Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed my test

Options
  • 19-01-2006 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I had my first proper driving test today, and failed quite spectacularly.
    I got one Grade 3 fault, which automatically failed me. I was waiting to turn right at a traffic light. The traffic was so heavy I had to wait through one green light, and most of another. When I saw a chance to turn I took it, but the light was amber (and possibly red by the time I had finished turning). That was me failed.

I got 4 grade 2 faults for Progress on straight roads. I was sticking to the 50kph limit, but wasn't keeping up with the other cars going 60 or more. 4 grade 2 faults also mean an instant fail. I do think it's a bit unfair that I get penalised for not breaking the law, but at least know what to do next time.

Although the tester was a bit harsh, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and admit most of the faults are ones I can easily correct next time. I just hope I won't be waiting too long this time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hard luck,

But you have the right attitude, learn by your mistakes and you'll be a better driver in the long term.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't sweat it, the tester sounds like a clown IMO.

1. He faulted you for not making progress(which was only possible by braking the law)

2. He then faulted you for driving through an amber/red light after holding up traffic through nearly 2 'changes'

I would have done the same, so I'd have failed too. You'll get it the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

You can be unlucky..wouldnt worry about it to much..I failed my test first time..I did all the hard parts right reveresed around the corner all 3 point etc perfect..he asked me stop on a really steep hill...and said ok pull of when your ready i stupidly let the handbrake up before engageing the clutch and power started to roll paniced droped the clutch planted my right foot...f**king wheels span..total mess..i just kept saying "b*ll*x b*ll*x b*ll*x" over and over again instructor was like" calm just continue on" needless to say i failed....aftre doing the more difficuklt parts perfect i was sick...you'll get it next time at least you recognise your mistakes...a lot of people blame the tester "blah blah blah he was so hard on me.....rubbish these people usually fail again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

fjon wrote:
    The traffic was so heavy I had to wait through one green light, and most of another. When I saw a chance to turn I took it, but the light was amber (and possibly red by the time I had finished turning). That was me failed.

If you are in the middle of a junction waiting to turn right ("in control of the junction" I think they call it) then this is the only time you are allowed legally break a red light, provided it is safe to do so.

hard luck & better luck next time

Eoin

eoin_s wrote:
    If you are in the middle of a junction waiting to turn right ("in control of the junction I think they call it") then this is the only time you are allowed legally break a red light, provided it is safe to do so.

hard luck & better luck next time

Eoin

That's all fair enough, but I don't understand what that has to do with my post. I stated that I would have done the same, if I was holding up traffic at a junction I would have drove through the amber light, (and possibly failed too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

Don't sweat it.. Alot of the examiners can be real unfair and intimidating aswell, and it does seem unfair that you get faults for not breaking the law.

You have the right attitude tho, re-apply as soon as possible, maybe get a refresher lesson the morning of the exam. This is what I did and so did alot of my friends, I think its the best way to pass as everything is fresh in your head and having the driving instructor go over stuff with you in the morning will ease the nerves a bit...

Keep at it and you'll have no prob

Sparks400 wrote:
    That's all fair enough, but I don't understand what that has to do with my post. I stated that I would have done the same, if I was holding up traffic at a junction I would have drove through the amber light, (and possibly failed too)

I was just saying that it may have been harsh to fail on that, for the reason I mentioned. I would also have done the same. I have edited my post if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah dont sweat it !

I failed first time too, I clipped the kerb with my inside left rear wheel whilst turning sharp left, never done it before or since !

Instant failure for "mounting the footpath" !

I felt it was unfair because the particular place the only way I could make the turn was to get real close or else the front of the car would have swung out over the white line !

Still I reapplied the next day and waited ............and got it !

The toughest part is the long wait till your next date !

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I failed my first for a stupid thing:

there was a few cars parked on myside of the road causing an obstruction and a double decker bus was coming the opposite direction.

By the rules of the road I had to give way, which i did .. although the bus also gave way. As taught in theory, use of 'flashing head lights' to indicate giving way is not correct as it can be interperted any way by the other driver.

A few seconds went by (seemed like minutes), then I decided I have to 'make progress' as the bus was giving way, unfortunatly the bus driver had the same idea. It ended with both of us driving towards a space where there was only room for one !! I ended up flooring it and diving into the ever decreasing space!! Instant fail for 'playing chicken' with a double decker!!

Unfortunalty the test is based on 'theoritical driving' practices not real driving situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

whippet wrote:
    I ended up flooring it and diving into the ever decreasing space!! Instant fail for 'playing chicken' with a double decker!!

I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time but it is a great way to fail a test if there is such a thing!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'm scared ANY of you passed. Some chancers....:eek:

I did my test in heavy traffic, and I just sat behind everything, or waiting through a few changes of lights till it was 1000% safe. I gave way to everything. If in doubt wait. In the end the instructor got tired of me waiting at every junction, and said "listen I know you can drive, you've passed, just get me back to the center for the next test on time".

Playing chicken with buses when the obstruction is on your side? :eek:

I won't argue that the test isn't great or realistic, because I think its dire. But some of you would be dangerous with a crayon. :D No offense. :cool:

That said at least none of you knocked down anyone. Did you....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I know a guy who was signing the form saying he was insured to sign the car, put the pen lid back on, and the instructor shouted at him for that. He knew he was going to fail after that. He's an officer in the army so next time wants to wear his uniform, insist the examiner calls him sir, or his rank than surname, and maybe leave his rifle on the back seat. That could help him pass.

