Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off in web development

Options
  • 19-01-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all.

I am a fairly well experienced software developer with good knowledge of J2EE, PHP, MySQL etc. I am also fairly experienced with web page design and layout. I have a few questions that I was hoping you would answer.

First off, is there a regulatory body in Ireland for web designers/web developers?
    What is the best approach for getting new business? Phone call, written letter…?

If someone could point me to where I can get this type of information it would be very helpful.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

From my experience sales is the toughest part of being a website developer. Get the sales up and running and you'll be away. If your really serious about it you may even look into employing someone to do the sales for you. With your background you should have no problems doing the work but unless you have a good sales system up and running you might spend most of your time twidling your thumbs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Starkiller

Thanks for the reply.
    I realise the importance of sales. After 6 years of software design for a large multinational it is the area that I am most lacking.
    So where can I go to learn this? How do other web developers get their business? I don’t want to appear like an amateur by making the wrong approach to businesses looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You need to network with business people. You will need some sort of portfolio to show potential clients what you can do. Maybe do 1 or 2 websites for your friends or one for your business. Word of mouth is very powerful if you do a good job and your first few clients hopefully should bring in more and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

axer wrote:
    Word of mouth is very powerful
    Quoted for truth. Don't be holding out for big clients in the beginning, take what you can and do it well. A lot of jobs I get come simply from telling people that I'm a website developer -- often in social scenarios, down the pub, whereever. Someone will want a page done, or know someone who does.

Do a good job and you're known as the guy who can do it. Get in with a few more important corporate clients and you'll find them returning to you in the future for other jobs, or passing your name along to others.

It does take time, so good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You may also find work sub-contracting to other designers / developers.

Get involved with the IIA

Have a look at what other people are doing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I found this book quite good for information and advice on running a web design company. Has loads of sample documents like contracts, proposals, etc. that you can amend for your own business. They've got sample chapters for download.

http://www.sitepoint.com/books/freelance1/

Anyway, I found the best way to get business is word of mouth and reputation. Get networking. Get into a chamber of commerce or something like that and start meeting people who will spend money with you, no matter what the scenario. Also, team up with other freelancers/companies that could pass your name on to their clients or would take on webdesign work as an extra and get you to do it, e.g. your accountant has loads of clients - give him a few cards and if he hears anything, pass your name on; also, I use a graphic designer for my designs and I do the web development for sites he gets in. Works both ways.

Anyway, to get you on your way, PM with your rates and a portfolio if you have one, and I'll keep you in mind for some work... I outsource alot of development when I'm busy.

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

stay up to date with the latest advances in the web, i.e. the importance of accessibility and good clean design, how ajax and other things can make things for users easier. rss and all that other jazz

Most businesses these days seem to want simple, clean effective sites. Forget about flash intro's and all that fancy crap.

Also, basic sites will rank much better in search engines.

If you can offer a good service and be competitive with what you charge you could go places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

All good advise above, I'd also add the simple tip of not being afraid to ask for business e.g. I had a company doing some work in my house, I asked them if they had a website, they said they didn't but were considering it - the rest is history.

Without wishing to hijack the thread, but the OP would be interested in this also I'm sure: Given the fact that there's SOOO much web design software out there, what would you guys recommend for cheap/free web design software? I'm thinking software mainly to handle the design, rather than stuff that'll write reams of code to do stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

PauloMN wrote:
    what would you guys recommend for cheap/free web design software? I'm thinking software mainly to handle the design, rather than stuff that'll write reams of code to do stuff.
    In windows I use Crimson Editor. In Linux (my preferred codeing enviornment) I'd use either Quanta+, for a project, or KATE (KDE Advanced Text Editor) for touching up a file. All freely available.

For desigining the look of a site I'd usually just use either Photoshop or GIMP (free alternative).

If you're talking about a WYSIWYG editor then I'm not sure of a free one, but I think Macromedia Dreamweaver is known for being pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Starkiller

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies. You have been very helpful.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

blacknight wrote:
    You may also find work sub-contracting to other designers / developers.

Get involved with the IIA

Have a look at what other people are doing...

I agree, the IIA has been wonderful resource for me. Also, a sitepoint book was mentioned, also take a look at their web design business kit. Its FULL of information from setting up to cold calling to closing.

Finally, I would reccomend getting a copy of "Starting a business in Ireland"
    (http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/). Its not a tough a read as you might think and its got lots of information about courses and stuff you can go to.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement