Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo prices

Options
  • 19-01-2006 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just wondered Why are some types of ammo so expensive here in ireland. i can get a box of .308win for €28 which is ok but then a box of .220swift is €40:confused: now i get all my 220swifts posted to me from the US but i think you are mot suppost to do this but hell they only cost me $20 inc postage. Ive had so much presents from the states over Christmas now i have enough 220swift ammo to take over Cuba:D

Has anyone any info where i can get them cheap over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Giving your name and location mightn't be the best plan on a thread like this you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Emm Point Taken!!
    Its a pain that these steps have to be taken dough!! Greedy Goverment:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

For the record I don’t own, shoot nor mail 308 or 220 Swift.
    Not that I have anything against them.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gun nut

Yeah I got a problem with the price of swifts,they are outrageous compared to .223 rounds and are not that much superior.Thought about trading in my swift for a 223 but nobody wants swifts now,plus I have customised mine and its a real sweet shooter now so I really dont want to part with it.Just the cost of the damn ammo.What about reloading is that legal here or what and if so anybody know where the material can be got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

For your information the importation of ammunition even by a licensed firearms holder is presently not lawful, Section 17 of the 1964 Firearms Acts as amended indicates that the importation of a firearm by a license holder is permitted and there is no need for a separate importation license but the fact that it does not mention ammunition means that the importation of ammunition even by a license holder is not lawful.

This will be changed in the upcoming amendments to the act and the word "ammunition" will be added, The net effect of the current situation is that despite a tourist having a license for a firearm if they import ammunition at the same time they are technically breaking the law.

Presently anyone who mails in ammunition is risking a raid of their house by customs and the Gardai, the Gardai who deal with the criminal elements are generally not too familiar with the sporting use of firearms and it has happened and may happen again that a lawful holder of a firearm importing ammunition or components of ammunition may have their door kicked in by Gardai and customs in response to picking up ammunition in the mail.

I would not advise the importation of ammunition by mail until the legislation actually changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hopefully we will not have to wait too long for the law to change:rolleyes:

Advertisement