Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"widows(ers) & deserted wives benefit" what about husbands?

Options
  • 19-01-2006 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a leaflet in the door, a tax & social welfare guide. One the back it has listed a "widows(ers) & deserted wives benefit" but what about deserted husbands? What is the definition of a deserted wife? Seems very odd in this day & age if it really is that blatantly sexist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you can no longer apply for deserted wives allowance, however if you qualified for the scheme before it was discontinued you will still receive the allowance so long as you fufill all the requirements

it was replaced by the lone parents allowance which isnt very odd or blatantly sexist...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

What are you suppose to do if you are recieving rent allowance and your husband walks out on you....as mine did this morning :( my 21yr old son lives here also and there is no way we can pay the rent between us, will the rent allowance be increased for me as a deserted wife or what? Does anyone know?? My heart is breaking and having to deal with this as well is enough to push me over the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

redroisin wrote: »
    What are you suppose to do if you are recieving rent allowance and your husband walks out on you....as mine did this morning :( my 21yr old son lives here also and there is no way we can pay the rent between us, will the rent allowance be increased for me as a deserted wife or what? Does anyone know?? My heart is breaking and having to deal with this as well is enough to push me over the edge.

Hi there, sorry to hear about that - you're best off asking on this forum here :

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Best of luck!

Advertisement