Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers Or Bruxelles????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Had my first pint in Bruxelles in ages last night. I quite like the bar at the back. Overall the place looks good - almost like a real bar.:D

Looks like we paid for it though at 4.30 a pint of Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was in Fibbers yesterday evening and I was asked to leave when I questioned why myself and my girlfriend were being charged in the door before 9 pm.
    The retarded Moldovian bouncers are completely incapable of holding an intelligent conversation so when they are challanged about anything at all their answer is to throw everyone out.

I've been drinking in there for 10 years now and seen so many changes, but it seems that its just gone down hill altogether in the past few months. I really can't see myself going back there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Tazz T wrote:
    Had my first pint in Bruxelles in ages last night. I quite like the bar at the back. Overall the place looks good - almost like a real bar.:D

Looks like we paid for it though at 4.30 a pint of Guinness.

Hey I was in brux last night - where the hell were you sitting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just 7pm to 7.30. At the bar I was watching the RATM dvd that was on.

ah, I was in after that was over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

K-TRIC wrote:
    I was in Fibbers yesterday evening and I was asked to leave when I questioned why myself and my girlfriend were being charged in the door before 9 pm.
    The retarded Moldovian bouncers are completely incapable of holding an intelligent conversation so when they are challanged about anything at all their answer is to throw everyone out.

I've been drinking in there for 10 years now and seen so many changes, but it seems that its just gone down hill altogether in the past few months. I really can't see myself going back there again.

There's a little bollix of a barman in there too..i think he's polish.I brought a pint back coz it was flat and tasted horrible and he started arguing with me,saying all the pints of bavaria(i know) are the same.l.i cut him off mid-sentence when i saw the girl who'd served me and she happily replaced it.Its not the first time i've had a problem with the long-haired little twat and he'd better watch himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

only been in fibbers once... the music was better (heavier) but place was awful, but that was about 1-2years ago and the renovations hadnt been done then, but it was a dive

used to drink in buxelles about 5 years ago every saturday for about 1-2years and the music was great, been to bruxelles recently and im not too sure on the changes. i agree with the comment about the tvs being a distraction and i think the music has took a turn for the worst (a lot less heavy then the past), and i dont know if its just me but the crowd seem to be getting younger and younger..... maybe its just me, :D, also it seems harder to get a pint with the new layout. but we are in dublin and these are the only 2 options for a rock/metal bar that i know of..... 1 things for sure fibbers put me off ever going in there again as it was a real dump, only time il check it out again is if there is a gig on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm a regular thursday nighter in fibbers, but i'm still determined to visit dominion sometime. i'm an industrial-whore, but only know 1 other guy who's really into it. the whole "dominion = goth" thing puts a lot of people off in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Degsy wrote:
    There's a little bollix of a barman in there too..i think he's polish.I brought a pint back coz it was flat and tasted horrible and he started arguing with me,saying all the pints of bavaria(i know) are the same.l.i cut him off mid-sentence when i saw the girl who'd served me and she happily replaced it.Its not the first time i've had a problem with the long-haired little twat and he'd better watch himself!

Thats George, he's a little fecker alright.He's trying to make a name for himself in the place.Very pathetic.

i'm a regular thursday nighter in fibbers, but i'm still determined to visit dominion sometime. i'm an industrial-whore, but only know 1 other guy who's really into it. the whole "dominion = goth" thing puts a lot of people off in my experience

Its not bad, just very very small.They have the same smell problem as fibbers, but they burn incense instead.Good tunes though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Rockee wrote:
    Easy thread really! Which is your favoured alcohol and metal consumption den? Imo...it'd have to be Bruxelles, hotter girls and a nicer pint!:D

I would have originally said Bruxelles until they gayed the **** out of it and sold out. Whats with the Kerrang stuff in there now, thats not the Bruxelles I remember. I'm pretty much never going back there, its Fibbers from now on.

Yook wrote:
    I would have originally said Bruxelles until they gayed the **** out of it and sold out. Whats with the Kerrang stuff in there now, thats not the Bruxelles I remember. I'm pretty much never going back there, its Fibbers from now on.

Oh you mean the better jukebox, where people in the bar (usually students during the week) put on stuff that isnt "metal"???

