Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrade Question

• 19-01-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a Vodafone customer using a PostPaid phone that I didn't get from Vodafone.

I'm entitled to an upgrade on Vodafones website, and I'm thinking of using it to get a new phone for my mother. The phone is €129 RTG, but the upgrade will only cost me €49.

Can I actually do this? The VF website says that by buying the new phone, I'm entering into a new contract with them. Why? I've been with them for 5 years now, so what does the new contact mean?

Last question - if I do get it, will my mothers RTG sim work in it? I assume it will...

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

Because VF subsidise the cost of the handset they ask you to sign a new contract committing you to a specific period of time - either 12 month or 18 months, if you go with 18 months you get free insurance for the 18 months and are gauranted upgrade at the end of the contract.

Yes any VF sim will work in any phone got through VF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks PJ, much appreciated.

Next question! Do 2G RTG Sims work in 3G phones or does the sim need to be upgraded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

They generally work fine, as long as they aren't the old Eircell ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I am also thinking about upgrading and passing my old phone on to my wife.
    I'm a pay as you go with O2. I don't need anything fancy and they have a €69 upgrade phone with €90 free call credits.
    So, I'm thinking, instead of getting €90 credit for my phone over the next few weeks, I could get a phone for €69 + €90 free call credits, so in theory a new phone and €21 call credit for what I would be paying in top ups over the next few weeks, if you know what I mean.

My big query is, how long will this free €90 call credit last? Will I have to use it all in a specified period, I couldn't see anything about that on the O2 site, so I think it will just last until it runs out. Would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I know Meteor give you the free top up as you go, eg. when you top up €20 in one month you'll get €10. You can't use it all in one go as far as I'm aware and you only receive it after topping up and only once a month. I'm not sure about O2s specific policies but I'm sure it'd be quite similar to Meteor's with regards to this.

• Advertisement

LadyLotts wrote:
    I know Meteor give you the free top up as you go, eg. when you top up €20 in one month you'll get €10. You can't use it all in one go as far as I'm aware and you only receive it after topping up and only once a month. I'm not sure about O2s specific policies but I'm sure it'd be quite similar to Meteor's with regards to this.

Right. Thanks. Still €90 of call credit that I wouldn't have to pay for. Worth going for though you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Definitely. It'll still be a huge saving esp. if you tend to use €30 a month normally, or if you only need 20 a month you can let the extra credit add up and then not buy credit for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

@kleefarr

The only catch is the credit isnt all in one go
    You buy the phone and register it and you will get €20 more or less right away and then €10 per month for the following 7 months

Have now ordered this... Nokia 3120

I noticed that the €90 call credit will only be €90 if applied for online. Otherwise it'll only be €70.

I'm quite happy about it though.

Got the phone Tuesday. Very happy with it. Nice little phone. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement