Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Ships shops in Dublin

Options
  • 19-01-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just remembered it is my Dad's birthday tomorrow and he asked me to get him some type of model ship that he can build and paint etc etc. He said he doesn't care what type it is but would prefer a Spainish Armada type ship if i see one.

The question is, does anyone know where in Dublin i can get one at this late stage ????? :confused::o

TIA

Ciaran

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If you are looking for tall ships, or period scale in kit form, from traditional plank-on-frame kits ..... like galleons, or "Mutiny on the Bounty" type of models
    Try these
    Green Hobby & Model, Harolds Cross
    www.greenhobbymodel.com
    The Model Centre, Capel Streel
    (no link AFAIK)
    If is is an already completed boat for the mantlepiece...the antique shop on Nassau St near the end of Dawson St, has some built up model ships, made from carved solid hulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thanks coolwings I will try Capel street this evening as its the easiest place for me to get to at this late stage. :)

When u get there ask for Peter or Brendan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

HI

there is Marks Models on Hawkins St just of Burgh Quay, down from the screen cinema. could be a little expensive.

Upstairs in Toymaster on the corner of jervis st and mary st might have one or 2 good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

It was his dads birthday 2 years ago;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

gorgo wrote: »
    HI

there is Marks Models on Hawkins St just of Burgh Quay, down from the screen cinema. could be a little expensive.

Upstairs in Toymaster on the corner of jervis st and mary st might have one or 2 good ones.

your two years late my friend!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

It was his dads birthday 2 years ago

But wouldn't he have a birthday every year....he may still have time for this year.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carpejoe

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just remembered it is my Dad's birthday tomorrow and he asked me to get him some type of model ship that he can build and paint etc etc. He said he doesn't care what type it is but would prefer a Spainish Armada type ship if i see one.

The question is, does anyone know where in Dublin i can get one at this late stage ????? :confused::o

TIA

Ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carpejoe

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Hi All,

TIA

Ciaran
    Pal, just try marks models on Hawkins St. they have a website google it & that should box you off

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

LOL this was from the 19th of Jan 2006!!!! might be a little late, even for this year!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cb2600

i recently purchased a wooden ship costing 170euro as a present for my dad!! when my dad was looking at the instructions he was alarmed to see everything was in SPANISH!!!!! absolutely ridiculous..so after contacting the shop to get english instructions he was told 'no problem'!!!! that was 1 month ago and still no instructions have arrived. then dad noticed a good few missing parts that are obviously very important! and yet again when he rang to talk to someone in green model and hobby the guy replied when i get the instructions then we can talk about the missing parts! i can not believe how unprofessional this company is. my dad is very keen on building ship models and throughly enjoys making them, but now this experience has made him made him think twice. :mad: im sure other people will not have had the same experience, im just very angry because on top of this the company has stopped returning my dad calls which obviouslly makes me more angry. grrrrrr:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I work there on Mondays. I'll ask about it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

yes please could you have a word with them because its quite unfair.

I am working on the assumption your father is JH and the ship is a Christopher Columbus ship .....

What I found out was there are two problems:
    The first is according to your father, some of the documentation is multilingual with English, but some does not have the English.
    The 2nd is a little part that looks like a wooden hockey stick - several of this are not included.
    My understanding is this is going on something between 2 and 3 weeks.

On checking: the manual is not a downloadable item on any of the makers or the distribution, or anywhere else on the internet.
    Consequently the European distributors were contacted for a copy of the kit booklet. Usually they will copy or scan another one, and forward a pdf file within 2 days.
    But this time after a delay of a week the German distribution answered that their stocks are zero, and they are not in a position to do this, so they have ordered new stock from the manufacturer in Italy. There will be a delay (which should be just about over by now) until they have new kits with a new hard copy to work with.

After getting that response, to speed things up, a second approach was made direct to the manufacturers who are in Italy for an electronic copy. They did not send any reply or acknowledge the contact, and no reply has been got since. The distributors have responded to tracers, and answer calls, and have done so twice in email, and once by phone already.

However when all this works out, there will still be the missing part, which we do not have a part number for yet. (until that manual arrives) So to prevent that doubling the time delay, an order was put in for another of the same kit, as soon as the Euro distributors have theirs. This will mean that there is a source of the particular bit, in case duplicates cannot be made from wood measuring from an original in the new kit.

The reason for the slow dealings is already known to us from the replies to the recent tracers. There is a massive trade show on which ends today, and all the makers will have been away from their places of work for the past two weeks setting it up. I'm guessing that included every English speaker in the manufacturer and they will reply (but late) when those sidelined enquiries get looked at. But that ended today (or possibly tomorrow?) and is no longer a drag on sorting it out.

You Dad should have been informed about what was going on, albeit slowly, even if the final result have not been delivered yet, so he would know he was not forgotten about or being ignored. It appears he wasn't and people were waiting for the booklet before contacting him by a family members email or phone.
    That was wrong. So I will contact him tomorrow to bring him up to date with everything. Please tell him to expect my call. (But I will not be in the model shop tomorrow, so if he calls that number I will not be present to answer.)

Drop me a PM if you would like my mobile number for follow up on this until it's sorted. But I'll make that call to him anyway sometime in the morning, after I have phoned the distributors to see what progress is done.

right well thats sounds fair thank you, but your assumptions are not true, my dads instructions are entirely in spanish, i have seen them there is not a word of english to be found and i believe he is missing more than 5 parts, but he has not been able to discuss this because his calls have not been returned and the person whom he spke to did say that once he got the instructions then they could talk about missing parts.
    regards.

I will have a pdf of the English later this morning.
    Please check your PM box.

Advertisement