Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about signal strenght?

• 19-01-2006 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

i have a wireless eircom router in my front room.
    as i start to go back through the house (it goes back a long way...) i start to lose signal strenght

say in my kitchen i have full speed downloads on my laptop but in my back room i only have a quarter the speed. i have a centrino lifebook. if i get a pcmcia wireless card would it pick it up stronger and allow me to have full speed all over the property?
    in one particular room (me bedroom) i have only a quarter speed but right outside the door i have full speed...
    wierd or what?
    what would you recommend me do? and i CANT move the router.
    anything i do would have to be to my laptop
    thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

sorry wrong forum. can a mod move this to wireless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlikely that anything other than external aerial will help. A PCMCIA / PC Card doesn't make any difference here. We have two inspiron laptops. The older has a newer Dlink WiFi card. The newer laptop a built in mini-PCI. No difference.

Few cards take external aerials and the cable tail falls out or break on some as it is usually something more minature than a reverse SMA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can you move the router at all, even a few inches around where it is? Maybe higher up (if it's sitting on the floor for example) - even a small relocation can help.

Other thing - I assume you're talking about the network speed between the laptop and router dropping to 25% - do you need 54Mbps or whatever the full speed is on yours? My speed drops down to maybe 12Mbps depending on where I am in the house - makes no odds to me though as I only have 1Mbps broadband.

Unless you're transferring files across your internal network a lot and/or you have some ultra fast broadband nobody else knows about :) it won't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

no my download is 2Mbps and full speed i get about 210KBytes/s but far away 4m router i get a quarter of it...
    i spose just grin and bear it...
    thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

I was finding with my wireless router that I was getting a poor signal and regular dropouts on the other side of my house, no surprise, really. All I could really do was look at webpages.

However, as soon as I upgraded the drivers on my centrino's wireless card my signal strength increased and I now have a solid maxed connection (gaming, downloading etc). It might be something to look at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement