Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the retailer called Game thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My managers would have said "well done" if I'd been the one telling the customer that maybe buying a kid an 18-rated game wasn't such a good idea! Which branch was this btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i worked in xtravision and would have been given a pat on the back for refusing to serve u-18's like that. some stores actually wish to obey the law (i know it's more advisory but ffs..)

anyway, story time! was in HMV blanch at their meagre 360 collection. the place was stuffed. loads of kids staring out the games to see what to buy with their christmas money. 2 staff members and a security guard were within earshot. i had to.... i launched into a tyrade with my brother about how disgraceful the price is. i went into economics too, mentioning how half life 2 brand new costs 50 odd, and cost about 60million to make, and the best of these games cost very little extra to make because they're PC ports.

staff members looked fairly anxious when some kids dad said "are you serious?" and went off to PC World to check them out. had to leave then, security was heading my way.

stick it to the man, i say. i did the same in GAME just to piss everyone off (i'm very pissed off at these prices at this stage. it's a joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

My managers would have said "well done" if I'd been the one telling the customer that maybe buying a kid an 18-rated game wasn't such a good idea! Which branch was this btw?
    Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Renevant

i worked in xtravision and would have been given a pat on the back for refusing to serve u-18's like that. some stores actually wish to obey the law (i know it's more advisory but ffs..)

anyway, story time! was in HMV blanch at their meagre 360 collection. the place was stuffed. loads of kids staring out the games to see what to buy with their christmas money. 2 staff members and a security guard were within earshot. i had to.... i launched into a tyrade with my brother about how disgraceful the price is. i went into economics too, mentioning how half life 2 brand new costs 50 odd, and cost about 60million to make, and the best of these games cost very little extra to make because they're PC ports.

staff members looked fairly anxious when some kids dad said "are you serious?" and went off to PC World to check them out. had to leave then, security was heading my way.

stick it to the man, i say. i did the same in GAME just to piss everyone off (i'm very pissed off at these prices at this stage. it's a joke)
    Wow! Well Done! Even now I'm sure they're scurrying down their secret tunnels to Microsoft HQ to inform them of the dangerously challenging dissident :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

monument wrote:
    The "rights bs" (so, nicely put by a staff member of Game)

just curious what my employment has to to with me sayin all this "rights bs"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i got xbox at game, and splinter cell and i got home to see no game in the box.
    stinger, i wanted to play it.

but the guy who served me was very helpfull and told me what deals were best, live etc etc so.. cancells out.

but game people in blanch. JOKERs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

evad_lhorg wrote:
    just curious what my employment has to to with me sayin all this "rights bs"?

Just saying it’s nice to see how someone who was trying to defend a retailer talk about consumer rights.

I was just taking the piss, but if you don’t want people to talk to you in this way it might be advised to limited childish comments such as "gamestop sucks a fat one im outa here not bothered with all this rights bs".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Placebo wrote:
    well i got xbox at game, and splinter cell and i got home to see no game in the box.
    stinger, i wanted to play it.

but the guy who served me was very helpfull and told me what deals were best, live etc etc so.. cancells out.

but game people in blanch. JOKERs

Exactly. I regularly go into them asking how much they'd give me for a game if I was to trade it in. The look on their faces when I tell them I don't have the game there but just want to know. You'd swear I was asking them to shoot their granny or something.

Just today I went in and asked one how much I'd get for Project Gotham Racing 3 for a friend. The fella behind the counter looked at me as if I had three heads, before informing me that I'd have to return with the game. I explained to him that I planned to bring it in the next day and could he tell me how much it was worth to trade in.

He then started mumbling on about how prices were constantly changing and that he could couldn't give me a price. He genuinely seemed scared to do so and kept looking in the manager's direction. I was about to explain to him that I could just as easily walk in with the game, give it to him, get him to scan it and then not trade it anyway but couldn't be bothered.

