Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Community Update - 1/18/06

Options
  • 20-01-2006 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Community Update - 1/18/06

Listen up Soldiers!

By now, you have all seen the list of fixes in the next update (1.2). We are still trying to nail down a few final items and put the final touches in place.

Here's a list of additional items to look for in version 1.2:
    • UAVs are now visible in the world so if you are being scanned, you can know about it and take action against it.
    • Rank progression is no longer limited to the enlisted ranks. All officer ranks are now available.
    • Bug that allowed players in vehicles to contest a flag from outside the flag radius is now fixed.
    I’d also like to take this opportunity to clarify some confusion stemming from our updates.

The first item is on the topic of grenades. Players will still be able to toss grenades while jumping. Although the ability to fire while jumping has been removed, players will still be able to initiate a grenade toss prior to jumping and follow through with the toss, thereby gaining themselves some extra distance. We understand that there will be some adjustment in tactics required when the patch comes out but we are confident that the community will quickly come to grips with the new tactics.

The second item is on the topic of the booster packs. We have not created the maps as a separate expansion pack requiring a separate server. The booster packs will increase the content of the base game and thereby may be run on a server in regular rotation with the original maps.

Hope that clears up some of questions you’ve all been asking.

[EA]Mike and the rest of the Battlefield Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The second item is on the topic of the booster packs. We have not created the maps as a separate expansion pack requiring a separate server. The booster packs will increase the content of the base game and thereby may be run on a server in regular rotation with the original maps.

I don't understand. What if I don't have the pack, and it loads a Euroforce map? Do I just get kicked?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Zillah wrote:
    I don't understand. What if I don't have the pack, and it loads a Euroforce map? Do I just get kicked?
    yeah, that's wrecking my noodle too.
    Wouldn't you have to have the booster pack to play on the server that uses it's maps or be kicked?
    I still havent got SF.... and I dont intent getting the booster packs either... feels like I'm being slowly squeezed out!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Dont waste your money either whiskeyman on SF, my cousing got me to get it and ive only played about 4 hours, the night vision gives me a freakin head ache, only thing I like about it are the ropes and ziplines, I would love to play Karkland with ropes, snipe from any roof :D

Im guessing you get kicked from the server if a booster map comes up next on the cycle, I just hope you can connect to the server if a regular map is currently playing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you join a server that runs booster pack maps then you can join no problem but get kicked as soon as the new map comes up. You'll probably get a message saying that you have to buy the pack to play the map.

but before everyone starts complaining, EA have said that it'll be clear in the browser which serevers are running which maps so you can't accidently hop on a server only to get kicked later.

I get about 1000 ranked servers with a ping of <100ms. If 50% of them moved to booster maps and I didn't buy it then I'd still have a load to play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

wonder if the addition of officer ranks will cause a reorganisation of the point requirements for the existing ranks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ponster wrote:
    If you join a server that runs booster pack maps then you can join no problem but get kicked as soon as the new map comes up. You'll probably get a message saying that you have to buy the pack to play the map.

but before everyone starts complaining, EA have said that it'll be clear in the browser which serevers are running which maps so you can't accidently hop on a server only to get kicked later.

I get about 1000 ranked servers with a ping of <100ms. If 50% of them moved to booster maps and I didn't buy it then I'd still have a load to play on.

I still think this is gona suck monkey balls. I rearly use the server browser to join servers. I often follow mates in through xfire, what if they have the boosters and I dont. Its EA trying to force people to buy them cause they are a shower of money grabbing B`tards. Buy special forces and ya get extra weapons that others may not have sorta thing. Its all about money to EA, the rankage system kills the moded servers and the only mods that rank EA make ya pay for. Anoys the hell outa me.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I still think this is gona suck monkey balls. I rearly use the server browser to join servers. I often follow mates in through xfire, what if they have the boosters and I dont. Its EA trying to force people to buy them cause they are a shower of money grabbing B`tards. Buy special forces and ya get extra weapons that others may not have sorta thing. Its all about money to EA, the rankage system kills the moded servers and the only mods that rank EA make ya pay for. Anoys the hell outa me.

thats all true , but EA is a games company they there to make money by selling games , so you can see there point , make money on a good game , make more money on a expanchion pack for that game 6 & 9 euro is feck all for enpanchion packs look at SWG and there money grabing they lanuch a ex pack and a week later change the whole fecking game and most the people that play the game leave

game company are there to make the most money they can a company like EA is a big fish there and has to preform are die

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Rank progression is no longer limited to the enlisted ranks. All officer ranks are now available

explain please....

I often follow mates in through xfire, what if they have the boosters and I dont. Its EA trying to force people to buy them cause they are a shower of money grabbing B`tards.

Sorry but that's a load of crap. It's EA's fault that your friends buy the game but you don't and then you try to connect to servers that you can't play on? How is that?

Scruff wrote:
    explain please....

Enlisted ranks are most of the ones we have at the moment.

Pvt
    PFC
    LCpl
    Cpl
    SMOMC

They're adding officer classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Scruff wrote:
    explain please....

They added more ranks I think, so there are non-commisioned officer ranks aswell, seen the new rank structure on another battlefield forum, cant find it now though.

EDIT:
    Ponster wrote:
    Enlisted ranks are most of the ones we have at the moment.

Pvt
    PFC
    LCpl
    Cpl
    SMOMC

They're adding officer classes.

what he said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Rank progression is no longer limited to the enlisted ranks. All officer ranks are now available.

So do ya have to go to officer school first??
    Never mind that its impossible in real life to go from a noncom to a commisioned officer - you'd be far too old after going through all the ranks of a non commisioned officer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

All sounds pretty good to me it will give the game a bit of a jist to it, and the expansion packs are fairly cheap anyway, even i can afford em...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Archytas wrote:
    Never mind that its impossible in real life to go from a noncom to a commisioned officer - you'd be far too old after going through all the ranks of a non commisioned officer.....
    Just as well it's a game so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Not necesarilly, It happens. doesn't happen very often though. I know in the Irish army, you are limited to a certain rank (Lt Col I think) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

afaik a nco can become an officer without having to work thru ranks. If they notice you have officer type skills they will send u to officer school and you become a 2nd Lt. The other way is thru a battlefield commission. A battlefield commission is given to enlisted soldiers who are promoted to the rank of Commissioned officer for outstanding leadership on the field of battle. I don't know if they are limited to what ranks they can attain after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Yeah I know about the other things.... But in the game you have to become some superdooper seargent major thingy before you can move upwards to 2nd LT....

Was just saying... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

irlrobins wrote:
    afaik a nco can become an officer without having to work thru ranks. If they notice you have officer type skills they will send u to officer school and you become a 2nd Lt. The other way is thru a battlefield commission. A battlefield commission is given to enlisted soldiers who are promoted to the rank of Commissioned officer for outstanding leadership on the field of battle. I don't know if they are limited to what ranks they can attain after this.
    I'd say they'd be limited to a Lt Col as well. I've also heard that if you receive a promotion in the field, it can only be taken away from you in the field (not sure how true that is though). Anyway, back to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

My take on the situation is that the maps will be available to all on any server that has the pack, but only people who buy the euro pack will be able to use the army....

It would make sence any how, not allowing people on a server cups the comunity in half -> not good.

Makeing maps that every one can use but are more suited to armys not every one has would be a better marketing ploy...

Advertisement