Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enablesoft

Options
  • 19-01-2006 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Greetings, does anybody here know anything about Enablesoft? I've been to their website, www.enablesoft.net - they came to my attention during my research on the progress of the Regional Broadband scheme in the NE of wicklow. They are the ISP for the local scheme, which is being rolled out under phase II of the Regional Scheme. They were apparently responsible for a similar project undertaken at sixmilebridge in Clare, inter alia.

The scheme involves a mast high on a local adjacent hill with all residents in a clear line of vision being able to sign up. Start up fee is 150 fazoons, with the heaviest service available a 2 down and 1 up, no limit for 50 bills p/m ex vat

I was just wondering if anybody had any prior experience of these guys, apparently they are close to completion in my area, with something called "backhaul" slowing the process up a bit. Mast isn't up yet.

Anybody care to expand?

Ta
    IT LOSER

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

A company called BBnet have partnered with enablesoft and they are doing the rolling out of the broadband products. They are live in sixmilebridge and a number of other towns in Clare and North Limerick.

www.bbnet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

just to clarify Enablesoft are no longer involved in the NE Wicklow scheme. They withdrew after a strategic review of their operations to concentrate on the schemes they had in the west.

The GBS is now working with Regional Broadband to roll out the service.

Cheers

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Yeah, I figured as much, I just wanted to hear it from someone else. If you could tell me when Enablesoft pulled out, that would be interesting. It appears that there are a truckload of issues to be resolved and the rollout date is being put back and put back and put back, the initial date was "early january" then "mid feb" and now "end of feb". I don't know if the delay is caused by the same factors that tempered the attitude of Enablesoft, or if the delay is caused by the fact that Enablesoft have pulled out, or a combination of both. I'm not complaining- I haven't paid a dime to anyone, but I sure hope this thing comes to fruition.

Enablesoft pulled out in late July when the service was supposed to go live in September.

The new provider was only approved at the end of September so they are quite aggressive in their rollout plans. The reason for the slippage is a technical one with the backhaul which is almost resolved. For the latest information you can see this webpage. In fairness to Regional Broadband they seem likely to be one of the first schemes approved under Phase II to go live despite their late entry into this project.

HTH

M.

Oh, don't get the wrong opinion, I'm well impressed by the efforts of those involved in the scheme. The very fact that a programme is being rolled out at all for 170 people is in and of itself very impressive. It's just that after my run ins with Eircom and Imagine, I'm taking nothing for granted!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flashtom

A newbie here, what exactly is backhaul? I too would like to have the broadband but their appliction says nothing about contention ratios or what happens if someone persistently overuses system to detriment of services to others. Some more information on the www.regionalbroadband.ie would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Backhaul is the networking system connecting the customer access point (cable segment on Cable TV, Wireless base station and exchange dslam for aDSL etc, server for dialup modem) to the rest of the internet, other ISPs and other access points.

If someone abuses the system then they will be warned about their beavhiour by email, if they persist they will get a second warning. If they still persist after the second warning then the service provider will either restrict their access or remove it all to-gether.

HTH

M.

Word has it now that the backhaul; issue has to a greater or lesser extent been resolved, and today I got an e-mail from regional broadband thanking me for my custom and confirming my order. Seems things are moving at last- word has it that 7 days from now could see the first users online.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

cant wait for the gbs to be up in running in the kilcoole area if my house fails the line of sight test i will demand a repeater system lol :D

• Advertisement

yeah, this line of sight test is bothering me, as of yet I see NO mast being erected on the top of Downs Hill.

Advertisement