Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is United vs Liverpool still the big game in the Prem?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

iregk wrote:
    Doesn't everyone hate spurs, leeds and west ham though?

Meh, i'm ambivalent to spurs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yop wrote:
    Opps Bye Bye
    It's tastefully done at least; but you're probably right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

If you agree and say that united fans are moving on then why did you bring it up in the first place ? You have obvioulsy not moved on, looking for quarter when none was needed. If you think that change at a club is bad just have a pop around to Anfield or Stamford bridge and have a look at the trophy cabinet.

:confused: Em if you read my posts you'll see I was referring to Liverpool supporters.

Whats your point of reference for success at Anfield? From what I can see its taken you 2 decades to bring success back and you've yet to prove that its here to stay.

How can you use Chelsea as any measure of success? Millions upon millions is only going to have a positve effect, that belongs in the business and finance board, not the soccer board :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Whats your point of reference for success at Anfield? From what I can see its taken you 2 decades to bring success back and you've yet to prove that its here to stay.

took man u 30 years to win a league title. dont go opening cans of worms yo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Gegerty wrote:
    Kinda sums them up doesn't it?

well it's not as though they haven't had enough practice isn't it? But that is the last that I'll say on that subject right now.
    mayordenis wrote:
    I think mass cullings are in order.

Of who? Liverpool fans? Now I don't like them but I think that is going a bit too far :D

If you agree and say that united fans are moving on then why did you bring it up in the first place ?
    He was replying to p.petes post stating that he thought new players were needed.
    You have obvioulsy not moved on, looking for quarter when none was needed.
    Where did Gegerty ask for quarter? I didn't see it.
    If you think that change at a club is bad just have a pop around to Anfield or Stamford bridge.

Well both clubs have done what I think we need to do, change managers. It's a bit like you lot were with the last couple of years that Houllier was in charge, ah the good old days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I was almost starting to forget why I, and so many others, hate Liverpool fans so much...then I opened this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Great is'nt it? Oh whens the game on? ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Can't wait.

mike65 wrote:
    Great is'nt it? Oh whens the game on? ;)

Mike.

There's a game on? :confused: I thought this was a chance to throw abuse at each other (in a mildly funny way if possible).

fade2black wrote:
    I was almost starting to forget why I, and so many others, hate Liverpool fans so much...then I opened this thread.
    We're just jealous of united fans, they're the model we aspire to ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Of who? Liverpool fans? Now I don't like them but I think that is going a bit too far :D

Ahhah . . yea . . you just earned yourself a singular culling (not one liverpool fan, just you)
    this thread really reminded me how much i hate man utd fans.
    you are all evil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

/Me skips 4 pages of crap.

Game is still the biggest for me, Up there with Barca/Real Juve/AC etc as the biggest game in the PL. One of the 2 is always doing well never both together so this Liverpools 1st year since players had short shorts that they can possibly "expect" to beat Utd away.

Tbh it should come down to who is playing scousers and mancs the more the better.,

kdjac

mayordenis wrote:
    Ahhah . . yea . . you just earned yourself a singular culling (not one liverpool fan, just you)
    this thread really reminded me how much i hate man utd fans.
    you are all evil.

Now now, calm down calm down. Where's that famous scouse sense of humour then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So I assume the last couple of pages have been bannings and insults so I'll just skip over that.

For me, United Liverpool represents to two real giants in English football, those with the most trophies, the most fans, the highest levels of success over the past many years. That's why liverpool fans talk about 5 euro cups, not because it affects anyone else really, but it puts them well ahead of Untied. It's why United talk about our treble year also.

However it's been a long time since it's been a United vs. Liverpool premiership race, maybe next year, and in turn the fixture has lost somethign of its magic. But it still remains. I do love Arsenal vs. United but it aint the same since Keane and Vieira left, those two made it. Henry vs. Neville just isn't the same.

