Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow fullbore Rifle and Pistol range

Options
  • 19-01-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

In case anyone is interested, Mallow rifle and Pistol range is up and running, at last there is a fullbore range in the south.
    Not sure what the pistol range is, but for Rifles ranges are 100,200 and 300, with plans to extend out to 600.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Er, dbar, there's been more than one fullbore range operating in the ROI for quite a while now, between Midlands, the Kerry Target Shooting Club, and I thought there were one or two others as well. Always glad to see another opening up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

do ye ave info like membership location etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Sparks,
    I should have been a little more specific, I realise there are already fullbore ranges in the south of Ireland, I meant geographically south, what I should have said was there is now a fullbore range in Cork. Midlands is about 3 hrs from me, Kerry is 2 hrs, Mallow is 30 mins.
    Anyway, good news!

Scout,
    Just saw your post.
    Pat Hayes Country lifestyle Mallow 022 20121 is the owner. 350/Year Membership fees plus 55 for ins if you dont have it already. It is actually about 3 mls just outside Buttervent. A bit basic at the moment, no covered firing points etc, but as far as I know plans are to develop as they get established.

At the moment open on Wed. 2-4:30 and Sun 10-2:30. Will open for longer during the summer.

Ah, that makes more sense now dbar :D

Student rate ?:D

• Advertisement

right on Scout!!

has the club got a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Not sure of the setup on these ranges but can you just pay by the hour without taking out insurance and membership?
    If so how much will it be - or how much is it usually at other ranges?

Only range I went to was the army one at Kinsale when no one was around and that's a hotel now I think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Dont know on all counts,
    but I suspect that at the moment anyway you would need to be a member until the range is a bit more established.
    Best thing to do is give Pat a shout at the number above, I'm only guessing.
    Everyone that was there the last day had all their own gear, I dont even know if there are club rifles at the moment.

he is a gun deeler why wouldent there be club guns not as if hes short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scout wrote:
    he is a gun deeler why wouldent there be club guns not as if hes short
    Sparks knows much more about this than I do, but until he comes along, here's my take on it:
    Essentially, a club has to apply for (and be granted!) a licence to hold and use 'club guns.' These guns don't have to be owned by the club, but I think they sometimes are. Many clubs/ranges are run in some sort of relationship with a gun dealer, so many 'club guns' are owned by a dealer. Club members' privately owned guns are also often listed on this licence.
    This licence allows Club members and visitors to use the guns without breaking the law. That's the one about the licence holder(s) being the only one(s) permitted to hold or use the gun.

I don't know if such an arrangement has yet been put in place in Mallow.

• Advertisement

Essentially, a club has to apply for (and be granted!) a licence to hold and use 'club guns.'
    Well, technically it's not a licence, it's an authorisation, but that's effectively it. There are restrictions; they can only be used by club members in a particular place, and to move them round to competition in other ranges you have to get a removal order (unless they're on a private licence). But that aside, it's a pretty flexible system.

Advertisement