Hard luck fjon, at least you have the right attitude to failing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

eoin_s wrote:
    If you are in the middle of a junction waiting to turn right ("in control of the junction" I think they call it) then this is the only time you are allowed legally break a red light, provided it is safe to do so.
    That's what I was thinking :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have my test tomorrow, god i hope i don't get a complete asshole.

test is at 10 in rathgar (with a pre test at 8:30) which i hope both will be in my favour

- early in morning may mean a bit of traffic on the road
    - instructors won't be thinking god it's nearly finishing time i'll just fail this guy. then i get to go home.

i hope i pass as this is the second time, although my first time i had only been driving 4 weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I seem to remember being told for my test in terms of progression to get up to a certain speed as quick as possible but not to break the limit. I was told not to go over 45mph in a 60 zone but to get up to it as quick as possible.

Unfortunately the way it was back then and I presume it's like that now is that you had to prepare for the test rather than prepare your driving in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I'm scared ANY of you passed. Some chancers....:eek:

I did my test in heavy traffic, and I just sat behind everything, or waiting through a few changes of lights till it was 1000% safe. I gave way to everything. If in doubt wait. In the end the instructor got tired of me waiting at every junction, and said "listen I know you can drive, you've passed, just get me back to the center for the next test on time".

I also got 2 grade two faults for not making progress on right/ left turns at junctions. I waited until the road was completely clear before pulling out, and looks like I waited too long. "If in doubt wait" didn't work for me sadly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

at an amber light, you HAVE to stop unless it is unsafe to do so.. to the guy who said he would have done the same thing just to keep traffic moving is a dumbass!! heh heh.. No way in hell i would fail my test just to satisfy the cars behind me..

OP -don't worry about it, 50% of people fail first time, incl me:)

fjon wrote:
    I also got 2 grade two faults for not making progress on right/ left turns at junctions. I waited until the road was completely clear before pulling out, and looks like I waited too long. "If in doubt wait" didn't work for me sadly :(

I said 100% safe. All you need is the right gap. Not 10,000% safe. Bit of a subjective judgement in truth. Which is one of the reasons the test is a bit iffy.

LundiMardi wrote:
    at an amber light, you HAVE to stop unless it is unsafe to do so.. to the guy who said he would have done the same thing just to keep traffic moving is a dumbass!! heh heh.. No way in hell i would fail my test just to satisfy the cars behind me..

That is if you are approaching the lights. If you are stuck in the middle of a junction turning right when the lights go red, you are allowed turn left if it is safe to do so.

whippet wrote:
    I failed my first for a stupid thing:
    fail for 'playing chicken' with a double decker!!

Brilliant, your a legend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

it was one of those moments when you wish the road could swallow you up !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

When I was getting lessons for my test, the driving instructor told me to keep my speed up at about 53 kpm/ph in a 50 kpm zone but to keep at 60 kpm in a 60 kpm zone. His advice worked for me as I passed first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

When I was getting lessons for my test, the driving instructor told me to keep my speed up at about 53 kpm/ph in a 50 kpm zone

this makes no sense? breaking the limit = breaking the law = instant fail????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

They're not that strict on the speed limit. You get away with about 53Km as the man said. Just don't be contantly above the speed limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it really depends on the tester, today i had one of the soundest guys ever.

he started chatting away to me about college and the likes which really helped me to calm some nerves.

i actually was going 55 km/hr in a 50 zone he pointed it out to me and i apologised saying "sorry" and he said "don't be silly this road should be 50 at all, should be at least 80".

glad to say i passed, but if i got any other instructor i wouldn't be so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah dont sweat it !

I failed first time too, I clipped the kerb with my inside left rear wheel whilst turning sharp left, never done it before or since !

I failed my test first time by doing this as I was leaving the test centre. Only been driving maybe 20 seconds.

My own fault. At least I passed second time around.

You seem to have a mature attitude about it. I hate hearing all the driving test myths
    "If you're do your test on a Friday, you'll probably fail as the tester has used up his quota of passes for the week."

Complete rubbish. A lot of people blame testers for their bad habits. Testers get my respect as their job is kinda dangerous job when you think about
    it.

Best of luck next time!

micmclo wrote:
    ....I hate hearing all the driving test myths

Its the inconsistency of testing that causes this. and the subjective nature of the test. Like someone else said it depends who you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Update:
    After failing, I re-applied with a letter from work, and less than a month later I got my test.
    I got two pre-test lessons with the excellent Churchtown School of Motoring and did my test at 2 today. 15 minutes later I was back in the office and received my certificate of compliance.
    One major thing I did this time was to just drive more like I normally would, and not worry about the speed limit or what gear I should be in. I got one fault for speeding, but that's better than 4 for going too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

fjon wrote:
    Update:
    After failing, I re-applied with a letter from work, and less than a monthlater I got my test.

Well done you:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Nice one Fjon, took me 5 years to sit my second test!

First one was a nightmare, nearly didn't get into car with him after the interogation!

Second time was a dream! Felt like i was a taxi being directed!

Advertisement