They refuse to give you trade in prices over the phone also. I realise there's alot of competition but why be so secretive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I wonder to the managers beat their staff in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I have to say ive never had a problem with game in blanch. Got money back from something i got that wasnt working without a blink of an eye the manager just apoligised over and over it was funny. Their staff are very freindly for the most part and they do try to help although sometimes they dont know what their talking about but that happens in most game shops, once brought a second hand ps2 game back cause it was a pc game the girl was looking at it and asked how i knew :-(

Only thing i would say is that the whole we cant tell you how much it is till you bring it in is a load of crap they dont have an explanation for why either but they are so nice I just cant hold it against them. In fact ive not gone anywhere that told me how much things where without the games in front of me im sure its so you will just go ah go on fine where if you where told splinter cell is worth .50c you would tell them where to stick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Tbh i think that hame henry street is fine. I thought a few years ago it used to be terrible but recently it's picked right up. Never had any trouble with the manager (red haired guy?), he was firm but fair to me. Thought the staff seemed happy enough to be working there aswell. No probs for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lemlin:

Regarding needing to see the disc to quote a trade-in price: From working in Gamestop, which has the same policy, it's in order to avoid ugly scenes of people coming back in with games a week later when the price may have dropped, or coming back in with games that look like they've been used as dinner plates and demanding the quoted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I work in game on henry street, im getting seriously offended by this thread and suprised it hasnt been locked. All the people iwork with are nice people, managers are managers and have repsonabilities and have to run a shop, might been having a bad day. But no need to like judge us all by it. I know i always do everything to help people..

As for price matching, we dont match argos because they can sell items way cheaper, sometimes below cost price, cause they have no expenses. They pay nothing for display or displaying stock, they just bring it up from a massive stockroom, minute price you might think but bigger then you would know.

Also you get no customer attention, no one can help you with products nor do staff have a knowledge of what they are on about.

Just dont go bad talking us all, at the end of the day go to the general floor staff we are all nice people with a good ol brain who will try help ya out.

And i totally agree mick thinks hes swiss cheese, dope e is =D

And regarding trade ins, we cant jsut give you a random quote without seeing the product. Thats like having someone come to you saying, yeah ill pay you 5 grand for that car without having a look.

The games must be checked for books and disc condition then scanned into the computer which gathers the price back due to stock count etc etc. We cant count stock on the top of our heads.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I don't think anyone who posted on this thread has a problem with the majority of the staff of Game on Henry St, just an individual; the manager. I myself don't live in Dublin, nor have I been into Game on Henry St often, my posts were of Game's retail practices in general.

As for lagunas comment, this ahs to be done to display the games we have for sale. Its jsut the way it is, same in Cd shops same everywher eyou go, people tamper with the goods your about to buy.

You simply jsut have to ask for a sealed game and we will go get one for you, well i do anyway i aint got a problemo with it =D this christmas i always asked people would they prefer a sealed game =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

As for lagunas comment, this ahs to be done to display the games we have for sale. Its jsut the way it is, same in Cd shops same everywher eyou go, people tamper with the goods your about to buy.

You simply jsut have to ask for a sealed game and we will go get one for you, well i do anyway i aint got a problemo with it =D this christmas i always asked people would they prefer a sealed game =D

Yeah I know mate, all the high street shops tamper with DVD/CD/Games and it really ****ing annoys me! :o. Yeah, there's plenty of cool people like yourself who will offer a sealed copy but I still find the majority of copies are ripped open AND the fact that no game shops (game, gamestop etc) will allow the trade in of PC games ****ing does my nut in as well!..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I work in game on henry street, im getting seriously offended by this thread and suprised it hasnt been locked.

Why? If you've been reading this forum for a while you'll know that people can post their experiences of shopping for games good and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I work in game on henry street, im getting seriously offended by this thread and suprised it hasnt been locked. All the people iwork with are nice people, managers are managers and have repsonabilities and have to run a shop, might been having a bad day. But no need to like judge us all by it. I know i always do everything to help people..

As for price matching, we dont match argos because they can sell items way cheaper, sometimes below cost price, cause they have no expenses. They pay nothing for display or displaying stock, they just bring it up from a massive stockroom, minute price you might think but bigger then you would know.

Also you get no customer attention, no one can help you with products nor do staff have a knowledge of what they are on about.

Just dont go bad talking us all, at the end of the day go to the general floor staff we are all nice people with a good ol brain who will try help ya out.

And i totally agree mick thinks hes swiss cheese, dope e is =D

Argos have no expenses? They have to pay rent for that 'massive stock room' - they're shops/warehouses are way bigger then game, way more rent.

Game just screw people with their prices. Thats all.

I dont have a problem with the staff to be honest, just whoever prices the games €10/€15 more then other places. You can pickup old stuff at a half decent price, but anything recent is just financial rape, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

See - this is what makes everything worse - when there's actually more cool people in the shop than people realise because a manager decides he's gonna go the extra mile to earn like 2 euro but at the same time produce a customer who thinks - what a complete scumbag and then shops online for life.

