Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to source internal glazed bifold doors

Options
  • 19-01-2006 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi

Hoping someone can assist.

Just in the tail-end process of putting an extension on to a house.
    We are planning on having double doors from old back room into new Kitchen/dining room.

As the middle room (old back room) will now not have any direct light coming into it from the outside we had hoped to put glazed double doors in place.

In order to save on space avoiding dead space that a full 30 inch door would result in when open, and also make a feature of the doors we were hoping to put in 15-pane style bifold doors.

What we are looking for is something along the lines of the link below - we plan to check these out but the do not seem as thick as a normal door (1 inch)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=169871&fh_search =door+bifold&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=11 37600297656

The gap at the moment is approx 62-63 inches so we are looking for either

Readymade bifold glazed 15-pane-style doors, each door approx 30 inches
    OR
    4 seperate approx. 15 inch glazed 15-pane-style (probably 5 panes per door) that could be hinged together and mounted as folding doors.

We can make the doorway larger to suit if it is a matter of inches.

I have tried a lot of the door stores in the dublin area but as they are not the usual style they do not stock them

If anybody has any experience in sourcing non-standard doors or trying the above I would be most grateful.

We are in the dublin area but are willing to travel to pick up the right doors.

anybody any experience of trying to source something like this up North ?

thanks

TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi tc,

You might be faster going to a joinery and having the doors made, they would be more expensive than B&Q but you pay for quality.

Regarding the glass panels, especially the lower ones take care they should be Safe Glass to prevent anyone especially children from getting serious injuries.

Costelloe doors might have ready mades to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi TC ( agus an Roo)

Last year did this job for sister. She had hole knocked in internal wall, sized to take 2 standard doors. She wanted 4 doors in same space. that's what you're after, right?.The prices she got were telephone numbers. Quality may have been the best, but with cheapest quote well above 2.5K €.
    I came accross pine bifold doors at 50to 60 € per set of 2, pre-hinged with large leaf flush hinges. Choice was limited, she wanted 6 panel. they had some "stained glass" types(top 1/2), similar in design to old front doors ,which became popular for a while 15 / 20 yrs ago. Doors are about 2 inch thick, pine (but soft) and quite heavy. Had no trouble hanging set on heavy brass butt hinge( with extended hinge point, to "wrap around" pillar, ie to open not 90 but 180 degrees) to frame.
    Got them in ....oops...either Texas Homebase or woodies...or one of them...The same store has a shop in Omni and Old Naas rd centre. I'm always mixing them up
    Check with desk when you find them, choice and quantity was very limited, they may order them in for you ....but as I say at that price...
    t
    RP....don't you dare....you may think about it, but don't

Advertisement