Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defastenism

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sorry to double post, but I think this is one of the best lines in their website:

IF YOU HATE OUR IDEAS OR JUST THOROUGHLY DISAGREE WITH US: START YOUR OWN MOVEMENT/ISM AS A REACTION TO OURS. THIS IS HOW PROGRESS CAN BE MADE IN THE CREATIVE ARTS IN THE ERA FOLLOWING POST MODERNISM. AS A GENERAL TREND WE REFER TO THIS POST POST MODERNIST PERIOD AS >>REMODERNISM<<. DEFASTENISM, STUCKISM AND ALL NEW NON PLURALIST PROGRESS IN ART ARE STRINGS IN A BROADER CULTURAL REVOLUTION THAT THE WORLD IS SO BADLY IN NEED OF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

Precisely the kind of 2nd rate, culturally decrepit, faux-millenarian, jump-on-the-remodernist bandwagon idiocy I would expect from NCAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Precisely the kind of 2nd rate, culturally decrepit, faux-millenarian, jump-on-the-remodernist bandwagon idiocy I would expect from NCAD.
    You're familiar with their work then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Fajitas! wrote:
    Anyways, what do you think of the work?
    From what I've seen of the work itself, some of it is very good indeed. Other pieces less so. There seems to be an awful lot of diversity in the actual artwork produced.

As for the movement, I have a hard time figuring out just what purpose it has, aside from being a collective of artists. There does not (in my limited knowledge of it at least) seem to be anything in the work produced that sets it distinctively apart as 'Defastenist' (maybe I'm wrong - ?)

Just a bunch of artists having fun with the idea of leaders and 'ministers'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

Movement is work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

The wokr is rubbsih and the wirting even worse.

"IF YOU HATE OUR IDEAS OR JUST THOROUGHLY DISAGREE WITH US: START YOUR OWN MOVEMENT/ISM AS A REACTION TO OURS. "

They fail to consider that some poeple might be opposed to the outmoded notion of an art movement in the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

many of the Defastenists are good friends of mine,they're great people, loads of fun and VERY hardworking. i like most of their work, seeing as i'm at the same standard as them college wise and they've already had shows in Berlin and London, i respect them a lot. there is only really one person in the group whose work i dont have an immediate reaction to.

all in all, they're a refreshing, original group of people and a lovely group of friends to have. their personalities are as much part of their work as the work itself.

Monkey; why is an art movement in the 21st century outmoded, hmm?
    Muesli; they created the current bandwagon. let us know when you're next show in Europe is on. or you could just get over yourself. jesus you're annoying.

They're doing something they all feel strongly about, and doing it well. end of story. It began as two, Gary and Alex, and now has about 15 in the group, jsut to make sure everyone thinks theres just three of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Defastenism

I REALLY COULD NOT AGREE LESS.... I THINK THAT DEFASTENIST ART IS THE CLOSEST THING TO CULTURAL ORGASM SINCE 1971!

ANONANONANON

WWW.DEFASTENISM.4T.COM

PS: THOSE WHO HATE IT JUST DONT REALISE THAT THEY ARE INFECTED WITH THE PITTIFUL SYMPTOMS OF POST MODERN DULLNESS >> WHICH THE DEFASTENISTS HAVE PRECISELY OUTLINED AS CYNICISM, SARCASM, RUTHLESSNESS AND BEGRUDGERY

ANY TAKERS?

I REALLY COULD NOT AGREE LESS.... I THINK THAT DEFASTENIST ART IS THE CLOSEST THING TO CULTURAL ORGASM SINCE 1971!

ANONANONANON

WWW.DEFASTENISM.4T.COM

PS: THOSE WHO HATE IT JUST DONT REALISE THAT THEY ARE INFECTED WITH THE PITTIFUL SYMPTOMS OF POST MODERN DULLNESS >> WHICH THE DEFASTENISTS HAVE PRECISELY OUTLINED AS CYNICISM, SARCASM, RUTHLESSNESS AND BEGRUDGERY

ANY TAKERS?

ANONANONANON

WWW.DEFASTENISM.4T.COM

ANY TAKERS?

• Advertisement

26416.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

defastenism don't want to be particular but it's really hard to read your writting when it's all in cap locks, and one post would be better then 5 consecutive posts for people to read. thank you.

ps i like some of the works you posted up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Some of it is indeed interesting... but would any of it have it's own shows and exhibitions around Europe if it weren't wrapped up in a so-called 'movement'?

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

Movement? The only thing in any way unusual about Defastenism is that people involved talk about it as though it actually makes a difference, but it doesn't. The art itself, some is nice, some is boring, some is godawful; but the simple fact is, Defastenism is a rebellion against nothing.

There are no boundaries in contemporary art, no restrictions, and the art that really tests the existence or otherwise of such boundaries falls far outside the confines of Defastenism, which is, sadly, not a revolution but a clique.

The fact that these people seem to feel that they need a manifesto is a clear indication of just how far in the past their mindset is stuck. As far as revolution goes, calling yourself a Defastenist is the equivalent of buying a Che Guevara t-shirt. It's part of a system you claim to reject by your very participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭petek

calling yourself a Defastenist is the equivalent of buying a Che Guevara t-shirt. It's part of a system you claim to reject by your very participation.

i wonder which artists group u have to join to get one of these?!

maradona1.jpg

a ****ing cool one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement