Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers Or Bruxelles????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Fan of Fibbers myself. Brux is too small and god help you trying to take a piss in the stall. The bands in Fibbers make it the winner in fairness.
    I can listen to music i know at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

bruxies for ever man,their is no comparison,its clean,has good drinks and it doesnt stink like a toilet.

when i win the euro millions im buying fibbers then knocking it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

anyone else notice that thursday nights in fibbers now charges €5 at the door? kind of puts a stinger on the night, especially when you find out it's because of people drinking kopperberg (or however it's spelled). apparently it costs fibbers €3.20 to import, and since thursday = €3/drink, they loose money on every kopperberg they sell. bah!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ph3n0m wrote:
    So who like the newly renovated metal section in Brux - I like my comfy sofas, I do :)

Plus finally a flucking mp3 jukebox, new dj (so long Tommy) only issue is you cant get to the DJ to request a song (boo!)
    What's on the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

What's on the box?

Sabbath to SOD, Suicidal to Pestilence

Aswell as the usual cheesy rock, rocky rock, bluesy rock, well you get the idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

anyone else notice that thursday nights in fibbers now charges €5 at the door? kind of puts a stinger on the night, especially when you find out it's because of people drinking kopperberg (or however it's spelled). apparently it costs fibbers €3.20 to import, and since thursday = €3/drink, they loose money on every kopperberg they sell. bah!
    they should by it in the offy then,
    its 2.39 a bottle.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ph3n0m wrote:

Aswell as the usual cheesy rock, rocky rock, bluesy rock, well you get the idea :)

Haven't been in lately, but I'd heard the new jukebox didn't do metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

exactly! I think they jus want more money

So whats up with Fibbers? They have Games tournaments, and I wana go, but everyone says its mad Dodgy, but I think its jus exaggeration, everywhere's just as bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ph3n0m wrote:

It has THE tendencies on there! If and when I live in Dublin I'll be in there all the time. :)

abetarrush wrote:
    exactly! I think they jus want more money

So whats up with Fibbers? They have Games tournaments, and I wana go, but everyone says its mad Dodgy, but I think its jus exaggeration, everywhere's just as bad
    dodgy,nha,
    its just a kip.

stinks of ****e but other than that its your usual kip,
    kids drinkin buckfast and watery beer and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

I rarely drink anything other than Buckfast when I'm in Fibbers and I'm not exactly a kid. 2-3 bottles of it and you can just about put up with the stink.

Haven't been in lately, but I'd heard the new jukebox didn't do metal?

Then you were lied to :eek:
    It has THE tendencies on there! If and when I live in Dublin I'll be in there all the time.

Aye THE tendencies - have expect WWM (since he likes the tendencies) to suddenly make an appearance :)

But aye the jukebox is much improved over the old one

Plus they also have several dvds playing in the background (with no audio) AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Megadeth, Alice Cooper and one or two others. Occasionally on a Friday/Saturday, the DJ will stop playing and allow the sound up on the DVD so you can hear one or two from the current DVD playing

Have to say much better set up - but getting served at the bar is a bit of a pain, unless the guys/girls behind the bar know you (ahem ahem :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dr Faust

What kind of game tournaments go on in fibbers? pool?

www.myspace.com/fibbersgames

mario kart / street figher et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dr Faust

crazy... i had no idea, is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

bruxelles is better i think but i rarely go to either. i dont go out at weekends to not be able to hear a bloody word my mates say in a pub and thats what the metal bar in bruxelles is like. I like the scenery sometimes becuase rocker girls can wear kinky stuff but the majority of the time you are dealing with verweight underdressed girls and its disgutsing. and then there are the unwashed long haired rockers who define the term 'smelly rockers'. ughhh.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    bruxelles is better i think but i rarely go to either. i dont go out at weekends to not be able to hear a bloody word my mates say in a pub and thats what the metal bar in bruxelles is like. I like the scenery sometimes becuase rocker girls can wear kinky stuff but the majority of the time you are dealing with verweight underdressed girls and its disgutsing. and then there are the unwashed long haired rockers who define the term 'smelly rockers'. ughhh.

ye fecking snob - most of us arent soap dodgers - so on behalf of all long haired rockers everywhere...we are soooo sorry you dont enjoy yourself in the brux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i didnt say anyting about longhaired people. its the ones who dont wash i was complaining about. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Ph3n0m wrote:
    So who like the newly renovated metal section in Brux - I like my comfy sofas, I do :)

Coming in on this discussion late.
    I've only actually been in Fibber's once. I've heard decent bands play there, so this'll change hopefully. The time we did go we spent downstairs which was...reeking of piss, really. The upstairs seemed nice though

Was in the metal bar in Bruxies there the other day and had no idea that anything was being changed, so I was fairly shocked going in. It seems to be more roomy, which is good. Couldn't hear a word anyone was saying though, but that's as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Ive heard alot of talk about fighting and hard men in fibbers as of late.Gobsheens going in thinking they own the place, smashing glasses and wrecking it.

I havent been in bruxelles in a while, was in after the new renovations were done.I have to say, excellent work.Better lighting, better tunes, nice televisions, comfy seats, and a fine pint!

Pity Ive no money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Fibbers Stinks... Bad

Especially €3 Drinks Night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Dathai wrote:
    Ive heard alot of talk about fighting and hard men in fibbers as of late.Gobsheens going in thinking they own the place, smashing glasses and wrecking it.

I havent been in bruxelles in a while, was in after the new renovations were done.I have to say, excellent work.Better lighting, better tunes, nice televisions, comfy seats, and a fine pint!

Pity Ive no money!

have to say i've yet to see any of these fighting men you speak of...

bruxelles is nicer now yeah, but i hate having to shout so damn loud simply to chat to mates.
    djmarkus wrote:
    Fibbers Stinks... Bad

Especially €3 Drinks Night.

all metal/rock bars stink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

have to say i've yet to see any of these fighting men you speak of...

I have, they're all the new kids, with their fringes and studded belts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Used to be a big fan of Brux but the renovation's not an improvement. The TV's are a pain, a complete distraction and they kill the atmosphere.

I think they need to turn them off when there's not a match or something on, because people are just sitting there and mooching, watching the TV but otherwise looking bored. What's the point in that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Swings and Roundabouts with Fibbers. It used to be like that years ago.

Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

I was in Fibbers a few times. The place smelt ****ing horrible and the beer was really grimey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Used to live in Fibbers (and Charlies) when I was a kid. Then when I turned 18 I felt too old and start going to Bruxelles. Hate Brux now mostly due to the smell, the flies and the volume of the music - yes I'm getting old :(

Shame Fibbers got rid of the old beer garden - that place held a lot of memories! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I used to live in Bruxelles most weekends - fond memories! I rarely ever go into Fibbers although the beer garden used to be cool. Only thing fibbers has going for it now are gigs for the likes of EyesClosed since they did away with the beer garden.

The new bruxies layout leaves a bit to be desired if you're trying to get a pint though :-/

But yeah ..,.. I remember Charlies too. last night .. heh heh heh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

Oobie wrote:
    Used to live in Fibbers (and Charlies) when I was a kid. Then when I turned 18 I felt too old and start going to Bruxelles. Hate Brux now mostly due to the smell, the flies and the volume of the music - yes I'm getting old :(

Shame Fibbers got rid of the old beer garden - that place held a lot of memories! :)

Jeeeez.. must be same age (roughly) as yourself. Charlies was the best ever and nowhere ive been comes close since.
    Used to go to fibbers when Martin and Chesney (Hawks) were doin bouncer on the door. Did the usual sneakin in the drink to the beer garden. Getting in before 6.30 so no to pay. Then fall out at 2am smashed drunk.
    Then it just went to Sh1t. Loadsa new age skateheads and the like. Terrible.

Moved to Bruxelles. One or two knobs around but at least music was good.
    Things change as they do and been to alot of clubs in the city with various friends. All bloody RnB, dollyboy, Bling, Arse, rubbish and end up standing there as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Foook off!!!
    So when i go to Bruxys, the louder the music, the better!! Its all there is in this town left as Fibbers hasnt a hope in hell of me ever goin in there.
    Bring back Charlies!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Really miss Charlies myself - must be closed nearly 10 years now..
    Wonder if it was still going though, would we all still be drinking there or would we have got bored with it?

Advertisement