Man Utd vs. Liverpool has fond memories for me, especially with the peno save from the great dane, and I expect a classic match tomorrow, with a United victory.
    tbh, I'd take a 1-0 boring win right now, but I doubt that'll happen, not with Ruud and Rooney taking on Hypia, and Gerrard and Alson taking on Fletcher and Smith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I think it might come down to an age thing and when you started following football etc

"when I was a lad" the big game for me was playing the pool nothing else mattered aslong as we beat em home and away

some of my favourite memories of watching united are liverpool games like when we scored 3 goals in 7 minutes when we were one nil down ah bliss.

so for me it's still the biggest game, the arsenal game obviously is huge too, but i don't get very hyped up about playing chelsea for some reason, they're rarley good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Horrible news for Liverpool fans...Mike "How could i refuse United" Riley is the ref. :(

• Advertisement

I actually hate Mike Riley as a ref.
    He gives us loadsa penos no doubt about it, but of the 8 he has given us, only one i feel we didnt deserve.
    He creates a controversy always, always, and the game always ends up being about him, not the game, which is the worst type of ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United will definately get a penalty tomorrow if Riley is refereeing, I'm actually going to put money on it. I think at the moment though, this game is much bigger for United than Liverpool. They've been dumped out of Europe, look to have lost their way under Ferguson and have just lost to their second biggest rivals - City. If they lose tomorrow, Ferguson's going to come under some real pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

thank god its not bennett:rolleyes:

PHB wrote:
    I actually hate Mike Riley as a ref.
    He gives us loadsa penos no doubt about it, but of the 8 he has given us, only one i feel we didnt deserve.
    He creates a controversy always, always, and the game always ends up being about him, not the game, which is the worst type of ref.

Yeah hes rubbish, but i would say alot of those peno's were "harsh" if you will, one was never in a million years i.e the Rooney peno, but the amount of softies...argh!!!!!!!!! I just hope the football decides this match, not Mike Riley.

See I think Rooney's peno was an actual peno by the rules, but it was incredibly harsh, and a lot of those penos were harsh, but if I had my way, every harsh peno would be given, I hate this philosophy of its a foul outside the box, but not inside, so in a sense I liek Riley. But he only does it to home teams in home games.

PHB wrote:
    See I think Rooney's peno was an actual peno by the rules, but it was incredibly harsh, and a lot of those penos were harsh, but if I had my way, every harsh peno would be given, I hate this philosophy of its a foul outside the box, but not inside, so in a sense I liek Riley. But he only does it to home teams in home games.

Cmon, your winding me up? surely? Rooney wasnt touched, he dived. Under the rules he should of been booked. And "harsh" free kicks mean they shouldnt of been free kicks, just that theres not much consequence and its not highlighted. Imagine all the free's Duff gets? He falls when somebody breathes on him, if he gets a peno everytime he runs in the box (Because the box is filled with players and lots of breathing) The beautiful game will make me cry, and all for the wrong reasons. Riley is weak, hes like Jeff winter used to be, and winter ruined any match he touched unless the away team produced some magic. Id rather have matches decided by the best football, not rubbish refs' or great divers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good news for Liverpool -

from lfconline
    Liverpool have received an injury boost ahead of tomorrow's clash with Manchester United.

Liverpool received a boost when it was reported that Man Ure captain Gary Neville will be fit for tomorrow's game.

Neville has done a lot to help Liverpool record victories over Man Ure at Old Trafford recently. Firstly he decided to play volleyball outside his own area, giving away the free kick Danny Murphy scored the winner from in 2001. Then he brought down Steven Gerrard in the box with such a blatant foul even Mike Riley couldn't ignore it, giving away the penalty that Murphy scored the winner from in 2004. He also fell over in front of Robbie Fowler at Anfield allowing God to pick his spot past Bartez in the Treble season.

Neville missed both games last season and it was no coincidence that Man Ure won both. His return tomorrow will be a boost to Rafa Benitez' side.

Mike.

Great! :D

Advertisement