Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wednesday Nights

• 19-01-2006 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

It seems that Wednesday is the main night for the students this year...I used to work in Sheffs a few years back when Thursday was the big one...you'd usually see queues around the block for most of the decent bars. Things seem to be a bit quieter around at the moment though so what is everyone doing now, or where is everyone going?

I'm basically asking cause on top of my day job I do a few DJ nights a week and I was wondering what kinda things you'd like to see on a Wednesday night i.e. promos, music, earlier starts, quizzes...or whatever. I know that the priority with students has always been as much drink for as little as possible but that, obviously enough, is not always possible.

Anyway, I've spoken to your mod here and he agrees that it's a good idea to get some opinions about what would be good for you every wednesday night til the end of your term..

So throw your ideas here folks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Gaillimhtaibhse

Currently Stateside touring with a theatre company. Wednesday nights? Over here students call Wednesday night, "hump night," in recognition of it being half-way through the week. Then again, you can use your imagination and offer another definition... They too seem to go out in greater numbers on Wednesday nights, than, per se, Mondays, Tuesdays, or Thursdays. So to offer special programming for students and others on this night might have merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

a nice house night wouldn't go a miss. But the chances of that happening are ZERO! Wednesday nights will always be a night for pop tarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

They definitely won't be pop nights but you're right there would be 0 chance of getting house in a pub all night. I was thinking more along the lines of rock/indie/older stuff.

an indie night would probably work but it's mainly down to the venue you can get really. There aren't that many places in town who can host a dj playing in a bar. That new late bar where Baker Street used to be is probably your best bet venue wise. It's a late bar and isn't doing too much business, maybe they would be interested in getting a few heads in there mid-week. Worth the shot.

I think a hip-hop/soul/r'n'b night might also work on a Wednesday but it would have to be done right. No chesse at all!!!!

Well Revolution is the place. It gets a few students anyway but would obviously prefer more. The route, cause it's students is gonna have to be indie/rock with some r&b + hip hop thrown in. It's just a case of finding the right blend of promos too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

fade2black wrote:
    I was thinking more along the lines of rock/indie/older stuff.

well that would be lethal,
    it's what i would recommend cause it's the one thing we don't have here other than the forum on a saturday and that's starting to get more and more popy.

Well that's what it's gonna be then, I've been given about 20 or so free drink vouchers too so I can give them away throughout the night while playing the tunes that the students tend to like...(much like my own taste really).

The Man United game will be on the big screens too MayorDenis so you'll be pleased :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

*curses not seeing this thread until now*......maybe next time eh?

Well it was a pretty good night, but could have been better. Lot of free beer given out...lot of rock music as well as mad cheesy stuff from the 90s...a real student's night. Masons got the majority of them unfortunately. Would be good to see a load of boardsies there next time!

Different approach tonight.

We're gonna run a couple of Boards Exclusive offers...just so the guys that see this can take advantage. We;ll do it every week and it involves me posting some manner of a weekly compo and you basically PM me before wednesday nights to take part.

Tonight we're gonna run a soccer promotion. Basically all you've gotta do is predict the correct score OR first goalscorer in the Man Utd V Blackburn Rovers match.

If you're gonna pop in tonight and you want to take part and win yourself some free booze just send me a PM.

I know it's a bit short notice but if I get some interest for it hopefully it will take off down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I noticed that on Thursdays theres a lot less in then normal...

Apparently one of the Chience (spelling) was asked why there never in on Thursdays and the responce was "On Wednesday nights, we sleep with our girls". :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 angelbabe2112

when i started here 3 years ago at the start thursday night was the main night too due to fridays generally having less classes. then the clubs started letting people in for free on wednesday night so ppl started going out then due to no money into club= more drink in th club.
    something major has to be done down here though. anything memorable happen during rag week? not that i can think of anyway. was pretty crap.
    i think the fact that when there are big events be it dj's or anything in waterford it seems to be on saturday nights eg bud rising this saturday. why cant there be things like this during the week. we all saw how packed ten was with the dirty sanchez boys. sorry wish i could be more help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Talwin Hawkings

very true! dirty sanchez were such a dissipointment! remember goin to the toilet after they were finished and the bouncers were stoppin people from leavin cause so many were goin, massive crowds on the stairs and coat place.

think people are goin out wednesday now too is cause peop are sick of being hung over on the bus on fridays too. tis an obvious thing to say but revolution is one of the more expensive pubs at the mo and sp many students are drinking at home and goin straight to the club.

the reason people are going out wednesdays is to get in Rubys and The Bowery for free. They provide the only free entry into clubs on a wednesday night. I'm pretty sure that on a Thursday night Rubys/Oxegyen and Ten all charge something ridicilious like €8 to go in. No chance in hell i would pay €8 to see "DJ Paul" "spin" "tracks" that would do Tony Fenton proud!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its more or less down to free admition into the bowery for most people, and i think there a band on most wednesdays in masons or somewhere like that. correct me if im wrong.

Advertisement