Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Harmony remote

Options
  • 19-01-2006 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got the Logitech Harmony all in one remote from Komplett?

Is it any good, specifically for Sky+?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

I'm thinking about getting this

Anyone else got one??

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Yep. Got the 885 model a couple of weeks ago. It's excellent...connected it to my PC, loaded software and from their website configured all the devices I have and my activities e.g. Watch a DVD - turn on TV, set to AV1, turn on AMP set to DVD, turn on DVD player - can do this now with one button - and one remote.

Only quirk I have a 32" TV about 4 years old (Sony) and it's loaded every option for a Sony TV (PIP etc) that are not supported. However I think I can delete the buttons from web config.

Wife thinks it's great - she could watch a DVD before this - too many buttons / remotes to manage.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

branners69 wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting this

Anyone else got one??

At 240 euro a pop, I doubt it!

I'll settle for having 3 remotes and keep the 240 thanks.

@emul

cheers for the reply.. do you have a problem with it not docking into its station and therefore not charging properly??

Did you get yours from Komplett??
    Sidane wrote:
    At 240 euro a pop, I doubt it!

I'll settle for having 3 remotes and keep the 240 thanks.

Each to there own.. if I hadnt spent €12,000 on gadgets in the past 12 months I'd be gettin this, it costs a grand!!

By the way the number of remotes I have is in my main room is 8!!

Actually after reading up on the Logitech 885 I'm tempted. 190 from Komplett, still expensive but would be a sweet gadget to have.

Might actually buy one for my dad, he splashed out on a home cinema recently for his retirement and has remotes everywhere. Even my mum would be pleased with having just one remote (once she got over the initial learning curve) :)

12 grand branners! Wow, what did you buy? Would love to have that much to splurge on techie gadgets.

• Advertisement

Yep bought from Komplett, had no problems with charging in the docking station. BTW not having SKY I have not tried it - but would reckon with the db of products supported it should be fine. BTW it's also a learning remote - so if it's not there you can add it.

Eon

Sidane wrote:
    12 grand branners! Wow, what did you buy? Would love to have that much to splurge on techie gadgets.

Glad to see I have converted you:D

For the 12k I have got the following:

Laptop
    2 x PSP
    2 X Nintendo DS
    XBox360
    32" LCD
    43" Plasma topend
    DVD Player topend
    AMP topend
    Surround Speakers topend
    iPod Photo
    Archos 400
    Digital Camera
    Phatnoise Car Audio System

Actually adding it all up its closer to €15k, oops!! Just dont tell her in doors:D

Just aheads up that Komplett have dropped their price to €165 for the Harmony 885, see it here

For that price am gonna get one of them over the Harmony 895!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I've a panasonic projector, the remote would work that too..? :o

just that it says "Supported Devices TV, DVD player, audio system"

I presume almost anything can be controlled?

also:

I have a Medion Pc, (from Aldi) and it has a remote control which I can use to a Medion media thingy, but was trying to find out how i could trap the commands in a VB program of my own and use send key to control media through winamp..or even if anyone knows of a winamp plugin? not too "up" on this...

branners69 wrote:
    For the 12k I have got the following:

Laptop
    2 x PSP
    2 X Nintendo DS
    XBox360
    32" LCD
    43" Plasma topend
    DVD Player topend
    AMP topend
    Surround Speakers topend
    iPod Photo
    Archos 400
    Digital Camera
    Phatnoise Car Audio System

I hate you! ;)
    branners69 wrote:
    Just aheads up that Komplett have dropped their price to €165 for the Harmony 885, see it here

Hmmm, now it's even more tempting.....

• Advertisement

You can go to logitech.com / products / harmony remote and do a test drive. There you can choose your config (tv type / projector etc) and that activities you want to config - watch a DVD etc. When you buy your remote you can load that test drive into the remote.

Eoin

Sidane wrote:
    I hate you! ;)
    You havent seen my credit card statement:eek:
    symbolic wrote:
    I've a panasonic projector, the remote would work that too..? :o

just that it says "Supported Devices TV, DVD player, audio system"

I presume almost anything can be controlled?

The 885 supports up to 15 devices, I reckon you should have no problem with your projector but a quick search here for the model of your projector or else check here and do as emul recommends above.
    symbolic wrote:
    also:

I have a Medion Pc, (from Aldi) and it has a remote control which I can use to a Medion media thingy, but was trying to find out how i could trap the commands in a VB program of my own and use send key to control media through winamp..or even if anyone knows of a winamp plugin? not too "up" on this...

Not too sure about your other problem sorry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Thanks..actually got the the phone controlling it now, so thats solved.

branners69 wrote:

Damn, its gone back up to €189 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I got the 885 in november. I have to say I really like it. Very handy to have, rather than the 6 remotes we would have other wise. There are though 3 problems with this remote.

1) Battery life is not very long (about 2 full days of use)

2) When the power runs out, setttings get messed up.

3) Recharching in the docking station can be problamatic. Needing to be reseated a few times for it to charge. Best is to always have the station on a flat/even surface. There also has been talk of people adding solder to the bottem connecters to help. But I have not done it my-self.

Other than those 3 problems, its a fantastic remote. Does all my stuff.
    JVC 32" LCD
    Creative Gigaworks speakers 7.1
    Creative DDTS 100 Audio decoder
    Kiss DP1000
    D-Link DSM-320 (Wireless Media Player)
    Sky digital box (standurd)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I got the 885 for 159 euros from Computer Universe in Germany. I've used them loads of times & never had any probs:

http://www2.computeruniverse.net/cupro/dest.asp?prod=90144915&id=3167&language=english&pm=b+DE

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

New Remote on the way according to this http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1674 which beats the harmnony hands down. Putting it on my wish list, and not too pricey either!!. Good site for gadget freaks by the way.

IMore info on remotes here:-

http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=LearningRemotes&

Another good gadget site.

Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

wexfordman wrote:
    New Remote on the way according to this http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1674 which beats the harmnony hands down. Putting it on my wish list, and not too pricey either!!. Good site for gadget freaks by the way.

IMore info on remotes here:-

http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=LearningRemotes&

Another good gadget site.

Wexfordman
    Looks the business. Don't expect we'll see it this side of the pond too soon. Also, another site quoting a price tag of $399, ouch :eek:

Advertisement