Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arctic Monkeys

• 20-01-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Surprised to see no thread about this band, but just thought I'd say I bought the album today. Its pretty good I can see myself really getting into them. Kinda remind me of the Jam on some tracks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Ye, just got it won't get to listen until this evening though. i've heard the demo's and they are great .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Yeah good album alright on the first listen. Need to give it more time though before I decide what I really think... Am hopeful though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Great album, no real surprises for those who have been listening to the demos for ages though, but I still think i still like the fact there is still something different in all the songs yet without losing their origional charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Great album, no real surprises for those who have been listening to the demos for ages though, but I still think i still like the fact there is still something different in all the songs yet without losing their origional charm.

Yeah spot on.

F**king deadly album, a classic album. It will take something else very special to top this as album of the year. I'd liken it to a degree with Definitely Maybe.... anthem after anthem it's classic indie/punk rock n' roll. All the hype is completely justified and it's really a case of how big will they be? I'm sure they'll get bigger and bigger (they deserve to be as big as Oasis were 10 years ago) but I'm worried that the blaze of publicity surrounding them may get to them becasue they're still only 19/20 years old.

However they're a very special band who I'm sure will be around for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Heard the album, very catchy tunes indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Eire05

It's a classic album IMO. I've only listened to it once and all the songs (apart form the singles that were already released) on it sound much better than the demos. I was afraid they'd make a hash of the re-recorded tracks, just like they did on Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts but it's just not the case. :D
    Even though I've heard every song over and over again before it simply doesn't dissappoint. I'm glad that I didn't download the leak.
    For those who have bought the album, what do you think of the new lyrics in Riot Van? I think they just as good as the original. I like the way Alex tinkers with lyrics in different songs. It give you a reason to hold on to the old demoes.

One thing though, why was it released earlier over here than the U.K.? Not that I care anyhow!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

haven't heard the album yet but if "scummy" and "I Bet That You Look Good...etc" are anything to go by, there'll be some damn good catchy tunes on that album.

Eire05 wrote:
    One thing though, why was it released earlier over here than the U.K.? Not that I care anyhow!:rolleyes:

This is my understanding. Albums are generally released in Britain on a monday. They are delivered to Ireland on a thursday/friday for the monday but the record stores just release them as soon as they have them. Although in some cases (big releases) the record stores will hold on to them until the actual release date.

Back to the album, the lyrics/music on Definitely maybe are brilliant and i don't think Arctic Monkeys album has topped that (not sure t has come close but thats more of a reflection on DM), but the 'energy' (maybe wrong word) of the AM tracks is explosive. Looking forward to the gig on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Beastieboy wrote:
    This is my understanding. Albums are generally released in Britain on a monday. They are delivered to Ireland on a thursday/friday for the monday but the record stores just release them as soon as they have them. Although in some cases (big releases) the record stores will hold on to them until the actual release date.

Back to the album, the lyrics/music on Definitely maybe are brilliant and i don't think Arctic Monkeys album has topped that (not sure t has come close but thats more of a reflection on DM), but the 'energy' (maybe wrong word) of the AM tracks is explosive. Looking forward to the gig on monday.

I may be wrong but if you look at any posters advertising forthcoming albums in Ireland I think the official release date is actually the Friday before it comes out anywhere else on a Monday. I don't think it's a case of the record stores selling them whenever they get them.

I may be wrong but if you look at any posters advertising forthcoming albums in Ireland I think the official release date is actually the Friday before it comes out anywhere else on a Monday. I don't think it's a case of the record stores selling them whenever they get them.
    I think we're both right to an extent :D i've seen first hand that if a record store receives a delivery of cd's they are likely to release it as soon as they they have regardless of release date though i've also experienced the opposite where the cd's were on the shelf but not being sold until the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I have listened to the album in part and i watched them on mtv last night. They are very young and i think all the media hype is going to ultimately backfire. The fact that the music press is crying out for a new oasis isn't helpful. The music industry is really desperate for a new "big" band, Coldplay (god help us), was the last and the pool of talent is shallow.

In terms of critical acclaim Arctic Monkeys are this year's Arcade Fire, another band who we're TOLD are great. Dont get me wrong Arcade fire are a good band as is their album, but its certainly not great. People seem to try to hop on band wagons early so that they can say they were right, without giving due thought to the music.

I hope I'm wrong but i think they are going to be a flavour of the month, like Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs. They should be allowed to get on with getting better without the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

i love this album but i was so disapointed when i got it! i have so many demos,live tracks etc. that i already had all tracks except for dancimg shoes! o well! mardy bum and when the sun goes down are still brilliant!

holly x)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

luv nearly all there songs. ****in deadly band ive been listenin to them for some time now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

Without doubt my favourite band right now!Even though i've had the demo's and stuff ages the album as one whole piece is nothing short of genius!Anthem after anthem,theres already predictions that it could be the fastest selling debut rock album in the uk charts with an estimated 200,000 sales in its first week..Anyone hear their cover version of Girls Aloud-Love machine on bbc/radio1 yesterday morning??Brilliant!!

