Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick tiling question

Options
  • 19-01-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of tiling a wall in my utility room. Next stage is to tile around a double socket. Its a chrome, round edged socket.

Should I tile up to the side of the socket (so it finishes flush with tiles), or should I remove the socket, tile around the socket box, and then refit the socket so that it sits proud of the suface of the tiles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi Frank

Not an expert, but anyone I have seen do it has just loosened the socket
    and then tiled a few mm in behind it ( hope that makes sense), Then when finished just tighten the socket and job done.
    Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

FYI
    you might have to get a longer screw to screw the face plate back on though. Sometime when you put the tile behind the face plate then the screws wont go back in as there too short.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I unscrewed the sockets, and tiled a couple of mm behind it, and re-fitted.

Couple of points to note:

1. On the edges, do not tile in so far that the tile will block the screw from getting into the threaded reveicer of the wall box.
    2. Likewise, when you put the wall glue on, and press the tile into position, make sure a clump of glue doesnt squeeze out and block the screw from getting into the threaded reveicer of the wall box.
    3. You may need to get longer screws to refit the sockets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definately you take the socket off, have a look at the back of the socket to see where the back of it protrudes, so that you can see how far in you can go, you will need longer screws but when it is dry and grouted put the socket back on, but make sure you dont over tighten, it will crack the tile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

perfect, thanks. yep, I suspected that it would look better sitting proud of the tiles alright, though the other half thought otherwise, so just wanted some ammo to persuade her! Have some longer screws so no worries there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement