Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless woe

Options
  • 20-01-2006 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i have an eircom netopia dsl router linked to a linksys wireless-b broadband router.i want to use my laptop elsewhere in the house.i can download files on the bearshare filsharing network on my laptop but i can`t access web pages at all.i have the wireless card and all drivers etc.in the laptop.i also want to network with my pc.can any one help.????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

can you get to the admin page of the wireless router, try 192.168.1.100 etc,??? when you get there setup your ssid wep keyes etc...and then configure you laptop's wireless card the same,

also do the configuration with the laptop and wireless router beside each other to rule out interference problems, ie max signal strength

try use the program that came with the wireless card rather than the built in wireless support in xp!!

also make sure that the eircom modem and wireless modem are not both acting as dhcp servers!!

the best thing to do is, assuming that the wireless has 4 lan ports, connect the wireless router to the eircom router using a lan port, and disable dhcp on he wireless router, the reason is that the eircom router will then handle all ip address allocation, which will give the right "default gateway" which will give internet connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I use the same setup as you. I have a Zyxel router/modem from BT, and a Netgear Wireless router. I also think I know what your problem is, it is a conflict on your network or a bad configuration. To sort this, work backwards.

First unplug your wireless router and disconnect all the network cables.
    Connect your laptop to the LAN port of your wireless router.
    Plug in the router, and go to its admin page, and go to WAN/Internet/Basic settings. For Internet IP and DNS, set it to receive its settings automaticaly.
    Now go to the LAN settings, give the router the following STATIC IP: 192.168.2.254 and the following SUBNET mask: 255.255.255.0
    Go to the DHCP settings, make sure that DHCP is enabled and set the DHCP Server starting address to 192.168.2.1
    Now go to the wireless settings and turn off the security settings, disable WEP/WPA security for the moment. Make sure that Wireless and SSID Broadcast is enabled. Now disconnect the network cable connecting your laptop to the router and open the wireless networking tool that came with your wireless card. Scan for networks and you should detect your router.

Now connect your eircom modem to the routers WAN port and wait a minute before trying to access the internet, if you can access any website then you are done, if you cant, try accessing the eircom modem setup page (192.168.2.1). If you cannot see it then unplug the router and plug it back in with the network cables connected. If after the wireless router reboots you still cannot connect to a web page then your modem is not providing an IP address so you will need to give your wireless router a static IP that is on the same range as your modem. Go to your wireless routers settings page, and go to WAN settings. Select Static IP and give enter the following details:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.253
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway IP: 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.254

Try it again, if you cant access the internet, then try connecting to the modems settings page and if you can, enable the DHCP server, then go back to your wireless routers settings page. Go to the WAN settings page and set the IP addresses back to automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 telecom75

I`ll Give It A Go .thanks

Advertisement