Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers Or Bruxelles????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sh*t, I bet my mate a fiver that it was the last €3-drinks night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

SebtheBum wrote:
    Sh*t, I bet my mate a fiver that it was the last €3-drinks night...

a fiver because that would have been the cost of a pint? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

does anyone know if three euro drinks night is on wednesdays or thursdays at fibbers? some people are sayin its changed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

I thought I'd post here because I'm a relative outsider. I used to frequent both from about 98 to 2001, now I probably go to each 3 or 4 times a year.

I must say I get a terrible vibe in Bruxelles. I always get looks and even hostility especially from the dudes playing air guitar.

In Fibber's I've gotten hostility once, which was comical. I always get a friendlier, more tolerant vibe in Fibbers. Granted it's not the place it used to be (first pub I drank in before Type O I dont even know when!).

So for me fibbers takes it by being friendlier, livelier and perhaps because there are les old dudes playing air guitar shouldering me because I'm not a rocker (in the fashion sense).

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

I'll prob be crucified now but I've always found Brux to be full of groupie types looking bored & have met way more like minded rock bitches like myself in Fibbers, plus I agree Fibbers is way friendlier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Serpentine wrote:
    I'll prob be crucified now but I've always found Brux to be full of groupie types looking bored

although i prefer brux i have to agree with this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

source: manager guy dave...

well someone said that it was the last ever €3 thing, and it had to come from somewhere. word is it came from him in order to quelsh all the "rif-raff" going to the place

Yes,with fibbers image has allways been of paramount importance, profit a poor second.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was the three euro wednsday thing not just for the Leaving Cert results night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Grim_Reaper

As far as i know there's €3 drinks on wednesdays now either as well or instead... Fibbers well beats Bruxelles though... Its boring in Bruxelles but you're bound to meet some strange and entertaining people in Fibbers.

I'll agree that Fibbers is generally more fun...but the amount of spa's that go there as of late is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Bruxelles was a million times better in early 90s.

There used to be queues with about 100 people outside within to get into rocker bar, and if you weren't in before 830pm on a friday, you'd be waiting in a queue for an hour.

back then, there was loads of sexy rock chicks in it. and it would be so jammed in the bar, it was crazy packed. Bar was up at the back back then, where the DJ is now. seems like there was 100s of rock chicks back then... these days you'd be lucky to see 3 decent look chicks down there.

These days it is only a shadow of its formed self that rocker bar. after on firday nights we all used to head over to McGonnegles, and Firday night was metal night. drinking cheap piss wine for a fiver, and having an ol pull with a sexy rock chick, up at the back of the stage, while the DJ played Philo singing "Still in Love with you!" LOL!!!

Fibbers was better too when it opened in 91 I think. way better than now.

past few years, I liked going to the bar on the ground floor in Bruxelles, sort of a mix of all different people, and a haven for older 80s metal heads, who grew out of the rocker bar. great mix of music too from dance, to disco, to rock and a bit of metal. great buzz.

Thats one of the very few things I miss about Ireland, firday or sat nights in bruxelles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Funny how many times you mentioned "rock chicks" are ya frustrated or what :D

well I was not really going to bruxelles back then, for the company of pimplie teen lads in slayer t shirts, nor old crusty bikers muttering into their pints that Lizzy playing in Dalymount Park, was the best gig ever!!

The rock chicks were the attraction! LOL!!! mini skirts with studded belt around butt, and biker leather jacket!! LOL!!!!

anyway... I live in Thailand... there no shortage over here! ;-0

LOL!!!
    But this makes me ask, do people go to Bruxells looking to score with 'rocker chicks'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

LOL!!!
    But this makes me ask, do people go to Bruxells looking to score with 'rocker chicks'?

or do they go to Fibbers to score with the jailbait in there :)

yes i my time there 17 years ish back,,,,yes it did. cause there was tons of rock gee there.

these days there is none... and than I make none of past 5 years dropping in.

bruxele to me is on "old sick man" (in rocker bar) with no gee, no hot chicks, and no real fun! compared tolate 80s early 90s...back then it rocked.

yes i my time there 17 years ish back,,,,yes it did. cause there was tons of rock gee there.

these days there is none... and than I make none of past 5 years dropping in.

bruxele to me is on "old sick man" (in rocker bar) with no gee, no hot chicks, and no real fun! compared tolate 80s early 90s...back then it rocked.

what do you expect - we all grew up...though some of us didnt :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    or do they go to Fibbers to score with the jailbait in there :)

*shudders*

apparently last thursday a new barman in fibbers spiked the heino keg and a bunch of people wound up in hospital and a friend of mine passed out at some point.

scary stuff

well if that is the case - where is the news reports on this. Such a mass "poisoning" would be newsworthy - plus it can also be considered libel if completely unconfirmed - so you might just want to edit your post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ph3n0m wrote:
    well if that is the case - where is the news reports on this. Such a mass "poisoning" would be newsworthy - plus it can also be considered libel if completely unconfirmed - so you might just want to edit your post

He said ''apparently'' and had not stated that incident actually had happened.

Ph3n0m wrote:

as zane said, the word "apparently" is there for that exact reason. i didn't personally see anything going on myself but i do tend to spend a fair amount of time either downstairs or in the beer garden so it's not entirely unlikely for me to have missed such a thing...

A pub with three euro drinks all night and a few people got sick...serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

I personally prefer fibbers purely because I like to meet people in which have stuff in common with me! Fibbers and Bruxelles would have that although i prefer Fibbers because there is more room to move and its more socialible. Yes there is plenty of drama and **** that go there. But i either ignore them or laugh at those! I still met quite a few deadly people since i started going about 1 to 4 times every week which was about 2 years ago. Only the downstairs part is a dive but still it doesnt bother me. As of lately they put in a new girls toilets (which was initially mistaken for unisex toilets), they are currently in the process of building the new guy's toilets and are going to shutdown the ****ty toilets downstairs. Also all of the wallpaper has been torn down upstairs and all the walls were painted blue.

But still i wouldnt mind getting to know people in Bruxelles but i dont know anyone that goes there regularly. Whenever im there its usually during the day on a thursday or a saturday on my own or with a friend before going to fibbers. I also prefer the music in Bruxelles because they play a hell of a lot more metal than Fibbers.

I still like the music in Fibbers, but they play the same stuff a lot of the stuff all of the time and would like it if they played the heavier stuff more often since they tend to put on Prodigy, Madness, The Doors, Morrissey, some 80s dance music etc.

As for Thursday night i didnt hear of anyone getting hospitalized for spiked drinks but there was a bit of riot there outside fibbers after closing time.

Zerroth wrote:
    As for Thursday night i didnt hear of anyone getting hospitalized for spiked drinks but there was a bit of riot there outside fibbers after closing time.

spotted that myself walking off towards a taxi. a mate of mine has been arrested outside bruxelles for kicking the bejaysus out of some knacker who was getting rowdy with the "hippies". that sort of thing happens anytime you get a large bunch of drunken people together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Was in fibbers on thursday and, huzzah, there's finally a 2nd gents toilet. And a much nicer n cleaner one at that! No more queuing for 10 mins just to take a piss, and 20 mins if you're unlucky enuff to be waitin on a #2...

Good times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

any new thing that is put in fibbers is just another thing for the muppets that go there to destroy and pi$$ all over.

Was in fibbers on thursday and, huzzah, there's finally a 2nd gents toilet.

Hmmm....I can't wait to piss on that toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I was in Fibbers for the first time in a long time last Thursday, same as ever, crappy loud music, no free tables for a few hours and the usual smattering of arseholes.
    Nonetheless, after a few drinks and *cough*someone*cough* putting on a rake of decent tunes it became enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've not been in either place in a long-very long time.

What is Bruxelles like these days? Do you still get a free fly with every beer?

Advertisement