Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial insurance

Options
  • 19-01-2006 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what criteria you need to meet to get commercial insurance.
    I'm in a golf tdi car which i genuinely use for work 95% of the time. the windows aren't blacked out and the back seats are still in, although they're always down.
    Is there a standard between insurance companies or do they all have different requirements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

cormob wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what criteria you need to meet to get commercial insurance.
    I'm in a golf tdi car which i genuinely use for work 95% of the time. the windows aren't blacked out and the back seats are still in, although they're always down.
    Is there a standard between insurance companies or do they all have different requirements?

I reckon commercial insurance is dearer than private, but isnt there something that allows you to use your car for work if its the means of your livelyhood.

I think some look for a vat no for commercial insurance, somebody can correct me on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you are using your car for work you need to tell your insurance company. If tools are carried and stored in the back of your car they may not be covered.
    A commerical golf should be in the car/van type. I'm sure no back seats or side windows are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Any car can be covered by commercial insurance, think of sales reps and the like.

If you use your car for work (as opposed to traveling to work) you should by right have commercial insurance in particular if you carry goods or items required or part of your job. This even covers sales materials, samples, etc.

The windows seats issue is more for VAT and car tax. A commercial vehicle has a reduced VRT can have VAT claimed back and reduced Car Tax

John

The windows seats issue is more for VAT and car tax. A commercial vehicle has a reduced VRT can have VAT claimed back and reduced Car Tax
    Ah, thats where I was mixing things up. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Are you confusing insurance with tax?

Anybody can ask for insurance cover for business use. Generally this is more than social, domestic and pleasure.

You can tax a regular passenger vehicle as a commercial. I certainly have had a passenger vehicle (a jeep) taxed as a commercial. It's difficult and the Revenue will really pin you down on it.

• Advertisement

You can tax a regular passenger vehicle as a commercial. I certainly have had a passenger vehicle (a jeep) taxed as a commercial. It's difficult and the Revenue will really pin you down on it.
    Ya, we tried that before. That is why I wasn't sure if it was possible or not. We use a passanger jeep for work and personal use, but could't get it taxed as a commerical.
    Wasn't sure about the insurance part. Thought cars needed to be lacking in back seats etc.
    Know now anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has to be a van - ie no rear side windows. You can put in a rear seat but your insurance would typically limit the number of passengers.

I once had a small car van and got stopped by an RUC woman suffering from pms who got on to me about my passengers in the back not being insured until I produced the cert there and then and it had "passengers" written. Well having only one passenger seat seemed to imply that I could have more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you manage to tax a car as commerical you avoid the NCT as they only test private cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Bond-007 wrote:
    If you manage to tax a car as commerical you avoid the NCT as they only test private cars.

yeah but you have to do a CRW or DOE, every year ;), my 206 car/van had to do one there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jwt wrote:
    Any car can be covered by commercial insurance, think of sales reps and the like.

John

Thats actually getting class 2 added to your insurance as opposed to getting a commercial insurance package. Relatvie bought a van recently to move stuff about instead of using his car and got commerical insurance for it that was 1/3 price of his car insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you are using your private car for work then you need to pay a little premium on the standard insurance. The size of the premium depends on what you will be doing.

There's Class 1 and 2 and A and B types.

I currently have class 1B commercial insurance. That is I am insurance to drive between clients sites, bit I am not insured to carry any commercial goods. For this I would need Class 2B.

The 1B bit cost an extra €150 pa. 2B would be an extra €600! :eek:

Advertisement