Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to deactivate 3G?

• 19-01-2006 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I read here (and been told) that I'll save on battery if I deactivate the 3G network on my Samsung zv10...

Anyone tell me how to do it?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

then you won't be able to make calls! You phone may roam from a 3G network to a 2.5G network as coverage changes. I suppose you could try manually selecting the 2.5/2G network if it is available. Being on the 3G network shouldn't affect your battery life. Of curse you could be referring to another phone feature, Bluetooth, that does eat us your battery when it's on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Well, I was told the battery would be affected by 3G (weather that its constantly on the network, or searching for it, I'm not sure what they meant) by Vodafone.

I'm only really getting the chance to give the battery a full test run today as I only got the phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ok, can't really remember how to do this but, settings, networks settings (maybe it's connection settings?), network mode, then you want the second one down, the one with numbers.
    It should give you a bit more battery life but the battery's pretty bad on those anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Well folks got it sorted... @ Pythia - very close, must've just been the different phone that confused me.

I spoke to Vodafone and it turns out 3G does indeed drain your battery (about 1/3 as much as Blutooth being on constantly) Not a huge amount really but good to know all the same....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

3G drains your battery more because you require more Location Updates and handovers as you move from one network to another (i.e. 3G to 2G). Unlike with GSM, with 3G you can actually move between networks without changing location due to different signal strengths.
    Shouldn't cause massive problems, but if you don't use 3G you may as well save the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement