Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling and wood flooring

Options
  • 19-01-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I will have an open plan kitchen living area and plan to tile kitchen wooden floor on living room. Intend mounting the solid wood flooring on 25mm battens giving finished floor height of about 45mm. Tiles however will only be about 12.5mm. I could put in different levels on finsihed floor but this is tricky as we are going timber frame and plan to have finished floor before frame erected so somebody suggested using osb under the tiles.

Has anybody done this - I know there is flexible tile adhesive and grout which is extremely expensive that can be used on wood however this guy reckons that because the osb is nailed to the concrete floor ordinary adhesive and grout will be fine.

Must admit it would be alot easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I spoke with a tiler recently about an upstairs bathroom on a plywood floor. He indicated that the plywood may flex and cause cracking later on and he suggested putting down Rockboard. Screw it down and tile over it. The sheets come in 4' by 3' and approx 1/2" thick.....Check out B&Q as the staff seem to think it's regular plasterboard and have undercharge me by 10euro a sheet on my last couple of visits....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

towbar,

I have exactly as you describe in my kitchen. There are cross battens under the timber floor, and osb on battens under the tiles.
    I used 'Ardu-flex'. I also used it in the utility room, as I put down osb to match the floor height with that of the hall. I can't remember the price but 'extremely expensive' may be pushing it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

noby fairpoint extremely might be wrong word but as I remember it was about €10 per square yard, thats the two part stuff powder and a 5 litre container.

anyway have you had the floor down long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The Ardu-flex isn't a two part adhesive. You just mix it with water.
    I'll try and find out the price tonight, when I go home. Or give your local builder's providers a ring.

We'll be in the house two years this march, so it's down about that long. No problems so far.

Advertisement