Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Speaker Cable + where to buy?

• 19-01-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently rewiring the house and I want to get in a multi-room speaker layout setup. I'd love a www.sonos.com but will have to go the 'hard-wired & switcher box' route for the time being.

This is a full rewire, can you recommend an inexpensive acceptable quality speaker cable, I need 300meters so cost is an issue (definitely want to spend sub 99cent per meter).

Also where can I buy this online, I read the 'where to buy' sticky to no avail, I saw www.hificables.co.uk but left more confused than I arrived.

I also need 300meters of CT100, anyone know where this can be got?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

www.canford.co.uk are *The* cable people. Might be expensive, but they'll sell you a roll. Just looked, single screened cable is 1.22 Euro a metre if you get over 100.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Thanks Lump.

They have 300 meters of CT100 for €150, not bad!

I really could do with help choosing from here http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/categorybrowse.aspx?TreePosId=3000134

GENERAL PURPOSE LOUDSPEAKER CABLE is 34 cent per meter.

The same stuff in 4 core is .53cent - is this worth it?
    Anyone have opinions on shielded stuff?

Cheers

Van de Hul are good cable makers.... (From www.hificables) but that site seems to only sell predefined lengths. In a local music shop, you can pick up standard speaker cable cheaply enough.

John

4 Core is pointless.... unless you have the connectors on the speaker. It might be good if you want to run 4 audio feeds along on cable, and then take each of 4 speakers off a different colour. Would mean you'd only have one cable to run. Single Screened should be fine....

I really have to go out, I'll reply more when I get back.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

• Advertisement

I really could do with help choosing from here http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/categorybrowse.aspx?TreePosId=3000134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

from what ive read, basically the thicker the better and those cables look very thin - on some of the av forums ppl recommend cat5 cable and use it to make, what they claim, are great speaker cables - might be worth checking out ?

eg http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/interconnects/DIYSpeakerCablesp1.html
    more : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221626&highlight=cat5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hi,

I ran 50 meters at €.50/m off a reel that I got from a local HomeInstallation place. It is the standard OFC stuff like these.
    I ran 2 runs of 2 wires to each speakers becuse I am BiWiring all of them.

Sounds fine to me... I agree with voxpop saying that some of the other cables llook a little thin, but then having said that, I have seen some very nice clean expensive wire that was very very thin. The guy in the shop said it was great for running the tweeter when biwiring. I would tend to send the same guage wire to all the speakers though.

L.

voxpop wrote:

Van de Hul would be better essentially it's the daddy of Audio Cable.

John

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/item_34-270_3001262.aspx is fine Speaker cable generally isn't screened.... as there's normally no where to connect the screen at the amp/speaker end. You could buy this http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/item_33-259_3001265.aspx ay 1.61 per metre.... but I think the normal .34 cable would be fine. What is the maximum length you'd be running?

John

• Advertisement

Cheers guys/girls

Short runs - the max length would be 15 meters approx.

The 0.34 cable will be fine, any one telling you other wise, is clearly talking out of their ass.

John

nereid wrote:
    Hi,

I ran 50 meters at €.50/m off a reel that I got from a local HomeInstallation place. It is the standard OFC stuff like these.
    I ran 2 runs of 2 wires to each speakers becuse I am BiWiring all of them.

Sounds fine to me... I agree with voxpop saying that some of the other cables llook a little thin, but then having said that, I have seen some very nice clean expensive wire that was very very thin. The guy in the shop said it was great for running the tweeter when biwiring. I would tend to send the same guage wire to all the speakers though.

L.

As a matter of interest, why are you bi-wiring them?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Lump wrote:
    Van de Hul are good cable makers.... (From www.hificables) but that site seems to only sell predefined lengths. In a local music shop, you can pick up standard speaker cable cheaply enough.

John
    Certain shops sell them "off the roll" type thing, so it's easy enough to get custom cables made.
    Lump wrote:
    4 Core is pointless.... unless you have the connectors on the speaker. It might be good if you want to run 4 audio feeds along on cable, and then take each of 4 speakers off a different colour. Would mean you'd only have one cable to run. Single Screened should be fine....

I really have to go out, I'll reply more when I get back.
    John
    Why not run 4core cables and use 2 cores per binding post - it should improve the signal (generally thicker = better).
    Lump wrote:
    Van de Hul would be better essentially it's the daddy of Audio Cable.

John
    I disagree :) After listening to lots and lots of commercial cables over my time, Nordost are definately the daddys. Silly silly expensive though.. Van den Hul make some good stuff though.