Go in on any Friday/Saturday for DJ nights and in relation to the julkebox, its first come, first served, and who put on a rake load of songs - I was in last night and put on over 2 hours of quality music (none of yer pop rock - 'cept for Van Halen, cause they rock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

I was in Fibbers last night. It was worse than Central Bank. The little cunts.

I was in Fibbers last night. It was worse than Central Bank. The little cunts.

Should have come to Brux, two hours of music like Obituary, SOD, S.T, Decapitated, Enslaved, Zyklon, Ozzy, AC/DC, Motorhead, Van Halen, etc - and thats just what I put on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Hhahahahahahahhah

stoopid jackeens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Should have come to Brux, two hours of music like Obituary, SOD, S.T, Decapitated, Enslaved, Zyklon, Ozzy, AC/DC, Motorhead, Van Halen, etc - and thats just what I put on
    One of the people I was drinking with last night is barred from Bruxelles so I don't think he would have taken to kindly to us packing up and leaving him behind! That, and €3 drinks in Fibbers was all my wallet could stretch.

One of the people I was drinking with last night is barred from Bruxelles so I don't think he would have taken to kindly to us packing up and leaving him behind! That, and €3 drinks in Fibbers was all my wallet could stretch.

But that would learn him for getting barred :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Think it depends on what kinda night ya wanna have. Personally I'd pick Bruxelles, fair enough it's antisocial & full of posers but its in a good spot & does the job when there's no decent live bands in town. The music always rocks too. But I'd way rather be a stumbling mess in Fibbers it's just that kinda dump, i mean Place! plus, a few shots of Jager stops my sense of smell...:D

Serpentine wrote:
    Think it depends on what kinda night ya wanna have. Personally I'd pick Bruxelles, fair enough it's antisocial & full of posers but its in a good spot & does the job when there's no decent live bands in town. The music always rocks too. But I'd way rather be a stumbling mess in Fibbers it's just that kinda dump, i mean Place! plus, a few shots of Jager stops my sense of smell...:D

That always cheeses me off - people saying Bruxelles is "anti-social". Most people who drink in there, drink with friends, or groups of people. What is so anti social about that? Just because its not the Get Along Gang or Scooby Doo hideout where everybody knows each other, does not make for an anti social environment

And as for the "posers" thing - last time I was in, I didnt notice a cat-walk - just people getting down to some serious drinking and having a laugh with their respective friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Fibbers tbh,
    3 euro a pint, you cant go wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ph3n0m wrote:
    That always cheeses me off - people saying Bruxelles is "anti-social". Most people who drink in there, drink with friends, or groups of people. What is so anti social about that? Just because its not the Get Along Gang or Scooby Doo hideout where everybody knows each other, does not make for an anti social environment

And as for the "posers" thing - last time I was in, I didnt notice a cat-walk - just people getting down to some serious drinking and having a laugh with their respective friends

yeh i agree... what more do u want from a pub... walk in the door and everyone giving u a hug...? lol

Hey I didnt mention the anti social element first I was just agreeing with one of the first people on this thread, plus I wasn't the only 1 to mention posers,also the idea of a pub where everyone comes & hugs ya is just too scary!! I thought the comment about obese girls & smelly hairies would cheese you off a whole lot more! I wasn't slagging the place completely, Its a great spot I just find I can let my hair down more in Fibbers-and I know I'm not on my own on that one!

Serpentine wrote:
    Hey I didnt mention the anti social element first I was just agreeing with one of the first people on this thread, plus I wasn't the only 1 to mention posers,also the idea of a pub where everyone comes & hugs ya is just too scary!! I thought the comment about obese girls & smelly hairies would cheese you off a whole lot more! I wasn't slagging the place completely, Its a great spot I just find I can let my hair down more in Fibbers-and I know I'm not on my own on that one!

Heh there are plenty of the same in Fibbers :) But why do you feel you can let your hair down more in Fibbers that in Brux - genuinely curious about this

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Heh there are plenty of the same in Fibbers :) But why do you feel you can let your hair down more in Fibbers that in Brux - genuinely curious about this

There'sa couple of factors i feel.Firstly,fibbers is bigger,you've got more scope to walk around or find somewher to hang out.Secondly its a LOT cheaper than bruxelles especially if you're there on a thursday or drinking fosters(3 quid),thirdly it tends not to be full of the same people as bruxeles often can be,giving(bruxelles) it the illusion of being quite "exclusive".Fourthly fibbers is a bit of a kip and people who go there know it,revel in it and enjoy themselves instead of trying to look mean/cool/misunderstood!