I go to shops for customer service, and most staff in most game shops are cool - its always the managers being greedy or rude that ruins it for everyone.

Online shopping for me - sorry Doc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

See - this is what makes everything worse - when there's actually more cool people in the shop than people realise because a manager decides he's gonna go the extra mile to earn like 2 euro but at the same time produce a customer who thinks - what a complete scumbag and then shops online for life.

I go to shops for customer service, and most staff in most game shops are cool - its always the managers being greedy or rude that ruins it for everyone.

Online shopping for me - sorry Doc.

Very true, it takes one bad experience to erase memories of all the good experiences. And I've had at least 4 or 5 bad experiences in Game over the last couple of years, which stand out in my memory a lot more than the times I just bought games without a problem.

I've only been working there last few months =/

But its written in our store policy thing the only place we dont price match is Argos, and the shop that has the price must be in the area and must be the exact same deal and currently in stock.

But I think the staff are ok, wel i know the floor staff (not managers or security) are really sound,funny and know an absolute rake load bout games.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I asked what the normal price for a trade in on fifa 06 for xbox was, and got a reply, without bringing the game in.

Now, this was in Game Henry St. The assistant also said the word "usually", hence I wouldn't demand any quoted price, also i'm not a teenager, so maybe more likely to see things from their point of view (which I can).

I'd never usually use the high street for buying games, relying on amazon, or the states, but it wasn't bad.

I work in game on henry street, im getting seriously offended by this thread and suprised it hasnt been locked.

To add to what amp said, click on this report.gif button to report any post you may think breaks the charter, the law of the land, or just moral decency.

Be very clear as to what part of any post breaks the above.

You can complain about our moding of the thread here, but seeing as you have still not even complained about a single post in the formal way, that would be pointless at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Thats like having someone come to you saying, yeah ill pay you 5 grand for that car without having a look.

No but they at least tell you what the current book price for the car is. The simple reason you dont give the prices out regardless of what it says in your staff handbook is because people would tell you to f off if you gave them the insulting prices you offer for the game, if it wasnt for the kids who dont know better shops like game wouldnt get away with it.

Im not saying anything about every staff member in the shop im sure most are fine but the manager seems to be a right little hitler from what people including myself have seen from him. If you really work in game then you should be getting a laugh from this thread instead of getting offended for no reason.

Go to smyths with a game and watch then offer you 70c like they did me.... We dont offer anything lwoer then a certain price....and most of the time we tell you to sell it to a mate or something youll make more......

And if your brining in games like fifa 2000-2003 or something what price are you expecting?

What games did you bring in id like to ask? Games probably not worth anything =/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Go to smyths with a game and watch then offer you 70c like they did me.... We dont offer anything lwoer then a certain price....and most of the time we tell you to sell it to a mate or something youll make more......

And if your brining in games like fifa 2000-2003 or something what price are you expecting?

What games did you bring in id like to ask? Games probably not worth anything =/

The reasons you have given for not giving our prices are downright laughable. As pointed out, all you have to say is something like: "provided the game is complete you will get _____" or "as long as the game is in good condition".

Whenever I go in to ask the staff for a price, they look at me like a rabbit caught in a set of headlights. It really is annoying. If I'm in work and want to call in to check how much they'd give me, I don't want to have to haul all of the games in with me.

Xtravision seem to be the best for trade-ins anyway. I haven't tried Smyths so can't comment.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

And regarding trade ins, we cant jsut give you a random quote without seeing the product. Thats like having someone come to you saying, yeah ill pay you 5 grand for that car without having a look.

Hmm..obviously you've never gotten ballpark figures off car dealers over the phone for trade-ins...they are usually happy enough to give them with the caveat that "well I'll have to see the car to firm it up.."

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

to game employees...I have a copy of Burnout 4 Revenge. My nephew yanked the disc and it is cracked. I paid full price for this and dont really want to have to buy it again (even though it is €30 now). the young (manager?) in Game (Dawson Street) was decent about it and said that unfortunately there was nothing he could do. I am just wondering if you know of anyway of getting replacement discs from EA. I have the original disc, box and manuals. I have paid for the software, all I need is a replacement.

I find the staff in Henery Street to be decent but the manager to be rude. Dawson Street has always been decent though.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the manual, near the back. Or contact EA vie http://electronicarts.ie/

Advertisement