Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Dremel or not to Dremel?

Options
  • 19-01-2006 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Dremel craft drill, something along the lines of this.

The main short term reason I want it for is for cutting non-standard cuts in 100mm square ceramic wall tiles. Does the Dremel cut ceramic tiles with the accessories that are supplied as standard?

Has anyone any experience using a Dremel – are they a quality product and what kind of uses have you found for it? I am doing extensive renovations and an extension to my house so I can imagine I will find plenty of uses for it, but I’m wondering how often people find themselves using them.

Can you get by with the standard accessories or do you really need a fuller range to get best use of it? Are there major differences between the different models or are they gimmicky differences just to get you to splash more cash? Would you recommend battery powered or corded?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I bought a Draper rotary tool - quality German made equivalent €40 including all accessories!!! - they are all sold with cutting wheels that will cut metal, tiles etc.

I bought mine on a real whim to cut bits out of a PC case - but have since found it to be invaluable for a lot of things....& I mean a lot - has come in handy so many times when I'd have been seriously stuck without it.

Good example was fitting a new timer switch for heating - replacment switch was diff. from original - used this baby to cut a perfect channel in existing tiles (on wall) for cables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Good to hear it - I'm gonna need to cut a hole in bathroom wall tiles for a shaver socket so one of these sounds like the job so.

So Rotary Multi Tool seems to be the generic name, and that widens the options a bit. I see my good old favourites at Ryobi have one which, if their usual standards are anything to go by, will be a quality product at a good price so I might look into that.

So you found the quality of the Draper ok then? My Draper jigsaw is the one tool I've purchased which I havent been happy with the quality of, but maybe thats a once off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hmmm - Yep I definitely am happy - have always liked Draper stuff actually - don't know about their Jigsaws though.....:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Frank
    get your self to your nearest ALdi and see if the have any "dremels" left.

they had them on sale a few back for e20. :eek:

you get a variable speed dremelish rotary tool plus a long flexible shaft and mini-tools. well worth it.

don't oay 150+ for the about official dremel stuff.. no way

and look on-line then for modelers attachments -- high speed steel burrs for 1 or 2 pound sterling --- I got 3 hss burrs from England for 5 pound and use them for my woodturning stuff ...

karl.

ps - will find out where there are some left

Advertisement