Degsy wrote:
    There'sa couple of factors i feel.Firstly,fibbers is bigger,you've got more scope to walk around or find somewher to hang out.Secondly its a LOT cheaper than bruxelles especially if you're there on a thursday or drinking fosters(3 quid),thirdly it tends not to be full of the same people as bruxeles often can be,giving(bruxelles) it the illusion of being quite "exclusive".Fourthly fibbers is a bit of a kip and people who go there know it,revel in it and enjoy themselves instead of trying to look mean/cool/misunderstood!

Yup fibbers is bigger, meh to the second point, I can afford to drink whiskey, so its irrelevant to me :) Third, er yeah FIbbers would be full of the same people aswell.

And as for the fourth point - oh come on looking mean/cool/misunderstood - isnt that for the kids that hang out at the Central Bank - oh wait, most of them do drink in Fibbers :)

I think you will find that most people who drink in Brux are the old Fibbers crew (from the early 90s) so we dont have to look mean/cool/misunderstood - we defined it, were it and now we are all grown up and can afford decent drinkies - instead of blarrgh Buckfast or Fosters ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I think you will find that most people who drink in Brux are the old Fibbers crew (from the early 90s) so we dont have to look mean/cool/misunderstood - we defined it, were it and now we are all grown up and can afford decent drinkies - instead of blarrgh Buckfast or Fosters ;)

100% true. when i go into bruxelles i often recognise people that i don't actually know... and 9 times out of 10 it's because i know them as the bastards who got served that €3 shot of sambuka before me :D

I agree with the points made by Degsy! about letting my hair down, I just meant Fibbers has more of an atmosphere to do that plus the floorspace is a bonus

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Yup fibbers is bigger, meh to the second point, I can afford to drink whiskey, so its irrelevant to me :) Third, er yeah FIbbers would be full of the same people aswell.

And as for the fourth point - oh come on looking mean/cool/misunderstood - isnt that for the kids that hang out at the Central Bank - oh wait, most of them do drink in Fibbers :)

I started in bruxelles in the late eighties,moved on to fibbers in the early nineties,back to bruxelles from tehn up on till two years ago and now i'm back to fibbers.Cyclical or what?I can afford to drink as well but in fairness the prices in bruxelles are a bit of a burn no matter what you're drinking,to me its the actual drinking thats important and getting more booze for your money,and fibbers wins out on that point.HAving said that,bruxelles is a much better venue during the week or on a sunday,fibbers tends to be dead outside of weeknds and thursday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 QueenFru

I've been drinking in Fibbers for the past 6 months (maybe a tinchy bit longer...) and tbh I find it a lot better than Bruxelles... I may only be a young'un but I find the music, staff, people ..the atmosphere in general, just surpasses Bruxelles... In Fibbers I can go in, have a pint, have a cigarette in the "beer garden" (something which Bruxelles lacks..) and have a chat with whoever is there... In Bruxelles go in, pay through the nose for a bad pint, get bitched at by the cocky bouncers and no where to smoke aside from the front of the pub which gets crowded. Inside isn't great either, on one side you've got a packed "indie" bar and then you mosey on over to the "metal" bar where you feel intimidated by the "regulars"...

Fibbers wins for me.. :)

• Advertisement

The comfort factor of bruxelles wins for me in all fairness.3 euro drinks, yeah, thats grand on a thursday for fibbers.When it comes down to it, bruxelles surpasses fibbers for me.The music is to my taste, the people are to my taste(can have a good aul chat with them about something rather than in fibbers where for example, someone told me they were superman and that because I didnt prefer The Dresden Dolls over Vader I was a "spa").Its just a comfort factor really, more people I know go there, they're sound people.

Like I said before, its preference, I prefer my comfort rather than a pub with a cheap drink night.

If you dont like either, STFU and start your own pub.

Advertisement