Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Speaker Cable + where to buy?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Have you ever heard the difference?

I've done blind tests. I heard a difference. I dont really care that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

pH wrote:
    Well let's see if anyone will claim anything concrete about cables apart from subjective nonsense like 'better separation' and 'fluid resonances' etc.

Apart from resistance (and possibly shielding) what measurable qualities could one length of cable have over another?

It's been proved over and over that when audiophiles are told they're listening to expensive equipment they'll hear the improvement, when the tests are double-blind then no-one can tell the difference.

Right,

As sound is "transmitted" from the amp to the speakers, it essentially is a series of voltage changes. These voltage changes move the magnet at the speaker which in turn move the speaker cone which produces the sound.

if you imagine a bass sound as a big push of the cone, and a spoken word as a number of small ocilations of a smaller seperate cone, then you can see how signals can interfere with eachother.

Seperating the low and high frequences is well documented, and at the very least can do no harm.

The quality of the wire to transmit the electrical signals can make a difference because the more resistance along the wire, the more that the signal has to be amplified to get the same volume out of the speakers at the end. Amplifing adds noise, noise means bigger voltages, bigger voltages mean more interference between signals, interference translates into poorer audible quality etc etc...

You see, what you are terming "subjective nonsense" with regard to "better seperation" really at the end of the day does boil down to measurable qualities like resistance and shielding.

In fact, isn't "subjective" the entire purpose of listening? I mean, if I like the better seperated sound, and you like the rounded sound, it doesn't mean that either of us is wrong. Or does it?

To sort this out, there should be a meeting arranged in a room, with an amp, a set of speakers, a run of speaker cable and a run of bell wire and then we will see if what you are "claiming" is correct or not...

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

As sound is "transmitted" from the amp to the speakers, it essentially is a series of voltage changes. These voltage changes move the magnet at the speaker which in turn move the speaker cone which produces the sound.

if you imagine a bass sound as a big push of the cone, and a spoken word as a number of small ocilations of a smaller seperate cone, then you can see how signals can interfere with eachother.

Seperating the low and high frequences is well documented, and at the very least can do no harm.

I'm not talking about your bi-amping stuff (though I think you're kidding yourself on the sound at least there is a plausible explanation)
    The quality of the wire to transmit the electrical signals can make a difference because the more resistance along the wire, the more that the signal has to be amplified to get the same volume out of the speakers at the end. Amplifing adds noise, noise means bigger voltages, bigger voltages mean more interference between signals, interference translates into poorer audible quality etc etc...

You see, what you are terming "subjective nonsense" with regard to "better seperation" really at the end of the day does boil down to measurable qualities like resistance and shielding.

And that would make sense if that's how the cable manufactures sold and marketed their products, but you know what - they don't.
    In fact, isn't "subjective" the entire purpose of listening? I mean, if I like the better seperated sound, and you like the rounded sound, it doesn't mean that either of us is wrong. Or does it?
    No except we're both hearing the same thing - the separation and rounding is all in our minds.
    To sort this out, there should be a meeting arranged in a room, with an amp, a set of speakers, a run of speaker cable and a run of bell wire and then we will see if what you are "claiming" is correct or not...

Can we try some Solar Wind (REV2) as well please?

Have a look here : http://www.cloneyaudio.com/pricelist.htm

(Oh and don't get me started on 'power cables', go to that page and search for Valhalla - I'll bet cloney audio has big glass windows to see them coming!)

Advertisement