wrote:
    muse at dublin castle

I honestly thought that was one of the worst gigs I've ever been to. I had seen Muse before and they were amazing, that night they were so dull. It put me off listening to them for about two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Theres a band in Tenerife that have have been voted the best band in the Canaries i think its 7 years running with only one exception. They're called the looney tunes, they just play covers in a pub, but don't let the name and setting put you off. The guitarist is AMAZING, and the other guy has the whole place in stiches all the time with his jokes. I've seen alot of semi-known bands but only been to one concert(RHCP) These guys surpass everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Muse in the Olympia was an amazing performance but the best time i had at a concert was U2 in glasgow last summer. I had bought seated tickets off ticketmaster but when i got to the stadium my seat was in a section didn't have a view of the stage (i couldn't even get to my seat as the stewarts weren't letting people past a certain point),i don't know how ticketmaster made that mistake, but a kind steward sent me down to the pitch and i was one of the first people in the pit.

dazberry wrote:
    Heather Nova - October 9th 2001 - Whelans.

Wasn't to confident of a good gig because I never really though Whelans was a great venue - but it was acoustic, a bit personal and a lot spiritual in a sense. Truely wonderful. Unfortunately her return to the Ambassador the following March wasn't near as good IMO.

D.

That was truly an amazing gig.
    I'd also add in Hamell on trial, White Zombie and Fleetwood Mac in the Point. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Tchocky wrote:
    Radiohead, The Point

December 2003

The second of two gigs, and the last night of their European tour.
    Yea, I was there that night. Great gig alright.

Also 'And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead' in the Rock Café in Prague last year. Small venue (perfect), great band, phenomenal gig.

Papa Smut wrote:
    White Zombie Great stuff

Wow! Where did you see them?? Great band in their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

muse at oxegen 2004 was class! would have been so much better if that fuppin steward hadn't have taken my vodka + coke mixture

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Arcade Fire - Electric Picnic 2005
    Go-Betweens - Olympia in 2000
    Spiritualised - Glastonbury 1998
    Beta Band - Ambassador 2004

worst gig I was ever at? Dylan in the point 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Yes with the orchestra in the point a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From a personal point of view, my performance last night was legendary;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Arcade Fire at The Electric Picnic 2005. The whole concert was an experience that I didn't want to end.

The most surprisingly enjoyable gig was The Strokes at Oxegen 2004. Not a major fan of their albums but they are incredible live.

Also, one of the many Frames gigs I was at in UL - Rag Week 2001. Was right up at the very front for the entire gig. Them was the days!

Advertisement