Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minocin

• 19-01-2006 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone had any success with minicin ? I was prescribed it when I was about 16 and it didnt do much good. Im 21 now and Ive just been prescribed it again. Dont know if I should bother.

Anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it for acne? I think that was the first antibiotic I was put on for my acne (about 3 years ago), but it didn't help me at all. If it's bad enough, ask your doctor about going on roaccutane -- it's horrible stuff, but it does the job for most people quite quickly (I would have to be the exception: on it about 18 months and my back is still terrible!)

It's called 'Minocin', by the way

Yeah its for my back, which is pretty bad, my face is grand though. Isnt Accutane a little strong ? Whats involved ? a blood test ?

I hear it costs alot too...Tbh im sick of it at this stage and money/side effects arent really an issue. I just want to be clear of it.

I took it for about 4-5 months one year. Didn't work at all. Then I took accutane and it cleared me up in about 3 weeks! But with that came horrible dry lips and depression which made me drink a lot. It's pretty hardcore, but it it's that much of a problem to you then it could be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I used Minocin before and it was satisfactory for me.

Started on it when I was 16 for 6 months and with a 6 month or so gap of being not on it, I went on another 6 month spell.

First time on it it took about 4 months for a noticable improvement.

After I went off it my skin went bad again (I had moderately bad acne)

Second time around it worked far better and my skin has been improved since.

The improvement was far noticable on my face. I'm 19 now and I only get the odd spot on my face now but I still have spots on my back abliet not as bad as it was.

Overall I feel minocin worked successfully. Ok I'm sure I've grown out of acne through age but it definitely helped combat my acne.

Again this forum isn't for medical advice so the best advice is to go to your doctor and decide which type of acne treatment is best for you and which you're most comfortable with.

• Advertisement

I was prescribed minocin about 5 months ago. My skin has cleared up only slightly so I'm not particularly impressed with the results. I'm due to go back to the doctor now so I'll find out if it's worth my while staying on it. I was prescribed it to clear up my back and chest but the spots still come and go and the itch has never really died down:(

Obviously you won't know if it'll work for you unless you give it a go. But if you do decide to try it you have to be comitted to taking it every day for a few months or else you won't see any results. I think it's quite difficult to get.. My mum works in a chemist and get it for me but she has to order it a couple of weeks in advance. It's expensive too.

Have you been prescribed anything else for your skin between the ages of 16 and 18? Seems strange you'd be put back on Minocin if it didn't work for you before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

minocin did nothing when i was younger, was then on roaccutane.. that worked. I still get pimples sometimes but no more acne. roaccutane is much more hardcore. Some people find depression, i did not.. opposite in fact.. i think it amplifies your mood so if you are already a little depressed it makes you worse. I was happy to see some results and it made me happier still.
    Bottom line.. it depends.. no point listening to me or anyone else as all medicines react with different people in different ways. If it did not work last time i dont see why it would now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Have you tried that Tony Quinn cure? Its very good for back and face.

Have you tried that Tony Quinn cure? Its very good for back and face.

no idea what that is. care to explain ? :)

Advice?? wrote:
    Yeah its for my back, which is pretty bad, my face is grand though. Isnt Accutane a little strong ? Whats involved ? a blood test ?

I hear it costs alot too...Tbh im sick of it at this stage and money/side effects arent really an issue. I just want to be clear of it.

Roaccutane is very strong, yeah (although I would imagine you'd start off on a low dose), especially compared to Minocin, which is a walk in the park.

The only thing involved really is a blood test or two. It can affect your liver adversely, I believe, so if they take a blood test at the start then they'll catch any problems which may arise. If it's going to cause problems, it'll do it at the start. They're also supposed to check that you're not prone to depression, but my doctor basically says to me "well you don't look depressed!:D" and thinks that's satisfactory. He seems to be a bit awkward about it.

It does cost a fair bit yeah... Not really sure, but we'll say €50 for 4 weeks' supply. But you're able to go on that scheme where you only pay bout €80 a month on medication (I'm on it). The side-effects are pretty bloody annoying, also. I've had and/or continue to have: dry lips (terrible!!!), dry eyes/blurry vision (I actually got an eye test over this because I didn't realise that it was a side-effect), swollen thyroid glands, sore muscles & joints, extreme tiredness (the most frustrating effect for me -- I had study for the leaving cert while dealing with this! etc), and others.

So yeah, it's hardcore stuff, so if your acne is problematic then I'd say go for it, but be ready for some abuse!

I've also noticed, as have a few people, that my temper has become quite short since I've started. Another side-effect I think. It kinda messes with your head a bit, but just be aware that it's only the drugs, and it's not permanent.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 timamansio

Minocin worked perfectly for me (it's been a while now though!!) but we're all different. I'd say give it another try this time and if it doesn't work go back to your GP and they should either prescribe something else or refer you to a dermatologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 McGyver

I was on Minocin for about two years...I dont know it it helped...but I am sure I would have had worse acne if I didn't.

I then started using SudoCream...it worked very well.

I now have an intolerance to Morphene...the doctors tell me that this is because of my prolonged use of Minocin.

Check out this page for advice:
    http://www.acnefacts.net/acne_treatment.html

McGyver

Advertisement