Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint Color suggestion please

Options
  • 19-01-2006 11:45am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

A daft question but we would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

We have an ivory colored kitchen with an iroko worktop, now we have cream porcelain tiles on the floor but are lacking on ideas on what color tile for the wall around the units and also a paint color which would suit the units, worktop and floor tile

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Depending on size of kitchen,I would go for a colour I used recently for a friend,well it was two colours as it was an open plan kitchen/dining area.I dont know name off hand what colour is now(homebase colur own brand),but it was a nice plum colour in one section of kitchen and an off white in dining room.

Your best bet yop would probably get a couple of testers.The thing also I said earlier on about size of kitchen was my friends was big and the plum colour would not close in the walls,dark colours can make a room look small.

As for colour tiles,phiff! Very hard to visualise without seeing it for real...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lad, kitchen is 18ft * 11ft so it is large enough.

Believe it or not there is a similar kitchen on the dulux site, plum, a nice rich color

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

yop wrote:
    Thanks lad, kitchen is 18ft * 11ft so it is large enough.

Believe it or not there is a similar kitchen on the dulux site, plum, a nice rich color

Yup plum was a lovely colour especially with the other colour,maybe do opposite walls in plum and a matching colour or natural one on other walls?..

Yeah the dulux website lets you pick,match colours in various rooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

Yop, if you have the kitchen and tiles installed then check out the crown paint weblink below -hope link work's :o

http://www.crownpaint.co.uk/expcolour/create/index.html

It's a handy tool where you take a picture of the room and edit colours to your hearts content until you find the preferred colour :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

I'm planning the same - cream kitchen iroko worktop and was thinking of cream tiles on the wall also but some green mosaic tiles for contrast around sink/cooker and maybe some green paint on one wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

In my kitchen/diner I've cream walls but the end wall in the dining area is Burmese Ruby by Dulux. I thought it might be too strong a colour but if I say so myself, it's lovely. Visitors comment on it and think it's a great combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Hi Yop
    Isn't it nice (at last!!) to be painting!:D

Is there any other colour in the kitchen aside from the ivory and cream mentioned.
    If there is any colour that you could elaborate/pick up on as a main wall colour this usually works very well to draw everything together without looking out of place, if that makes any sense?
    Complementary as oppose to overpowering/out of place if you know what I mean?
    Also, the one wall strong colour as mentioned by Deisemum can look fabulous depending on kitchen layout and I think if you can do most/all of a wall in the one strong colour instead of inbetween bits/units etc it is excellent.
    And later when you want to change the look it is easy to do.

Best of luck.
    Tobi

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes Tobi , it is great to finally get to this stage!

We have the cream units, cream porcelain, black windows, pine doors, iroko (brown) worktop. Not sure but I think that we will go with a mix of cream and coffee tiles, and possibly a make-up, cuppachino color on the wall?

Must get the testers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

This sounds good Yop, love the colours.....I am thinking of chocolate when I read them!!:D
    You could, also pick some obscure colour, that complements the browns/cappuchino and get your own colour made up.....the possibilities are endless!
    Also, can you get textured paint these days, you know apply it and it looks like it has a slight texture...ie velvety kind of look to it.

Enjoy the outcome whatever you decide.
    Tobi

Advertisement