To the OP - what setup will you be using? Using cheap speaker cable in your additional rooms is a good idea if it will just be for casual listening, but try and keep your main rooms speaker cable of reasonable quality.
    Dont use Cat5 for long runs - the resistance is too high. It's fine for <5m runs though. ( http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html )
    There is no real need to go for screened cables, as speaker cables transmit high voltages, and are thus less sensitive to outside effects. Try to keep power/speaker & interconnects at right angles to each other.

I'm a biwiring sceptic too. I think an equal, if not better result can be had from spending twice as much on the speaker cable and just running a single run to the speakers, and using speaker cable in place of the metal bridge they supply you with. I currently bi-amp my speakers, which I think is the main reason that the 4 post designs were released :)

commited wrote:
    Certain shops sell them "off the roll" type thing, so it's easy enough to get custom cables made.
    I know, but that specific site sells predefined lengths, hene my suggestion of going to music shops.
    Why not run 4core cables and use 2 cores per binding post - it should improve the signal (generally thicker = better).
    I don't think it's worth the .25 Euro, or what ever the difference is per metre.... it won't make a huge difference.
    I disagree :) After listening to lots and lots of commercial cables over my time, Nordost are definately the daddys. Silly silly expensive though.. Van den Hul make some good stuff though.
    Indeed they are, but as you say, they're very expensive, Van Den Hul are good on the quality/cost.
    There is no real need to go for screened cables, as speaker cables transmit high voltages, and are thus less sensitive to outside effects. Try to keep power/speaker & interconnects at right angles to each other.
    I still think it's a good idea to use screened, as in a house you're never too sure of the way the power cables run, and the inductance of the mains.

John

Lump wrote:
    As a matter of interest, why are you bi-wiring them?

John

Hi John,

The main reason is the better sound seperation and clear trebble that I get from the amp. I prefer minimising the crossovers at the speakers as the amp seems to be doing a better job of it. I am also not using the sub at the minute so I am trying to maintain as clear a bass signal as I can for the fronts.

The current amp BiAmps the front (a and b zones) and the new amp can BiAmp the front speakers and because it is a 7.1 amp and as I am only using 5.1 and not using the zone2 and zone3 features I can BiAmp the rears as well.

L.

Fair play. Just wondered.

John

Interesting read about Bi-Wiring and Bi-Amping http://www.whathifi.com/newsMainTemplate.asp?storyID=59&newssectionID=3

John

Another interesting article on bi-amping..

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Just read those articles on BiAmping and it certainly makes interesting reading all right.

I think that the moral of the story for the OP - thedesigntribe - is that if you can, put down two runs of speaker cable or run the 4 core one to each speaker location "just in case" and then you have the opportunity of biAmp and BiWiring if you so choose at a point in the future.

L.

• Advertisement

wow, just read those, very interesting... but dangerous - I have enough anoraks to wear without trying on this particularly wooly duffel coat ;-)

Cheers all.

Dangerous? Live with it, you are a nerd!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

while we're on the topic, i need to get a longer audio cable to connect my speakers (basic 2.1) to my laptop..
    i think the name of the cable is "stereo to stereo" and i need it at least 5metres long, possibly 10, any idea where i'd get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Bought some cheap speaker cable from peats recently. 60c per metre, sound pretty good from my 603s :)

That stuff is little better than electrical wire.
    My dad was using electrical wire with a high end Linn/Meridian/B&W system for years. It sounded good. It sounded better after a bit of money was thrown at the cables though :)

Wire's wire at the end of the day. How much of a difference can it make? Personally I think it's all marketing, but I've never heard lots of different speaker cables.

Wrong, copper and silver can vary greatly in purity.
    Cables make a difference - cables arent going to make hardware better, but they'll make sure that you get the best out of your system.
    I'd never spend much on cables, but I do believe that if you have a decent enough system, you should use decent enough cables.

I always like tangible improvements but technically and aurally, what is different in the sound?

It generally depends on the system..
    better cables reveal more detail, change the tonal balance of a system to suit etc.
    It's really something you have to find out for yourself. There are cable sceptics and people who think cables are everything. I'm somewhere on the sceptic side of average - I know they make a difference - but I'd rather spend my money on better hardware!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Well let's see if anyone will claim anything concrete about cables apart from subjective nonsense like 'better separation' and 'fluid resonances' etc.

Apart from resistance (and possibly shielding) what measurable qualities could one length of cable have over another?

It's been proved over and over that when audiophiles are told they're listening to expensive equipment they'll hear the improvement, when the tests are double-blind then no-one can tell the difference.

Advertisement