Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed my test

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice one fjon. It feels great nailing the test after having failed the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

fjon wrote:
    Update:
    After failing, I re-applied with a letter from work, and less than a month later I got my test.
    I got two pre-test lessons with the excellent Churchtown School of Motoring and did my test at 2 today. 15 minutes later I was back in the office and received my certificate of compliance.
    One major thing I did this time was to just drive more like I normally would, and not worry about the speed limit or what gear I should be in. I got one fault for speeding, but that's better than 4 for going too slow.

Well done :)
    Only 15 mins?, I'm waiting for my test and thought it would be more like a 60 min drive ? (waiting to do it in the same test centre)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

If one was doing a test in a Toyota Yaris, how does the tester know what speed the car is travelling. The speedomoter cannot be seen from the passenger seat.

I realise that the tester, through experience, would have a rough idea of the speed, but I failed the Category A test first time around for doing 35 mph on four occasions (even though my instructor told me, before the test, that this was better than being under 30 mph). :( It would be quite difficult to distinguish between 50kph and 56kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Longfield wrote:
    Well done :)
    Only 15 mins?, I'm waiting for my test and thought it would be more like a 60 min drive ? (waiting to do it in the same test centre)

The first test I did was around 40 mins, this time it was 15. Maybe he wanted his cup of tea and was convinced he was going to pass me early on.
    You definitely won't be longer than 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Litcagral wrote:
    I realise that the tester, through experience, would have a rough idea of the speed, but I failed the A test first time around for doing 35 mph on four occasions (even though my instructor told me, before the test, that this was better than being under 30 mph). :( It would be quite difficult to distinguish between 50kph and 56kph.

Tough one. Was that in a Yaris as well?
    I didn't notice the instructor looking at my speedo during either test. I guess they must do it by "feel", which is not really the most professional but there you go.

• Advertisement

fjon wrote:
    You definitely won't be longer than 45 mins.

Depends on the category - C+E can last up to two hours!

fjon wrote:
    Tough one. Was that in a Yaris as well? QUOTE]

Category A - i.e. motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I have my test in just under 3 weeks, and my car is still in the garage being fixed, and will be for another week, talk about timing....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

arent u lucky, just got an email sayin mine will be in 2-3 months. gonna geta letter tho

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I failed my first test (in my fathers big Opel omega) because I overtook a stationary vehicle too close. Basically if I had tried to get any firther away from it I would literally have been on the footpath. however, it was the fact that the príck pulled the handbrake on me that really got to me.
    He also to do the turnabout down a very narrow laneway which was barely wider than the length of the car.
    Litcagral wrote:
    If one was doing a test in a Toyota Yaris, how does the tester know what speed the car is travelling. The speedomoter cannot be seen from the passenger seat.
    Maybe the tester has satnav in their pen :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

kbannon wrote:
    however, it was the fact that the príck pulled the handbrake on me that really got to me.

The examiner pulled the hand brake :eek: ? He would have been walking back to the test centre, can't stand that sh!t,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was young, innocent and nervous at the time. I was stunned that he did it and when he did i didn't know how to react.
    Now, it would result in an assault charge!

Advertisement