I hope I'm wrong but i think they are going to be a flavour of the month, like Franz Ferdinand or Kaiser Chiefs. They should be allowed to get on with getting better without the pressure.
    Yeah, except these had a large following before the hype. I think you should face the fact that they're quality. Don't mind the bandwagon jumpers and just enjoy the fact that a decent band are gonna make it big.

RAUL DUKE wrote:
    Anyone hear their cover version of Girls Aloud-Love machine on bbc/radio1 yesterday morning??Brilliant!!
    Aye, I was suprised by how good it was.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

in Ireland I think the official release date is actually the Friday before it comes out anywhere else on a Monday

You are most correct. Ireland releases music on a Friday. This is done because the Irish charts are compiled on a Thursday so it's to get the maximum amount of sales over a week. In the UK the chart is compiled on a Sunday so the records are released on a Monday. At least that's how I remember it.

Eire05 wrote:
    Yeah twas quite funny. did you see what else they could've played? i think it was slipknot, the streets, and some dance song. not a great choice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Eire05 wrote:
    I thought it was horrible. There was a horrible knowingness to it and the accents ruined it. It was basically the original with a northern lilt.

It's part of this ridiculous habit of ascendent indie bands of thinking that they are arch masters of post modern irony if they stoop to cover some Britney Spears etc. Just stop it. You're sucking the life and fun out of pop songs in a misguided attempt to be vaguely subversive. Stop it now.

As regards the album, initially, I felt let down by it. All of the top quality songs on it I'd known from demos/internet and the new additions were hardly of the same calibre. Riot Van is filler and only that. Overall, the album would merit an eight or a seven and a half but calm down people, it's not the reappearance of Jesus Christ in a speedboat being chased by SMERSH agents. Here's a little clue, whenever an album is described as "essential", tread carefully.

Moreover, with the manner of the way the Arctic Monkeys have built up their following, beware the band with a pre-fabricated army of internet zealots before they actually release anything of note. These people are more often than not risible indie scenesters who catch a hold of every rising balloon in the hope that if it floats, "they were there are the start".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

Robbo wrote:
    I thought it was horrible. There was a horrible knowingness to it and the accents ruined it. It was basically the original with a northern lilt.

It's part of this ridiculous habit of ascendent indie bands of thinking that they are arch masters of post modern irony if they stoop to cover some Britney Spears etc. Just stop it. You're sucking the life and fun out of pop songs in a misguided attempt to be vaguely subversive. Stop it now.

As regards the album, initially, I felt let down by it. All of the top quality songs on it I'd known from demos/internet and the new additions were hardly of the same calibre. Riot Van is filler and only that. Overall, the album would merit an eight or a seven and a half but calm down people, it's not the reappearance of Jesus Christ in a speedboat being chased by SMERSH agents. Here's a little clue, whenever an album is described as "essential", tread carefully.

Moreover, with the manner of the way the Arctic Monkeys have built up their following, beware the band with a pre-fabricated army of internet zealots before they actually release anything of note. These people are more often than not risible indie scenesters who catch a hold of every rising balloon in the hope that if it floats, "they were there are the start".

well then its u prob just dont have that first time astonishment like when you hear an album for the first time!
    its nothing to do with the music not being good if you just had it all already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

anybody got a link to the girls aloud cover from that radio program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Very good album no doubt about it, rocking music and strong lyrics. Its a bit of a nonsense for people to be saying things like "I've listened to it once, its a classic". Its too early to be deciding how important it is or its rating on the classic scale, that only comes with time but for now I'm enjoying it, thats the main thing afterall! Roll on Tuesday night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I got the album and had a listen to about the first 4 songs and changed to another album. I realy dont like it at all, it has an annoying sound to it, reminds me of the jcb guy or your man from streets.

Didnt like them at all, ha da goo a tthe album after all the hype I hear, and people saying they will be better then Oasis or the Smiths, good luck, dont think so.....

yeah...well listen to it again, cos it is. But it depends on taste i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well I got the album and had a listen to about the first 4 songs and changed to another album. I realy dont like it at all, it has an annoying sound to it, reminds me of the jcb guy or your man from streets.

Didnt like them at all, ha da goo a tthe album after all the hype I hear, and people saying they will be better then Oasis or the Smiths, good luck, dont think so.....
    You judge them and the album on listening to the first 4 songs? Okay.

I can't stop listening to it. I suppose if frantic catchy singalongs aren't to your taste them you may find it annoying but personally I can't enough of them and I reckon they will dominate the British music scene this year.

Helper_Monkey banned for a week for abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

..and they namecheck my favourite place in the whole world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Bstatic wrote:
    . Kinda remind me of the Jam on some tracks!

