Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No NTL no IBB what now

• 19-01-2006 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

ok so here is the story i live with two others in Galway city. we are desperate for BB but we aren't on the NTL line and IBB's Breeze package requires a mast and we're renting so thats out and the ripwave is to slow for us :(

so what do fellow boardies have to say??? is there something we're missing or have you had experiences like this??? Will we bite the bullet and install a phoneline or what? any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Umm do you line in the city centre?? There could be a free hotspot in range.. not sure.. i know Dublin is covered in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

smart dsl or metro wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Saruman: no hotspots near us we have a wifi enabled laptop in the house on the lookout.

Sponge_Bob: i'll take a look at them anyway cheers

do you have a phone line in the house, if you plug a phone in do you hear 'soft dialtone' if you then dial 199000 what does it say to you ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

no there is no phoneline :( 3rd house in less than a year and still no BB connection sickining

• Advertisement

Its weird that there is absolutely no phone line , Metro wireless requires LOS to Ballybrit direction IIRC .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

well if you live in built up area it might be worth getting a small aerial which would plug into a wireless pci card as to pick up any hotspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    metro wireless

Does metro not require an ariel?

metro installs are quite low impact, ya just gotta point a box the size of an alarm control panel at the transmitter . It need not be mounted on a pole or bracket because its so light , double back tape on a window pane would hold it in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

all you need is your landlords permission to put up a mast, just tell him theres no plannig permissioin issues whatsoever. i'm renting and i've got breeze 1 meg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    metro installs are quite low impact, ya just gotta point a box the size of an alarm control panel at the transmitter . It need not be mounted on a pole or bracket because its so light , double back tape on a window pane would hold it in place.

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

danniemcq wrote:
    no there is no phoneline :( 3rd house in less than a year and still no BB connection sickining

just order in a phone line - and maybe get Smart to avail of free line rental? price is not that different from ntls... 35 quid a month versus 39 for NTl's max package

A phone line installed from new will cost €125 or so , probably cash up front and additional deposit to eircom as he is renting . But if he _said_ he was a homeowner to 1901 they would not ask for a deposit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

if you can't get a line in, and can't mount a small box to the roo then your options very little, try clearwire there available in Galway, and i have used it there. the connection is'nt that contented as it was only been released a few months ago,
    Speed is good 2Mbit download and the upload is close to 512kb/s

it's like the ripwave box but far much better service, well as long as you get a good signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    A phone line installed from new will cost €125 or so , probably cash up front and additional deposit to eircom as he is renting . But if he _said_ he was a homeowner to 1901 they would not ask for a deposit :p[/QUOTE

my house was not cabled for phone last year, im renting and i wasnt charged for line installation...( march 05 ) when did they bring this in

they have periodic 'new line connected free' promotions, if there is a promotion on (about 4 month in every 12 there is mr bloggs ) and you had a line in the house before get that new line installed into 5C or 5D if your house is simply Number 5 :p

Advertisement