Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAT 5 cabling

Options
  • 19-01-2006 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Just to let ye all know!

I have a 2 bed house in the grove and I have been exploring behind the metal plates that are around the house, they are usually beside sockets. I have 6 points in the house and I have discovered CAT5 cable behind 4 out of the 6. The other two had Co-Axial cable.

The Co-Axial cable can be used for extra TV points; more importantly the CAT5 cable can be used for just about anything.

Extra Phone points.
    Lighting Control.
    AV System Control Panels
    Home Networking.
    Broadband.

Whether you ever use it or not, I was quoted €60 per length by the site electrician to put it in, I said no!
    I was quoted €200 by a guy I know in the trade to come in after signing to put it in.
    I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be there but it is, and ye should have a look see in yours too. It is a thick light grey cable with 8 smaller wires inside.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Eoin,

If you look in your spare room and have one going to the TV area, you can use your Media Centre with the CAT5 which will speed it up two fold.

Ru

Advertisement