Agree.Even the lead singer has some uncanny Paul Weller similarities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Its a Good album. Love fake tales from san francisco, and from the ritz to the rubble. There gonna be a big band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

..and they namecheck my favourite place in the whole world.

where?

Rotherham!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

No i was born there tho.

Hillsborough, home of the great football team:D

Gileadi wrote:
    anybody got a link to the girls aloud cover from that radio program?
    I thought I posted this link before but my computer must have messed up. Here it is.

*Link deleted*

Sorry, I have to delete the link. It's copyrighted material that goes against the charter. I deleted it the last time, forgot to tell you, you're computer is fine.

However, a quick google tells me that you can listen to it legally from the BBC's site.

Link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

was anyone else at their gig last noght in dublin? it was amazing i wasnt let down by them at all like i had feared be4 the gig.

any thoughts on the performance? choice of songs etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

they were very good, can't say they blew me away though, ok the music and lyrics are very good but definitely at times the lyrics are into Mike Skinner territory. I thought We Are Scientists were impressive. Overall a strong lineup and a very good night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmono2001

i was at the nme gig last night and was just in a daze. the monkeys were the stars of the show last night blew me away. i was fearing after so long listening to the demos and downloading new album(dont worry mr. turner i bought it the day it was released!)that i might have set the bar too high for them to impress me but im so glad to say that they jumped well clear of it.they were excellent from start to the finish.

maximo park werent bad either! paul smith the front man was great entertainer and i loved the keyboard player's robotics

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Admiral Scoop

I've heard a couple of their songs and in my opinion they are nothing special. I've found that with alot of bands who are hyped up so much. I'm not saying that I don't like them, coz I do, I just think that they have nothing special about them. I find them very similar in many ways to alot of bands that have made it "big" in the last year and a half/two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've had it for a while and frankly I'm stunned by the kind of hype and attention they're getting. I thought the album was alright – couple of decent tracks, nothing spectacular and lots of filler. I honestly can’t see any difference between them and dozens of other bog standard indie bands other than the fact that the NME has decided they’re the ‘next big things.’ They strike me as another flavour of the month and I certainly don’t think the album is worthy of being mentioned as one of the great debuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

I have only heard a few songs yet, some decent, some a bit meh.
    But whatever about the band, is anyone else sick of Tom Dunne sucking them off every minute on the radio. It seems like every time I turn on pet sounds (only listened to it in my shower!!:D ) he is shooting the load in his pants about them.

Fair enough, they might be decent but his obsession with the band (a mention of them every 0.384 seconds) fries my head so i've stopped listening to him.

Let people make up their own minds and like the album for its quality, not because you drill the name Arctic Monkeys at them repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

i dont like the way people dont like a band cause they are hyped. alot of bands are hyped and then fail but i think the arctic monkeys do have something special about and they are only young. their acne is proof of this.

anyway i thought they were class but i was really impressed by we are scientists. i had their album be4 the gig but didnt have a chance to listen to it properly and i must say they are quality. their bass player has an original stlye something that seems more fitting to the 80s or napolean dynamite!! but still cool none the less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

It seems like every time I turn on pet sounds (only listened to it in my shower!!:D ) he is shooting the load in his pants about them.

Poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭RAUL DUKE

They blew me away last night,i havent been as excited about a gig or a band for that matter in years and they didnt disappoint..Havent sang as loud in years,my throat is so sore today!!..I had been thinkin about it for a while but last night they confirmed that they are without doubt my favourate band..Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 john_henry

ive been listening to the album from start to finish for the last few weeks now and ive come to the conclusion that its great for the first few listens but becomes extremely repetitive after that. the songs just seem to blend into one another anonymously. the thick accent he sings in doesnt help on this matter either. some clever lyrics in places though. liked the line about weekend rockstars in the toilets practicing their lines and the one about the hot new band wearing trilbys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Is it worth buying the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dick Darlington

They're good but does nobody else notice that it's just The STREETS with a rock band?
    Very similar stuff but for an indie/rock/alternative crowd ?

I aint saying thats a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

They're good but does nobody else notice that it's just The STREETS with a rock band?
    Very similar stuff but for an indie/rock/alternative crowd ?

I aint saying thats a bad thing.

ah no these guys deserve to get the hype, they are a great band lyrically and instrumentally they sound brilliant. They probably remind me of the streets cause they sing about the same stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

I wouldn't consider them to be a "great band lyrically" atall. I find nothing poetic about them. Their alright I suppose but I don't see what all the hype is about. They sound like The Libertines/The Streets/Oasis to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

ah well i suppose each to their own, but u should listen to their album, especially from the ritz to the rubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭sparkulicous

Aporia wrote:
    I wouldn't consider them to be a "great band lyrically" atall. I find nothing poetic about them.

Why do great Lyric's have to be poetic?? Can great lyrics not be about everyday things like they sing about??

• Advertisement
Advertisement